PDA

View Full Version : Road Atlanta, here I come (Amsoil)

BMWguy206
03-09-2001, 11:23 AM
Last night I spent 2.5hr preparing my M3 for the BMWCCA High Performance Driving School at Road Atlanta this weekend. I did the following;

Replace water pump (Leaking thru the weep hole)
Replace thermostat housing, gasket, o-ring for thermostat. (Leaking underneath the housing)
Perform Brake Flush with ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid
Tri-Annual Coolent Flush with Redline Water Wetter/BMW Coolent-Antifreeze
Rear Differential oil service with Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic 75w-90 Gear Lube (I'm surprised the color is blue!)
Installed JTD Transmission Brace with Track Bushings
Check engine oil level (Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic 0w-30)
I was gonna replace the transmission fluid with Amsoil ATF but I decided to hold off for certain reasons. (Currently using Motul Synthetic Gear Lube 75w-90)
Replace damage deflectors in front of rear wheel.

Today I'll be removing any loose articles in the vehicle
Mount Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 tires on 1st set of rims (Currently using the LTW versions rims)
4-wheel alignment
Track Pre-inspection
& REST!

When using Amsoil 0w-30, my fuel economy improved by 3mpg!

North Florida
03-09-2001, 05:10 PM
REST ?

Just exactly how do you rest when your all excited ?

Mike Mount
03-12-2001, 12:11 AM
Hi Joh, thanks for the info on the hot soaking. The info you provided is what I had read at one time, I just didn't remember all the details.
How was Road Atlanta? I spent today getting ready for a track weekend coming up, next week I'll have the tech inspection done. Replaced all 4 rotors, put PF90's on, a new X-brace and new spark plugs. This is getting ready for Buttonwillow Raceway with the San Diego BMWCCA. Its a nice track, maybe 2.7 miles with some elevation change thrown in among the 11 turns. Its mostly just a fun track with a bunch of fun people! My last event was in November at Laguna Seca. Wow, what a track! Lots of fun and a real challenge to put together.
So, what do you think about your JTD tranny brace? I'm considering the UUC setup, it seems to have most of the benefits of the JTD with less cabin noise.
How about telling the list about Road Atlanta?
Adios,
Mike
'95 M3
drive it like you just stole it!

BMWguy206
03-12-2001, 06:34 AM
Hi Mike,

I'm really tired from last weekends event. But boy did I had FUN! Road ATL is 2.54 miles with 12 turns and has alot of elevation changes more than Buttonwillow and WillowSprings International Raceway (not sure if you knew but Los Angeles is my hometown so I've been to those 2 tracks). I know alot of vehicles were using 5th gear at the back straight at Road ATL but I only topped mines out on 4th gear (115-120mph) because any higher and my brakes will NOT stop me. I had a good amount of fade due to the Brembo OE spec rotors and Performance Friction Z-rated pads. I was place in "C" Class on my first time at this track so on the first day I had to let cars like Vettes, E30s, E36s, 2002s, etc pass me because they were on my ass on the turns. I was concentrating on being smooth, knowing the line, and where to turn in and out.

On Sunday I was hauling ass. I was using my new Kumho ECSTA Surpa 712 tires and I was impressed by them. I was told they were too hard and they are to some point but on the last session I past a few cars especially a '95 M3 with JC intake Euro Setup with injectors, UUC exhaust, full suspension but the driver was in "D" class. I also passed a stock looking E34 M5. Of course I wouldn't be able to drive like this without a great instructor (Mike Washington) There was this 540i 6-spd with a M62 engine and race tires, intake and exhaust and he just blew me away.

My M3 is stock power wise but its stiffer due to the braces I added. Since I had a stock exhaust, I can't hear or know which engine speed I'm at unless I look at the tach. Since I had the JTD transmission brace, I can feel and hear the exhaust and engine (Cabin noise and butt vibrating) and the whole driveline is just rock solid. I personally love the JTD transmission brace only for the track but I'll be putting the stock one back in today. Defintely not a modification for the street.

Hopefully when I get back to CA, we can meet up at a track event. Most likely I'll be in "C" again but what class are you usually in?

