PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather idle/idle problems?

SG_M3
11-23-2007, 10:09 PM
What are you guys getting for cold weather idle?

One day I got in my car and it would not idle. It would start and just try to die, i had to hold the gas pedal to keep it running. It got better, and stopped doing this later that day.

But now i'm having random idle speeds. It ranges from 1k rpm today in ~40 degree weather. Or down to a normal 600 rpm, feeling slightly rough.

TPS going bad? Not sure, what do you guys think.

liquidtension
11-24-2007, 10:54 AM
you can check the TPS, put a voltmeter on the two pins facing you if u are standing on the intake side of the car. at idle you should see 0.5volts, at WOT 4.0volts.
maybe you have a bad idle control valve..
My car starts up on cold starts fine, idles abit high at first around 1200rpm, then it goes back down to ~700rpm after about 5mins. other times it acts up and idles very very high (2000rpm+) i just drive off and it goes back to 700rpm after 5mins..weird i know.. it only happens sometimes for no reason

SG_M3
11-24-2007, 11:22 AM
. other times it acts up and idles very very high (2000rpm+) i just drive off and it goes back to 700rpm after 5mins..weird i know.. it only happens sometimes for no reason

mine will do that too, sometimes.

JamesM3M5
11-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Check for vacuum/unmetered air leaks. Put a code reader on it and see whether the DME is picking up on a problem. Anyone with a Snap On MT2500 (a.k.a. "Brick") or other Snap On scanner can read Euro motor codes and see live data.

My TPS went bad and the engine wouldn't even rev, only idle and barely accelerate.