PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Airbox DIY request

GT110
11-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Hi,

Has anyone seen a DIY for an carbon fiber airbox install for the S50B30

Thewiseguy
11-18-2007, 08:47 PM
not to sound like a dick, but how hard could it be. I dont think its any more complex than removing of the original box.

morerevsm3
11-18-2007, 09:55 PM
which carbon airbox do you have, I have ebay one and happy to tell you what was required to fit (you need to drill and tap holes, replace a hose with a longer one etc)

GT110
11-19-2007, 08:22 AM
which carbon airbox do you have, I have ebay one and happy to tell you what was required to fit (you need to drill and tap holes, replace a hose with a longer one etc)

I have the Hamann replica one.

morerevsm3
11-19-2007, 09:27 AM
is it same as this?
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/morerevsm3/Picture507.jpg

GT110
11-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Yes, but it seems that you are using an AlphaN and not the MAF as I will attempt.

gobuffs
11-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Why go CF and keep the MAF? What is the point?

GT110
11-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Got it for a pretty fair price. Used to have a E46 M3 with an Carbon airbox and Alpha N. Loved the sound from the airbox, hated the AlphaN.

Im not asking for more horses, there will be another mod for that later, I just want a better sound from the Engine ;)

asubimmer
11-19-2007, 04:18 PM
is it same as this?
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/morerevsm3/Picture507.jpg
what itb's are those?

gobuffs
11-19-2007, 07:52 PM
what itb's are those?

stock...you're on the Eurospec board.

morerevsm3
11-20-2007, 02:13 AM
there should be 2 large fittings molded in underside-
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/morerevsm3/airbox4.jpg
1 of these goes to ICV, the other to bottom of cyclone seperator ( you will need a longer piece of hose), mine did not have the 3rd smaller fitting in it, I removed the one from original plenum, and drilled and tapped the carbon plenum for it, this goes into tee fitting back to sump, you also need to drill and tap underside for air intake temp sensor and top rear of plenum for throttle cable bracket. I also drilled the holes out larger where it fits onto throttle bodies as they were not perfectly aligned, I also made up soft rubber gasket to ensure good seal. you will need a reducer sleeve to fit air flow meter, there is very little room for it and an air filter, good luck

GT110
11-20-2007, 04:54 AM
MMMM.... sounds like fun, and not really that Plug&Play mod I thougt it would be.

I hope mine will clear customs today, then I can see if I have all the connections needed.

llegos
11-20-2007, 04:58 AM
You, sir, have an amazing car. Best of luck with the install!

BLAKE AuST
11-20-2007, 05:54 AM
I ended up filling in one of the holes in the bottom, and molding a fitting in the similar spot to stock, on the side of the cf intake, no extra hose needed...

If your handy with fiberglass its easy, as the pipe slips off so easy with the fitting it comes with.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/blake_aust/CIMG2625.jpg

i also used a piece of metal to adjust where the throttle plate mounts on... other then that i did what morerevsm3 did ;)

Also the build quality of the replica ones isn’t the best!

BLAKE AuST

GT110
11-20-2007, 07:43 AM
If

GT110
11-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the positive comments about my ride.

Regarding the airbox.. if it seems like too much trouble, I will cancel the install and sell the box on ebay.de.

GT110
11-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Orginal airbox is on the floor and it seem that I need to do everything you guys needed to do. The small fitting is missing, and there are two fittings on the bootom so a longer hose is needed. Then I need to fit the temp sensor and MAF.

Its alot of work for me, since Im not really that handy, but I think I will give it a go.. wish me luck.

Razziel24
11-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Got it for a pretty fair price. Used to have a E46 M3 with an Carbon airbox and Alpha N. Loved the sound from the airbox, hated the AlphaN.

Im not asking for more horses, there will be another mod for that later, I just want a better sound from the Engine ;)

Why did you hate the AlphaN ?

odortiz
11-23-2007, 10:53 PM
i drove a friend's 94 euro with the alpha-n chip. power delivery was nice, but i didn't like the throttle response. didn't feel like it had a light flywheel anymore.