Seth Thomas
03-12-2001, 09:38 AM
Jon,

Nice meeting you this weekend. Sorry that I did not get to talk more than I did but I was always busy with one student or my car. No time to rest. I was hoping to give you a ride in my car so you could see what 5th gear would do at the track. Just kidding.

But to give everybody an idea about Road Atlanta here is a quick description. The front straight is very fast but short. In my car I am at about 7000RPMs in 4th gear at about 120mph. Brake for turn one and accelerate up the hill. This turn is very decieving as it can be taken a lot faster than what you think. Then you have 3 & 4(the esses). These are all 4th gear turns that can be taken with full throttle if you have the balls to do it. Turn 5 is an uphill right hander that is also taken very fast but has a weird entry to it. You would just have to drive it to know what I am talking about. Turn 6 and 7 are next with 7 being the one to come on the back straight. Take it in third gear and you are on the straight. In my car on the straight I can reach about 140MPH with the stock 3.23 diff. 140MPH is about 6000RPMs so I might try a 3.45 as I know a 3.64 is too low for Road Atlanta. Turn 10 and 11 are slow turns that setup for turn 12, the best turn of the track. It is downhill onto the front straight. Very nerve racking at first but with practice it is taken pretty much full throttle. And that is Road Atlanta.

What did you think about the track? Did you see me and the other LTW out there on Sat or Sunday? We were flying around the track and pushing the cars very hard. I had my girlfriend in the car with me and it was her first time riding on the track. I don't know if she was scared or not but I would have been as we were pretty much racing. Both our cars rears were sliding in turn 1. Well glad you had fun.

Phantom
03-12-2001, 02:43 PM
Hey, Jon, I was wondering what kind of brake fluid you ran at Road Atlanta and how old was it? I did Road Atlanta last year in May, 85 deg weather, but I didn't have any problems with brake fade (stock rotors, PBR MetalMaster pads).

Was your brake fluid fresh (recently changed)?

I upgraded to stainless steel brake lines, ATE Super Blue, and Pagid sport pads after getting some fade after hot laps at Michigan Speedway last July (braking from 130mph to 50mph for Turn One in 90deg weather). The fresh fluid made the difference at Memphis Motorsports Park in September and Gateway Raceway, St Louis in October.

The brake upgrade was first on my list. I figure if I can't GO very fast, at least I'll be able to STOP well :o)

Just wondering.

BTW

Mike Mount, see ya at Buttonwillow in a coupla weeks!!

BMWguy206
03-12-2001, 06:58 PM
Seth,
It was cool meeting you too and nice to see your LTW M3. I had tons of fun at Road ATL and I want to go back before I leave GA. Someone told me months ago, not sure if it was you, but you had "special" work done to your LTW M3. I was in my instructors M3 and I saw you just blow us by at the back straight. If anything, I might upgrade with track tires, rotors, stainless steel braided brake lines, and pads.

Phantom,
I had ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid. The event started on 3/10 and I flushed my braking system 2 days before the event. My M3 weights over 3300lbs with me in it. One problem that happened with my on my driving was that I might have been dragging on the brakes too long coming downhill from the back straight. Just curious but are you Pinoy? I am.

