Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: The Ultimate Engine Oil Guide for E36 M3... First stop for any information/questions

My Cars
    1999 M3 Coupé
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    What's wrong with the oil it was supposed to have? Why dies everyone think their climate is sooooo extreme that it requires special oil? It isn't and it doesn't. Use what was originally intended for the car.
    I think you missed my point, and I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

I do NOT know what the original oil that this car came with was!

OP said this:
    • Early Production M3's (up to early '99): BMW 15W-40 (Mineral Based, DINO)

But when I telephoned BMW to double check, they said 10W-60 synthetic. The owner's manual has that confusing-as-hell temperature chart. I'm just confused on what oil to use. :/

My Cars
    ''95 M3, '17 M2
    Quote Originally Posted by wghummel View Post
    Sorry to bump an old thread again, I figured it was better than making a new thread that isn't needed. I just purchased a 1999 M3 with what I believe to be the 3.2 S52 engine. I live in Ohio, but I won't be driving this vehicle in the winter months, only around April-October. I would say temperatures in that time frame range from 35-95 degrees Fahrenheit. I called BMW and they said 10W-60. I did some research and came up with 0W-40 - full synthetic of course. Which one would be more preferred for the climate range I listed above? (PS: Sorry for noob post, trying to learn.)
    So many opinions. M1 0w40 European Formula meets BMW specs and is available at Walmart in 5qt jugs.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Good discussion despite tons of contradicting info. That BMW temp chart is a pretty broad stroke but is also pretty clear. I figure I'd revive this for the worried socal folks approaching the butthole of summer. According to the chart a 15w40 would be fine, preferably a synthetic. If your garage is like mine, it faces south and gets blasted with direct sun 2/3rds of the day. My garage door is not insulated so it feels like a pizza oven when I walk out to my car. With that said, that 15 cold weight might actually be lower after reading that the cold weight is measured at 32°F. I'm thinking the only sure way to find the perfect oil to run is to send samples because every engine is at a different stage of wear on this forum. You may also want to consider shoving a glob of Crisco in there so it congeals on the cam lobes and lifters, creating a nice lubed surface on startup.. :p

My Cars
    325e,M3/4/5,540iA,X5 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3 View Post
    Low oil pressure at idle, I'd check to make sure the sender is good (~8 bucks), then I actually measure it with a gauge, then I'd start by replacing the oil with xW-30 or xW-40 oil, and if still low then its probably a worn oil pump or main/rod bearings.
    Fun times but glad info like this is really available
    Montego/Saddle E91 328i xDrive - Estoril/Cloth Blue M3/4/5 - LeMons 325e - Artic/Black 1998 540iA (shell, for sale or donation towards LeMons)

My Cars
    98 BMW e36-M3 Saloon

Images not readable

I know this is an old thread but the “photo bucket” images are not readable nor downloadable. Anyone know how I can read them?

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    Chrome extension "Photobucket Hotlink Fix"

My Cars
    Bmw E36 M52 Stroker
    Thank you kind sir. Helps a lot. If you could please help, what about a stroker M52b30 recommendation? If not thats ok. This helps a lot still.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    5W30, 5W40, 0W40 are good choices. If you live in a very hot area and spend a lot of time at high rpm, maybe 5W50. All synthetic. I like Mobil 1. You can buy it cheap at Walmart and there are occasional rebates. I use it in my 08 E61 535xi with JB4, 08 E90 M3 with all the bolt on mods, and 99 E36 M3 with fully built motor and turbocharger.

My Cars
    2002 M3, 1998 M3
    No surprise here but still using Rotella 5W40 in my 156k mile S52. Idles/revs smooth which I believe has improved cabin NVH and internals are looking pretty clean (had valve cover off recently).

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567