Thread: Transmission Keep leaking

My Cars
    528i

Transmission Keep leaking

So I did a fluid and filter change on my car. But the filter I had was the wrong one so was the seal. So I put the pan back up and add new fuild with the same old seal and add new bolts thinking i will be fine. So when I look under my car the next day there big puddles of fuild that I am losing so I get under the car and check where I am leaking from and dam it. its my transmission pan so i can see where the leak is coming from I tried to tight that one bolt some more and it striped so I put another bolt in and that one striped. So now I am worried beacuse i dont know how thoese bolts could of striped When i could remove them by hand. Should i just drop the pan down again try to get the right seal and put some gasket sealant and put the pan back up. I dont know what to do and need ur guys help.

My Cars
    87 325is
    It sounds like you stripped the threads in the transmission from over tightening the bolts in a mis-guided attempt to correct the failure to use a new gasket. It that turns out to be the case, the fix will be a new (correct) filter and seal and Helicoil/Timesert inserts for the damaged threads. And of course the correct torque on the fasteners when re-assembling.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    528i
    What is Helicoil/Timesert I never herd of it i think i am going to order the filter and seal but please explain more on this so i can get it and fix my car its just sits in the drive way