Mike Mount
03-12-2001, 07:03 PM
Hey Jon (and Seth too), thanks for the stuff on Road Atlanta. I've seen it on Speedvision and it looks like a lot of fun. Jon, I didn't know you were from LA. I live up north near San Luis Obispo, Buttonwillow is 2 (very fast) hours from me, Willow Springs is 3 hours east, and Laguna Seca is ~ 2.5 hours north. My M3 was 'baptised' at Willow Springs when the water pump impeller went while entering into turn 1.
Your comments on concentrating on smoothness are quite good. Last November I drove Laguna Seca with the LA BMWCCA in the B group. Saturday was rough as I found Laguna Seca to be almost intimidating with the elevation changes and solid looking concrete walls! Finally I figured out that my main problem was feeling rushed going into each corner, not enough time between braking and turn-in to let the car settle and make a nice smooth turn in. So, it was back to basics for a session or two. That afternoon I got a ride with my instructor Richard Biscevic in his e36M3 Lightweight. Whew! what a rocket! I saw at least 125 mph going into turn 2, and I thought 'oh shit, were cooked now' but he had some awesome brakes, and is a very good driver. The following Sunday was a blast. This url is me being chased by a Lightweight, an M5 and then a 3 series bringing up the rear.
http://www.gelatinous.com/scott/pics/2000/Laguna-Nov%2018-19/half/IMG_0590.JPG. Mine is the Dakar Yellow '95.
My M3 is stock (motor-wise) as I wanted to learn how to drive it before sinking a lot of money into goodies. I always thought "if Michael (or Ralf) Schumacher or Jenson Button were to drive my car, would they be faster than I?" Of course, the answer is yes! So that tells me that the single most important item for driving fast is the driver, not the 'bolt-ons'. There are a lot of god resources for helping you learn to drive better. The book "Speed Secrets" is one, as well as "Going Faster". Like you, I've passed an M5 and chased down 'Vettes with a lot more ponies than my stock M3. Thats a cool feeling, to pass a 'vette, fellow M3 or even an M5 on the track.
This next Buttonwillow event is being run counter-clockwise (like the club races are run). That should be fun as you enter the back straight from the high speed left hander. Going the other way (clock-wise) I was hitting ~ 110 mph, and that was from the slow turn 6, so this next event should be really fast.
Well, i gotta go work on cleaning the garage, so thanks again for the feedback and happy to hear you had fun at Road Atlanta. (It's about the most fun we can have an still be dressed, eh?)
Adios!
Mike
'95 M3

Don Stevens
03-12-2001, 07:05 PM
Hi Jon/Seth,

Glad you had fun. Some of those trricked out E-30s are pretty quick aren't they.

Seth's track description was good and while he was talking about some of the track being hairy, it sounds like he has some pretty big balls by the way he was talking about the speeds and slides. I drove the track last fall and took it a little easier than he did. I never did get comfortable with turn 12.

Don

PM3
03-12-2001, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Jon Caldito
I personally love the JTD transmission brace only for the track but I'll be putting the stock one back in today. Defintely not a modification for the street.

Oh cmon! it gives the car its 'soul' while you're driving it on the street. I am SO used to mine I don't even hear it. "eh? what?" But I could only imagine how annoying quiet it would be for me now, ;-), if I took it off. Sort of like turning off my floor-model air filter while I sleep. It woulud be too quiet, I'd never fall asleep! haha.

I wish we had more tracks like that here in Southern Cali. I mean, you know! WSIR and Buttonwillow, although fun tracks, are in the middle of BUTT UGLY nowhere! need some trees and stuff..someone paint the hills, green. Somethin'! Just looking and thinkin' about the scenery gets me all dehydrated and ready to start searching for an oasis! CYA>PM3

BMWguy206
03-12-2001, 07:38 PM
Pablo, you're too funny!!! Well, till now the transmission brace is still on. I'm still tired from the drivers event so I just home. My friend loves the sound and tells me to keep it on though. Did you have it installed on your M3 now?

Road Atlanta is like in the middle of a residential area with lots of green! Not like Buttonwillow or WillowSprings right in the middle of a desert! I would like to go and try out Laguna Seca and Sears Point. Do you know if the CA Speedway has a infield road course (Rovel)?

Seth Thomas
03-12-2001, 09:08 PM
Jon,

I guess I did have some special work done to the car. It now has a Euro 3.0L motor with Group N exhaust, Koni double adjustable coilovers, and then all the LTW goodies. That was the first time I had the car on the track since I had all the work done. I couldn't believe the difference in it. It is definitely a lot faster than it used to be. What kind of car did your instructor drive? What did you think about riding with him? Next time I will take you for a ride.

BMWguy206
03-12-2001, 10:12 PM
Don,
Road ATL was scary at first, especially my first lap and my first time going under the bridge and downhill to 12. Wholly crap! That is one very challenging turn.

Seth,
If you saw your LTW M3 at the track being driven like how you drive, your mouth will drop. My eyes just got big when I saw you pass me in my instructor. His name is Mike Washington and he had a Red E30 M3. He drove a Red Durango and a trailer. He wasn't driving his M3 too hard on the "I" group run. He said his tire pressures felt low so he didn't push it hard but he did on some areas on the track. David R. in class told us that we should invest in ourselves at the driving schools other than high performance parts. Said he gets a kick seeing $5k race cars being faster on the track than $40k+ high horsepower street vehicles. All about the driver!

SteveB
03-13-2001, 12:49 AM
Jon and everyone,
It was nice to meet you guys at the school. I had an absolute blast. I was running my new Kumho VictoRacers for the first time and was really impressed with them after I got the pressures figured out.
I don't know what I was doing wrong but I wasn't seeing the top speed you guys are talking about on the back straight. At least I don't think I was, by the time I wanted to check speed I was on the binders slowing down for 10A. I know that I hit 125 a few times and maybe a little more, but it was more important to me to slow for 10A than to look at the speedo, lol.

Hey Jon, have you gotten the pics from the group shots that were taken at the end of the day? Who was that guy that was going to send them out?

SteveB
03-13-2001, 01:22 AM
<a href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1583954&a=12053350&p=43589321>See my photo, road atlanta pic_web at PhotoPoint</a>

If not as a link copy and paste I guess...I am computer challenged and trying to learn.

Cannon
03-13-2001, 03:13 AM
I have to agree that Buttonwillow and Willow Springs aren't so scenic, but they sure are fun! I went to TCC events at Laguna Seca in December and January. Man is that track intimidating! It took me almost an entire day before I could keep my foot in it through turn 1. I finally did manage some acceptable times, though (a handful of 1:48's). Here's a great pic that I now have hanging on my wall of me and an E30 M3 coming out of turn 11:

http://headonphotos.nasaproracing.com/Galleries/TOUR-011301/tc1021/tc1021-25.jpg

I have managed to get completely bitten by the open-track bug. The only reason my M3 remains completely stock is that my wife gets to drive it to work every day, and would be less than pleased were I to do something that would degrade the ride quality....hmmmm..... How well do those H&R coilovers ride, anyway?

Chris

Seth Thomas
03-13-2001, 09:35 AM
Jon,
Now you have me wondering about how I drive. Is this a good thing that your mouth dropped? Just kidding. I kind of agree with what Dave R. said in the classroom but email about this. I will fill you in on some things that might change your mind.

Steve,
Don't worry about not seeing the speeds that I was seeing on the back straight. My car is very prepared for the track. I remember when is was in more of a stock form the most I could reach was about 130. Plus you have to remember I have the Movit big brakes on the front of my car. When I come into 10A I am full throttle until about the 175-200ft markers and then I get on the brakes at about the 175-150ft marker. So I would imagine this might be why are not seeing the speeds I am. Don't think is is that you are doing something wrong.

Mike Mount
03-14-2001, 12:25 AM
Hey Jon, Seth, Phantom, Cannon, this is turning into a fun post! Jon, how did your pads hold up? I going to dedicated track pads this time at B/w. Your comments about braking bring back memories from a few track sessions.... At Laguna Seca I talked to my instructor about working on brake technique. I had been braking too early and thus letting the brakes get waaaaaay too hot. Braking harder and later into the turn allowed me to run way faster through the corner. BUT, the key was to combine all the 'tricks of the trade.' Things like braking very hard into the corner, BUT finishing the braking before the turn in (so I had time to let the car settle), making a smooth turn-in and hitting my apex, smoothly unwinding on the exit, etc. etc.
One other item that pays off big-time is to look way ahead through the turn. Like looking past the apex BEFORE you hit the turn in, etc. The farther up the track you look, the slower it seems! Plus, you are less likely to be surprised by someone spinning at the exit of a corner, a track worker waving a flag, deer running across the track etc etc.
Phantom, come look me up at B/W. That would be cool, I've got a Dakar Yellow '95 M3. (must be hundreds of those, right?) I'm planning on being there Friday night. Probably be hanging with some of the folks from the e36m3 list, like Jim Bassett, Donna Seeley etc. I've also made some friends with the LA track junkies too. The SD group puts on a way fun track event and a great raffle Saturday night.
I'm kinda burned out from tonights swim workout, and a weekend of working on my M3 and my Kawa, so
Adios!
Mike

