PDA

View Full Version : 99 m3 value and pricing??

whtvenom
03-09-2001, 09:42 AM
Hey everybody, new to the forum hear. I 'm getting rid of my gs400 for a 99 m3. Just need something a little more sporty. I have a guy that is willing to sell me a erostil (spelling) blue 99m3 with 13k on it for $30,500. This seems like a really good price to me. I drove the car and except for a cracked windshield it is in excellent condition. My question is, have the value of e36 m3's gone down significantly with the introduction of the e46? If so do you thing that the prices of the e36 will continue to fall?

Thanks for your help, if I do buy it I look forward to all of your experience for mod suggestions.

CMT
03-09-2001, 11:38 AM
I'll take a stab at this one - A 99 with 13,000 miles may go for more in some parts of the country, it may go for less. I don't think it could go for much less, but you never know. As far as the car goes, it is worth every penny of that $30,500 if you are looking for "something a little more sporty." I have had mine now for five months, and I'm still in the honeymoon phase of ownership. If you can, try to get the BMW CPO warrantee to extend the coverage to 100,000 miles, it is money well spent for good piece of mind "just in case."

The prices may fall, they may hold static, M cars do hold their value extremely well, overall it's a good bet. Two months into ownership, you'll probably not care. The M3 is the best car that I have ever owned.

rockstar
03-09-2001, 12:48 PM
www.edmunds.com

they have pretty good info usually, but often are a little low.

Andrew 97M3
03-09-2001, 01:31 PM
I think $30k for a 99 M3 w 13,000 miles is a real good deal, if everything checks out ok with the car

Rocket Ghost
03-09-2001, 02:14 PM
I used to think both Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book were reliable sources to find a car's value, but wonderered why every one was finding M's for thousands less then what these sources said they were.

I then learned the NADA guide is what dealers and salesman use to determine worth and its significantly less than then edmunds or KBB.

Anyways, that is a great deal on a 99 if nothing else is wrong with it. That same car in the bay area is about 37K.

Zippy M3
03-09-2001, 04:30 PM
Geez that's a good deal. What part of the country are you in. If you don't want it, I'll take it.

whtvenom
03-09-2001, 06:38 PM
If I don't end up getting it then I'll let everyone on the board know where it is at. As far as kbb.com being high, it really is high. The dealers use the NADA book or a Black book to determine the value and it is always less.

RicN
03-09-2001, 08:25 PM
don't use kbb price to buy your car because it's ridiculously high. for a 1999 M3 with 13k miles for only above 30k, it's way cheap if the car is in good condition. where do you live? if you don't want that car, I want it :-) here in seattle, a dealer can sell that for over 40k. only stupid people would pay for that price.

FatBoyM
03-09-2001, 10:00 PM
I always thought dealers used the KBB to price when they sell - nice and high, but use Nada when they are pricing trade-ins - nice and low.

whtvenom
03-10-2001, 01:47 PM
Well, I won't be buying this one. I did a carfax report from www.carfax.com and it showed that the car was totaled and salvaged with 300mi on it in Arkansas. I thought it was weird when the guy said he didn't know if the title was clean.

e36driver
03-10-2001, 08:22 PM
Yeah, That deal was too good to be true:) Whenever they hesitate to tell you about the title status there is a good chance that it has a salvage title. They usually say they are not sure hoping you are a sucker and buy it without checking. Keep looking, a low mileage clean '99 will set you back about $36 - $38k most people will tell you that you can find them cheaper but they usually quote you prices of car that either are high mileage or salvaged titles.

Originally posted by whtvenom
Well, I won't be buying this one. I did a carfax report from www.carfax.com and it showed that the car was totaled and salvaged with 300mi on it in Arkansas. I thought it was weird when the guy said he didn't know if the title was clean.

jeffn
03-12-2001, 05:59 PM
I got a nice 97 3/4a that was hit but clean title for 21k w 48 k on the clock and everyone thought that was good deal. Runs and tracks fine and there is a market for repaired and salvaged cars out there if they're about 20% under market. Hats off to CARFAX!