PDA

View Full Version : euro head on US motors

socerace
12-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Hey all, i know that this topic has been covered pretty extensively on the lack of gains ppl would be seeing from adding ITB;s to our US motors... how they wont net any worthwhile gains from them etc etc... how u need and adaptor plate... ive heard enough to make me sell my motor and buy a euro...
I couldnt find it by searching and didnt know if it belonged here or the euro thread so i thought i would ask here

Would the Euro s50 head bolt up to my US motor? I have a 95 with a rebuilt s52 unfortunately, im not sure if that would make a difference... The reason i ask is because i dont think the s52 heads would work due to dual vanos... but since i think s50 heads would "Possibly" work is because they have single vanos dont they? correct me if im wrong... now i obviously have never attempted it before so would someone with some more knowledge on the specs of euros be able to tell me if there would be a lot of fitment issues with fitting a euro head onto our blocks? and if im possibly screwed that i have an s52... or if the s50 head would work with my motor...

-- flame suit on, but im just looking for some info, if there is no chance of this working i will continue with my previous plans

and do let me know if i should put this in teh euro section...

thanks to all that can offer any *positive* feedback

sean

gobuffs
12-23-2007, 01:46 PM
I am sure you can do anything with enough money, but a Euro motor swap is the easier and cheaper alternative.

jvit27
12-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Dont bother. The bottom end of the Euro is much stronger - it can handle the high RPM's the Euro head is designed to flow. I doubt a US bottom end could take that kind of abuse, nor would I think its a good idea to fund that experiment and find out.

Other issues such as the water jackets lining up, piston clearances, etc would be too much hassle to worry about. It's not like you'd be saving alot of $ doing this... Euro motors are cheap enough to warrant doing it the RIGHT way.

DrunkCookie
12-24-2007, 12:29 AM
yea just wondering what would have been the possible gains from that.....

socerace
12-24-2007, 03:17 PM
yea just wondering what would have been the possible gains from that.....

i was wondering if it would have been a better route to go instead of having an adaptor plate made for the itbs for a us car and avoiding that whole hassle and receiving more profitable gains from it instead...

TheClaw555666
01-07-2008, 03:17 AM
i've also been looking in the same thing. i have a 95 s50, and i've been wondering can i just bold up a euro head since the engines are nearly identical, and have all the wonderfulness of ITB. also would be ideal for the extreme custom turbo project i have in the works.

kendogg
01-07-2008, 07:35 AM
since the engines are nearly identical

This is FAR from true.

windnsea00
01-07-2008, 10:09 PM
This is FAR from true.
Yea, that's a +1 haha.

M3 Euro LTW
01-08-2008, 03:30 AM
You can not put a S50B30 or S50B32 or S54 head onto a M50 block.

Yes, it would be nice, but no its not practical.

ITB added onto a US head might duplicate the "look" of a euro motor in the sense that you have 6 ITB, but the angles are so, so bad that you'll spend a fortune trying to get it to flow as well as a Euro head does in bone stock configuration.

BMP and Bekker's have sold such conversion or conversion parts in the past, but you're looking at big bucks for a sub-par solution to dropping in a better engine to start with.

I lie awake and dream at night about dropping a S62 into my race car with a flat crank with high compression pistons, custom cams, and full Motec that runs the vanos.

Yes, it would be nice, but no, its not practical.

Alex.