PDA

View Full Version : Need help in selecting GT1 equipment

Heyrenzo
01-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Hello,

I am completely new to BMWs. A friend of mine would like to purchase a GT1 software as he works on BMWs. I see that the GT1 software can be used for all BMWs.

Is that the best diagnostic tool I can purchase? if yes, where is the most reliable place to purchase it, and how much should I be expected to pay?

There also seem to be the OPS alternative, for E65 platforms and higher, is that any good? What difference does it have with the GT1 equipment?

Any help, or links to documentation, is appreciated! Regards,
Laurent

UltimateM
01-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Yes the GT1 is the best available right now. You need two heads to work on all the BMW's (well I guess the ones that I've seen, up to 2008). The OPS head (its not a whole system, just the head and the connectors) if for the newer cars, it hooks up through the OBD-II port and the Optical Port (the fiber optic connection, I don't know the official name). The yellow head (the older one) is needed for all the older models. Both of the heads work with the GT-1 and the SSS (software service station).

http://www.centrallettershop.com/

If its available thats where you buy it officially, any warranty issues are handled directly by Siemens (GT1) or HP (SSS).

Rennhaus
01-09-2008, 10:27 PM
No GT1s available, they are no longer in production. They are being replaced and even dealers connot get a new GT1 right now.

bimmerboy328i
01-22-2008, 09:34 PM
No GT1s available, they are no longer in production. They are being replaced and even dealers connot get a new GT1 right now.

Yep, we are switching and all of the GT1's are going back to NA. Now from there, I don't know what will happen to them.

KALAMAZU13
02-13-2008, 10:30 AM
BMW will support GT-1 until the end of 2008

lyonsden1980
03-14-2008, 02:31 AM
Is the GT1 V44 best for coding and v39 or v52 best fot Dia?

I read someplace that the yellow head have a wireless LAN?

brew
03-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Yes, the yellow "GT1" head is wireless, and works with the GT1 or DIS for diagnosis of complete cars up to 4/07 production (for newer cars it cannot communicate with powertrain modules) and for coding/programming with the SSS of all non-MOST bus/Flex-Ray cars (not E6x, E65/6, E9x, E70).

kirbykirbykirby
03-23-2008, 08:28 PM
GT1 and SSS is what you need.

GT1 with v44, lets you program and diag all in one, last version which allows this. After that, gT1 w/ V45 became diag only. Requiring a SSS box to be required. Good thing is the SSS box lets you use the Gt1 head to program.

I have one for sale if you're interested btw.

ZiMMie
04-05-2008, 05:34 PM
GT1 and SSS is what you need.

GT1 with v44, lets you program and diag all in one, last version which allows this. After that, gT1 w/ V45 became diag only. Requiring a SSS box to be required. Good thing is the SSS box lets you use the Gt1 head to program.

I have one for sale if you're interested btw.

so u cannot program With the SSS box just diag?

kirbykirbykirby
04-05-2008, 05:41 PM
so u cannot program With the SSS box just diag?

Heh, no SSS is programing only, absolutely no diagnosing.

Gt1 V44, and under V44, is Diagnostic + programing. Gt1 V45+ = Only diagnostic.

ZiMMie
04-05-2008, 06:01 PM
^ i believe i spoke to u earlier. I want to buy one with all the lastest info. u were suppose to emal or pm me info.

let me know again
Mike

BMTech
02-08-2009, 07:47 AM
You all have no idea what you are talking about

Ok you need some educating,

1 dont listen to what others have said as they dont know what they are talking about!

GT1 is not a diagnostic head! so many people get it mixed up. GT1 (Group Tested One) is a special touch screen computer that bmw get.
There is actually no need for it, its just a bmw thing!

What you need is what is called a DK. And an OPS.

The DK is a yellow interface, which if you look up gt1 on the net you will see pictures of it.

Then you need ops. (optical programming system) Because from 2004 bmw brought in ops because 1. it has Faster data transfer rate than the dk head. 2 From 2004 bmw cars have that much more data it would take days to reprogram them with dk head

They are the hardware interfaces! Then you would need a very new and fast and shiny laptop. eg 2.8 Dual core, 4gig ram etc!

Dis (Diagnostic interface System) Is built around a unix operating system, Thats another reason for gt1. 99.9% of bmw techs dont know What unix is or windows so bmw brought in gt1 to make it easy for computer illiterate people!

You can however run dis on a vmware platform running on a windows operating system.

A word of advice do not buy from chinese they make cheap crappy ripoffs. Which when they fail while programming a car will kill ctrl modules worth thousands!

any other questions email me!