PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel bearing replacement in StL?

ponq
05-15-2003, 10:48 AM
Does anyone know a good shop in St Louis to get a rear wheel bearing replaced, I may need others replaced, but it's hard to pinpoint the bearings when driving.

OR, If someone has experience, or would like experience, I'd love to do it myself, with some help. Maybe rent or buy as a group the wheel bearing puller tool and get a few done. If anyone else needs it.

PeteK
05-15-2003, 04:28 PM
Oh man, that's a big job.

I'm doing it right now on my E30 325 and it's a real pain in the butt. You need to remove the whole rear trailing arm and pretty much everything else on that corner of the car! :mad:

The only reason I'm doing it myself is because I've completely removed the rear subframe to replace the bushings and figured that I'd go ahead and replace the bearings at the same time.

If that's all you want done, then I'd definitely let a shop do the work! Just getting the half shaft off of the arm is a chore.

However, if you have the right tools and more time than money, you might want to give it a shot.:dunno

Good luck!

ponq
05-16-2003, 03:12 PM
Thanks Pete,
Unless I hear otherwise, I'll probably have a shop do it, any recommendations? I've got a few opinions of some shops in town, but I'd like to hear some others, at least for the wheel bearing replacement.

PeteK
05-17-2003, 12:01 PM
There are two that I would highly recommend:

John LaClair at
Bavarian, Inc.
8374 Olive
St Louis, MO
(314) 997-2002

--or--

Greg Stoud at
Bimmers R Us Inc.
3435 S Kingshighway Blvd.
St. Louis, MO
(314) 752-3800

ponq
05-19-2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks again Pete,

I have used both of these shops and have a few opinions on both, from other people and myself. I wanted to see if anything else was out there. I'll probably get a quote from both these guys tomorrow.