RM European Auto Parts

Thread: New Check Engine Light Issue?

My Cars
    1996 328i

New Check Engine Light Issue?

OK guys

I have searched but I have not seen this issue with the check engine light. Previously I had my light activated due to a bad secondary air pump. I replaced it and cleared the codes and light went off so I could get it inspected. I took it in for the inspection and was told it failed inspection because the check engine light did not illuminate with the key turned to the on position. It is supposed to light up and then go off after starting car up.

They suggested that the bulb may be burned out. I guess they thought I may have taken it out in order to pass inspection. I didn't do that and I know it was working the day before when I cleared the codes for the secondary air pump.

Does anyone have any idea why my check engine light will not come on with the key in the on position when it was working the day before. I tried to take the instrument cluster out to check the bulb assuming it may have coincidentilly burnt out. I could not get the wire connections unplugged in order to get it out.
    Sorry for the long post.

Frustratedly yours
    Scott

My Cars
    87 325is
    A burned out bulb, a fault in the cluster, a wiring fault, or a problem in the DME are all equally likely at this point. More diagnostic work will be required to find out why the light doesn't illuminate when the key is turned to ignition on.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL