PDA

View Full Version : engine management

zparker
02-26-2008, 05:40 AM
I am about to install a custom built AMS management that will run as piggy back only taking over fuel and spark, fan control etc. I am wondering about the fully variable Vanos and how it will react to the dme no longer seeing the spark or injectors. Do you have any special tips on installing the standalone as piggy back so the dme still gets its signals and still controls the Vanos?

Car is 98 M3 SMG S50B32

smg is being removed.

zparker
02-27-2008, 07:35 AM
Wow No-one!?

Bimmerteck
02-27-2008, 12:56 PM
I'll have to go back a few schools and reread a chapter or two I don't honsetly think an s50 need anything other than tps, RPM, and temp.(both coolant and ambient). The spark and fuel are both normally outputs of the DME not inputs to it, so the question is how will your AMS box know when the cam is advancing and by how much? It will need to be able to independently monitor this to adapt the fuel and timing for amount of cam advance.

Oh BTW, installing standalone on a BMW isn't exactly child's play nor the territory of most BMW owners, only the higher level dealer techs, and a few independent specialty shops would regularly do an install like that, and I'm fairly sure I can count the people on this board with that knowledge on my fingers.

Erik

Mohamed 525i
02-27-2008, 04:40 PM
either u visit Jano workshop in Dubai or Osman in SHJ they might be able to help u with this

zparker
02-28-2008, 01:02 AM
I'll have to go back a few schools and reread a chapter or two I don't honsetly think an s50 need anything other than tps, RPM, and temp.(both coolant and ambient). The spark and fuel are both normally outputs of the DME not inputs to it, so the question is how will your AMS box know when the cam is advancing and by how much? It will need to be able to independently monitor this to adapt the fuel and timing for amount of cam advance.

Oh BTW, installing standalone on a BMW isn't exactly child's play nor the territory of most BMW owners, only the higher level dealer techs, and a few independent specialty shops would regularly do an install like that, and I'm fairly sure I can count the people on this board with that knowledge on my fingers.

Erik

I agree about the install, most tuners are afraid of the variable camshafts. I the thing about the AMS is it will read the crank and cam position, temp, tps, run the fuel and spark, control the electric fan, boost control and also wheel speed sensors for taction/launch control.

Tuning:
will run a base map and tune it till the numbers are correct road and dyno since i assume the vanos will be doing the same thing at the same load conditions i think i should be able to tune it really well. i have baseline dyno numbers so i will have something to test it against afterwards. I will have an overlay of the baseline and the best tuned run. Should prove to be interesting.

If you are correct and the S50 only needs tps, temp and rpm then i can tap those signals for my "piggy back" setup and grin from ear to ear after its tuned....and then again after its turbod

Thank you for the hopefully correct input!

JordanMD88
03-09-2008, 12:33 AM
You should really post this in the FI section,

zparker
03-09-2008, 03:12 PM
doing it now