Phantom
03-14-2001, 06:32 AM
Hey, Fellas,

Yeah, a steady, firm brake application is more effective in combating heat build-up and brake fade than "riding" or less-than-maxmum brake application. It seems counter-intuitive (word for the day), but the harder the brake application for a given deceleration from speed, the better for the brakes. (Works the same for airplane wheel brakes, too.)

I tend to make big gains on other folks at the track (cars and karts) with braking technique, delaying the braking point as much as possible, then smoothly applying max threshold braking (just short of ABS activation or wheel lockup).

I do this by avoiding what I call the "pump-fake": coming off the throttle early in anticipation of brake application, applying only partial braking while still judging how much more you need to slow, until you feel that max braking is needed NOW. Hell, I just stay planted on the accelerator to the last moment (with some safety pad in there for good measure), then SMOOTHLY transition to a firm, max braking application, and then SMOOTHLY transitioning to the turn-in.

The gains were especially evident when braking from high speeds at the end of long straights for tight corners (Turn 10a at Road Atlanta, Turn 1 at Michigan Speedway). You can often make gains of 3-4 car lengths each time. It's kinda cool when a faster car puts distance on me on the straight, and I just reel 'em in at the next braking zone, all the time seeing their eyes bug out as I suddenly reappear in their rear-view!

If I remember right from all the media road test articles, the E36 M3 is one of the best-braking production cars sold in the US, period. Use it to your advantage!!

In a typical weekend school I go thru 1 1/2 to 2 sets of pads, and by the end of each day, it's literally impossible to tell where my rim ends and the tire sidewall begins because it's blackened from all the brake dust!!

Hey, anyone can just plant their foot on the accelerator. It takes technique (and cojones) to delay that braking point for the turn in.

OK, I'm done. I got a little carried away there . . .

BMWguy206
03-14-2001, 08:21 PM
Steve B-
It was nice meeting up and hanging out with you. You got a really nice M3 and the interior is very rare. I just wish we both were running together at our group runs. I didn't get any pics from Sunday but one of the guys that took the pics is Rich DeFransisco and he works for MotorBahn. You can check it out at www.motorbahn.com

Cannon-
Sweet picture at Laguna. Looks like you need some sway bars on your M3 =)
Are you still having brake fade problems? My braking now really sucks at the street after last weekends event. My rotors are still discolored front and rear. I may have to do another brake flush. Man, I hate working on my car. We should get together late this year or next year at Buttonwillow or WillowSprings and see who's the fastest =D

Seth-
Dude, you are a crazy driver! just kidding. I saw you at times coming down from 12 and up 1 and you are really fast. That time you passed me and my instructors M3, it just looked like your LTW M3 had 400hp and 370lbs torque because ti just hauled ass from turn 7 all the way to 10a. I hope I go back to Road ATL for another event. I just learned a lot from last weekend and one thing that I was never taught was proper braking techniques(sp) and weight transfer.

Mike-
I'm gonna buy a set of heat treated rotors and race pads just for the track. Also upgrade to stainless steel lines.
I made the same mistake as you when I was at Road ATL. I would brake early and hold it at the back straight. bad bad bad.. fade fade fade. Now its just threshold braking.

Cannon
03-14-2001, 09:56 PM
Jon,

The car is still completely stock save a set of Fisher brake lines. It does seem to roll a bit, but once it's settled into the corner, it remains very stable (and amazingly fast) so I'm hesitant to change anything. Yet.

My brake troubles seem to be under control. I never had a brake fade problem, but I had big time spongy pedal problems. At the last event I was at the brakes performed flawlessly, but Buttonwillow is much easier on brakes than Laguna Seca. I still think that I have some air in the system, and I'm working to get that worked out, but so far I'm fairly happy.

My track rotors are discolored, too. They are a strange shade of bluish/purple....