GT110
11-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Maybe it was not a really good matrix Alpha-N, but the car did not like cold weather, and did not run good when cold.b

morerevsm3
11-24-2007, 01:49 AM
mine is perfectly well behaved when cold

incidently, don't bother with the bracket underneath that supports factory plenum, not needed with light plenum

GT110
11-24-2007, 03:34 AM
Im thinking of trying to join the 1xsmaller tube to one of the bigger ones so I dont have to drill for it,.

But I noticed one thing with both of your installs.. You have the cone filter in the engine room, that is a pretty bad idea.

morerevsm3
11-24-2007, 07:59 AM
the small hose is an oil drain, if you end up with oil in plenum due to sustained high revs (mine used to be bad for it until I added a catch can) it drains back to the sump through that hose, so you can't tee it into one of the larger hoses

I have a heatshield over mine...made from a Harley Davidson rear mudguard :buttrock

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/morerevsm3/Picture527.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/morerevsm3/Picture526.jpg

GT110
11-24-2007, 10:09 AM
The only problem I have now is connecting the large tube under the airbox. I plugged one hole and made anohter one on the side of the airbox (same location as oem) but the fitting for the large tube is just to short.. it keeps slipping of it.

GT110
11-24-2007, 11:56 AM
The box is in and the car runs. Now some small stuff to finish and first run tomorrow after de-cat and airbox.

odortiz
11-24-2007, 04:56 PM
The box is in and the car runs. Now some small stuff to finish and first run tomorrow after de-cat and airbox.

do you have any pics of your car you could post?

SG_M3
11-24-2007, 09:15 PM
i'm interested to hear how it runs with the MAF. The UK guys seem to hate it, usually only a temporary solution.

morerevsm3
11-24-2007, 11:26 PM
i'm interested to hear how it runs with the MAF. The UK guys seem to hate it, usually only a temporary solution.

agreed, the velocity of the air is reduced, so car will run way lean unless you sleeve it down to 3.5" where maf wire is...

GT110
11-25-2007, 02:41 AM
The diameter of the box where the Maf is located is almost the same as the diameter of the oem MAF bracket.

GT110
11-25-2007, 03:03 AM
If I feel that the car is running lean, I will sleve the intake donw, just remember Im not looking for added hp, but I also dont want to loos hp or ruin the engine.

odortiz
11-25-2007, 07:38 AM
If I feel that the car is running lean, I will sleve the intake donw, just remember Im not looking for added hp, but I also dont want to loos hp or ruin the engine.

i wouldn't restrict the air flow. it might run lean if the effective MAF circumference is off, so why not add fuel in the way of increased fuel pressure, or bigger injectors. the only concern would be if it ran lean at WOT or open loop. for down low, adaptation should take care of a lean condition if it's close.

GT110
11-25-2007, 10:32 AM
http://myndasafn.bmwkraftur.is/d/46292-1/airbox+_Large_.jpg
I found a solution for the MAF. I decided to use the original housing. The car runs ad drives super, It feels a bit faster, but thats probably becouse I removed the Cats.

Anyway, I no mechanic, a relative beginner. I know it could look better but what the hey.. it works. Its olso a temporary thing. Something bigger will happen in the new year.

m3ltw98
11-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Is that electrical tape that attaches the MAF to the box? If so, thats horrible. Please get some silicone adapters and make it look better.

madspeed
11-25-2007, 09:02 PM
man, this makes me want to not selling my euro anymore and install the carbon airbox.

GT110
11-26-2007, 03:05 AM
Is that electrical tape that attaches the MAF to the box? If so, thats horrible. Please get some silicone adapters and make it look better.

Yes its electrical tape, its really not needed, the clamps really hold everything tight, but I wanted to have the tape there while I test the setup of the MAF.

I will get something a bit nicer as a permanent solution.

bedema
11-26-2007, 11:41 AM
may i ask how much you pay for the airbox? I found those airbox made in china for 2000 HKD (which is about 300 USD). They are manufactured very badly. One of my friend is getting a custom made one from UK with the MAF fixed onto it. Will see how it goes.