I'm going to be at Buttonwillow on April 21 and 22 w/ Open Track (www.open-track.com). Come on out, as you can never have too many Bimmers to fend off those nasty f-bodys...

Chris

Mike Mount
03-14-2001, 11:08 PM
Hey all, there is a BMWCCA club race scheduled for that date at the Buttonwillow track. Donna Seeley from Suzy Krafts e36m3 list will debut in Guido, her e30m3. Cool, eh? I'll be there too.
Speaking of that April weekend; Open Track, Driving Concepts and the BMWCCA Club race are all scheduled. A busy weekend in Buttonwillow.
Hey Phantom, good point on the brakes. That's what I've been focusing on lately. You go through a set of pads in a weekend? Yikes! I don't know about you, but Saturday night I'd rather be hoisting a cold one than swapping pads!
Cannon, my experience was that Buttonwillow was harder on brakes than L/S. Then again, I worked on braking technique at L/S with Billy Maher (co-chief driving instructor from the Golden Gate Chapter). What a huge difference that made. So, I'm looking forward to going back to B/W. This time though, we are running the other direction. Remember the back straight? We'll enter it from the high speed 'Talladega.' Cool! Ought to see somewhere around 120+ mph easy.
My new PF90's are bedding quite nicely to new rotors. Kinda wished now that I'd splurged and bought a brake duct kit. FWIW, Grassroots Motorsports magazine had a good article on brakes ~ 2 months ago. Heat is the no. 1 killer of pads and rotors. We all swear by ATE Super Blue, but the specs show Motul having the highest dry boiling point. (Then again, it's $$$$)
Ciao,
Mike
'95 M3

SteveB
03-14-2001, 11:11 PM
We did run together some, well for as long as it took me to pass you anyway. Just kiddin with you, it was fun and I know we weren't racing, remember we weren't there to race. HaHa
I kept getting on my brakes too much the last school I went to and learned that they don't work very well when they get hot. I'm still running stock pads and rotors, for that matter they are the originals that came on the car. When these go, and that won't be too long from now, I'm getting the Motorsport floating rotors.
:( I guess no one liked my pic.

Mike Mount
03-14-2001, 11:25 PM
Hey Steve, I'll say I like your pic if you say you like mine, okay? Jes' kiddin! Actually, the color is kind of cool. That's one o' them yeller cars, right?
Here's me at Laguna Seca being chased (okay, holding up traffic might be more accurate) in the B group last November
http://www.gelatinous.com/scott/pics/2000/Laguna-Nov%2018-19/IMG_0590.JPG

Nice color, don't you think?
Mike
'95 M3
da kar is yellow

Ryan H
03-15-2001, 05:22 AM
Can you recommend a mechanic/shop in the San Luis Obispo County area? I need a shop that will install customer supplied parts, such as rotors and pads. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan H

Seth Thomas
03-15-2001, 12:01 PM
John and Steve,
When you go to the track it is important once you start getting faster to upgrade your brake pads. The best ones that I have used are PF90s. They work great and are the easiest to modulate. Hawk blues are good but they have a weird feel to them. You have to use a lot of initial pressure with the Hawks whereas with the PF90s you don't have to apply as much. But I think the main thing is technique. One thing to remember at Road Atlanta is that a stock E36 M3 can start braking for 10A at about 200ft. So hold it to the floor till about 225ft and then brake even and hard. That should slow you enough for 10A.

Enough about Road Atlanta. We should all get together sometime and go drink some beer or something. We can then talk about this stuff.

PM3
03-15-2001, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Cannon

http://headonphotos.nasaproracing.com/Galleries/TOUR-011301/tc1021/tc1021-25.jpg

The only reason my M3 remains completely stock is that my wife gets to drive it to work every day, and would be less than pleased were I to do something that would degrade the ride quality....hmmmm..... How well do those H&R coilovers ride, anyway?

Chris

Cannon, yesterday I was driving a SC'd M3 through the mountains with the H&R Street/sport setup (non-race) and I must say it was REALLY nice. Was not stiff at all, and didn't even feel nearly as stiff as when my previous 97 had Bilsteins and Eibachs. I bet your wife would only 'slightly' notice, ;) CYA>PM3

PM3
03-15-2001, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Phantom

In a typical weekend school I go thru 1 1/2 to 2 sets of pads, and by the end of each day, it's literally impossible to tell where my rim ends and the tire sidewall begins because it's blackened from all the brake dust!!

1.5-2 set per day! Aye Carumba! I'm not the easiest guy on brakes, but even after 8 driving school days, my Porterfields still had about 15% left on them, and I was doing low-mid 1:39s all day at Willow Springs my last day there with them, so I know I wasn't the SLOWEST guy out there (granted I know WSIR is not very hard on brakes)...but 3 of those days included Buttonwillow and Streets of willows, on the same pads. You must be a monster during braking! Shoot, maybe I AM too weak on my brakes...I think I am just a wuss then, ;) CYA>PM3

PM3
03-15-2001, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Jon Caldito
Pablo, you're too funny!!! Well, till now the transmission brace is still on. I'm still tired from the drivers event so I just home. My friend loves the sound and tells me to keep it on though. Did you have it installed on your M3 now?

Oh but of course! :)..it's too quiet without. No "soul" in the Mster. I must admit though, my noise level tolerance was tested the other day when I was doing some exhaust work:
found that my exhaust hangers were busted and said "screw it!" Took the sucker off and went for a night on the town with NO muffler. LOL!! My gf was so embarrassed..called the situation, "Ghetto!" haha..went to the local Block buster, and apparently there was a couple outside their car 'discussing' something. When I started my car you could tell it startled them a bit. So funny. Needless to say, I put it back on. Couldn't even see out the rear view mirror because it vibrated so much, ;)

Yes, Cal Speedway has an infield. Jaguar (and I think Porsche) have used it for press/test days, but I don't think it's been used for a driving school yet. I guess they hold autox's in the parking lot. CYA>PM3

Mike Mount
03-16-2001, 12:42 AM
Ryan, I do the majority of work myself. In fact, about the only thing I use a mechanic for is as a second set of eyes for track day tech inspection sign offs.
However, Eric at Bavarian Auto Haus in Shell Beach is who I use for tech sign offs. VPA is well respected, and certainly judging by the number of Porshes parked out in front.
That being said tho, when you say you want a mechanic to install customer owned parts, ..... for a mechanic that is kind of an insult. I personally wouldn't ask a mechanic to do it without a very good reason; example- you have some track only pads you want swapped, maybe a lightened flywheel or CAI. It would REALLY help to already have had a relationship with that mechanic.
Its been my experience that I get good prices on parts and service when I've been doing business with a mechanic for some time. Its like anything else, if the guy sees you are serious, a good customer who appreciates the work and is a dedicated track junkie ... that mechanic knows he's gonna see you again. So they are much more likely to work with you than someone who wants the cheapest job done on a very nice car, and it does happen too often.
Okay, sorry about yelling from my soapbox. If you already know all this, well, please accept my apologies. If this is news to you, think about it a bit.
Then again, you might use this as an opportunity. Swapping rotors and pads isn't too bad of a job. A bit dirty, but a Warsteiner or St. Pauli Girl washes the brake dust off quite well.
Good luck,
Mike

Phantom
03-16-2001, 02:02 PM
Uh oh, I made a boo-boo: I go thru 1.5 – 2 driving schools per set of pads, not the other way around. Thanks for setting me straight, PM3. Seems I'm always changing a set of front pads either before or during a track weekend.

I checked my maintenance records. Last year in five driving schools (Memphis twice, Road Atlanta, Michigan Speedway, and St Louis Gateway) and daily driving I went thru three sets: one set of stock pads, one set of PBR MetalMasters, and one set of Pagid Sports. I like to have at least 2/3rds on them, or I know I'm gonna end up changing them some time during the driving school.

So far, I prefer the Pagid Sports; great pedal feedback and progressive response for easy brake modulation. Anyone have any other pad preferences? How about rotors? I’m still happy with stock rotors, but what’s the word on frozen/heat-treated/Motorsport/drilled/slotted varieties?

Mike, all that practice changing pads should help me get a job at Midas! It usually takes only 20 minutes to change a set of front pads, now.

derek
03-16-2001, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cannon

My brake troubles seem to be under control. I never had a brake fade problem, but I had big time spongy pedal problems. At the last event I was at the brakes performed flawlessly, but Buttonwillow is much easier on brakes than Laguna Seca. I still think that I have some air in the system, and I'm working to get that worked out, but so far I'm fairly happy.

Cannon,

Try using a power bleeder on your brake system if you suspect there is still some air in the lines. I had a minor problem whereas the brake pedal did not engage the brakes soon enough (pedal depressed approximately 1/2" - 1" before I felt the brakes engage). I had bled the lines manually, but the proper brake feel did not come back until I asked a shop to bleed the brakes with their power bleeder.

Cannon
03-18-2001, 01:06 PM
Try using a power bleeder on your brake system if you suspect there is still some air in the lines. I had a minor problem whereas the brake pedal did not engage the brakes soon enough (pedal depressed approximately 1/2" - 1" before I felt the brakes engage). I had bled the lines manually, but the proper brake feel did not come back until I asked a shop to bleed the brakes with their power bleeder.

Well, I already had the dealer flush the system in an attempt to get the air out, and that helped quite a bit, but the pedal still isn't quite like it was when the car was first purchased. I just found an independent shop that seems very willing to help me get to the bottom of this problem. I spend over an hour talking w/the owner ( he was a BMW techie for 12 years before opening his own shop), so I feel fairly comfortable w/ him. We'll see how it goes.

Mike M: Both times that I have been at Buttonwillow, they were using the Bus Stop (config #13) instead of letting us fly all the way down the back straight. This limited the number of heavy braking areas, and turn 1 was really the only one. If we can run all the way down the back straight off of Talledaga in April, I can see how that would change things considerably...

Maybe it's time for a Mov'it kit....:D.

Chris

Scott Yu
03-18-2001, 01:53 PM
Pablo, I don't suppose you know if that suspension setup had trimmed bump stops, do you?

I'm trying to decide on a suspension setup within the next half year (shocks are 82,000mi old) and I'm trying to find something that feels pretty supple. I've heard that the bilsteins require trimming the bump stop for a supple ride, but haven't had the chance to experience firsthand. Also heard many good things about Koni setups but again, haven't had the chance to experience one of those, either.

best,

scott yu

Originally posted by PM3

Cannon, yesterday I was driving a SC'd M3 through the mountains with the H&R Street/sport setup (non-race) and I must say it was REALLY nice. Was not stiff at all, and didn't even feel nearly as stiff as when my previous 97 had Bilsteins and Eibachs. I bet your wife would only 'slightly' notice, ;) CYA>PM3

PM3
03-19-2001, 03:33 AM
Sorry, I really don't know if the bumpstops were trimmed. But I will find out soon.
Yes, the Bilsteins are quite stiff when compared to the stock setup. If not-too-stiff is what you're looking for, maybe the adjustable Konis could be your best bet. Either way, I guess it's obvious you'll just have to experience both setups yourself, as all opinions vary. CYA>PM3

Mike Mount
03-20-2001, 11:31 PM
Let's hope the SDBMWCCA runs the fast back stretch out of Talladega! That would be way cool. At the last event there, I'd enter it at ~ 110, exit at maybe 90 and hold full throttle all the way through till the braking point going into Magic Mountain.
Running the other way would be really a blast, we'd probably see 125 or so at the end of the straight (if not faster). I guess then I'd be wishing for a JimC chip, huh?
There's been some good stuff regarding brakes here. My PF90's are getting bedded quite nicely. After work I was following a Camaro (we drive to/from work on a 7 mile private road along the ocean), for some silly reason he thought he could pull away! What was he thinking? Poor b%&#$%rd. It just so happens that I own the unofficial time trial record! I wonder if he figured out that I would drop back and catch up just for fun? Sheesh, he probably thought he was pulling away.
Ciao!
Mike
'95 M3
da kar is yellow