GT110
11-26-2007, 01:37 PM
may i ask how much you pay for the airbox? I found those airbox made in china for 2000 HKD (which is about 300 USD). They are manufactured very badly. One of my friend is getting a custom made one from UK with the MAF fixed onto it. Will see how it goes.

This is the Hong Kong one, really poor build quality IMO but its also 1/4th of the price of the real thing. You need lots of modifications on the box to make it fit.

I did not want to go all the way with a more expensive box since this is a temporary solution. I will go for an engine swap or a supercharger later.

Thewiseguy
11-26-2007, 02:04 PM
300$! thats well worth it even if it worse quality. Are you going to be getting an alpha N chip?

bedema
11-26-2007, 02:41 PM
300$! thats well worth it even if it worse quality. Are you going to be getting an alpha N chip?
you gotta see it in real life...it is something that you will have lots of question marks before putting it on
i would save the 300 bucks and buy something else
but yeah...that's really cheap

GT110
11-26-2007, 02:58 PM
you gotta see it in real life...it is something that you will have lots of question marks before putting it on
i would save the 300 bucks and buy something else
but yeah...that's really cheap

I for one cant recomend the Chinese version box...

Razziel24
11-28-2007, 12:30 PM
I got mine from that ebay seller in HK, I paid U$ 300 for the CF intake and 400 for the GTR CF rear wing.
I had the trumpets painted on black, since their texture and looks were not the best... Im happy with it. :)

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2939000-2939999/2939403_29_full.jpg

gobuffs
11-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I got mine from that ebay seller in HK, I paid U$ 300 for the CF intake and 400 for the GTR CF rear wing.
I had the trumpets painted on black, since their texture and looks were not the best... Im happy with it. :)

Looks like a small opening for the inlet (bigger than a MAF, but smaller than other CF intakes I have seen).

HBpredhunter
12-03-2007, 03:10 AM
does the carbon box make any more power? or is it just when used with alpha N?

GT110
12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
In my case it probably does not make any more horses, only a better sound from the top half of the engine.

Some say that an airbox will reduce power, even with alphaN, others will argue that a good quality box (copy of the CSL box) and a remap with cams and exhaust will give close to 50-60 horses.

M3 Euro LTW
12-06-2007, 08:57 AM
I hate to rain on anyone's parade here....

But those CF boxes may very well do no more than save weight, and until one of you guys does a legit before and after dyno pull with no change other than the CF intake, I will doubt you're gaining HP, just making a different intake noise.

Why?

Well, because frankly, those cheap boxes are almost certainly clones of proper boxes made by doing a two part, external mold.

Why does this matter?

Well, BMW spent a small fortune designing the shape of the intake trumpet to properly draw air in under the NA conditions. Those boxes most likely have no intake funnel designed into the trumpets. I suspect its a hacked off, irregular shape, and probably induces turbulence compared to the proper shaped trumpet.

If you were using a FI set up you might overcome that poor design, and it would not matter, but in this case, the interior is supposed to have certain resonant properties and airflow into the trumpets is critical. Look at the wonderous shapes on the E39 M5 and E46 M3 as an example.

I am not trying to be critical of people who buy items for bling, I have respect for them, and understand the attraction of making a car look cool, and actually admire people who take the time to present their car well. My emphasis has been performance, and if anything I should spend more time making my car look nice.

(I'm not trying to start a flame war with people who have chosen this route, just trying to point out that it may actually detract from the performance)

Look inside a proper box, and you'll see funnels and $$ spent to get the proper shapes.

Alex.

Thewiseguy
12-06-2007, 01:26 PM

But those CF boxes may very well do no more than save weight, and until one of you guys does a legit before and after dyno pull with no change other than the CF intake, I will doubt you're gaining HP, just making a different intake noise.

Why?

Well, because frankly, those cheap boxes are almost certainly clones of proper boxes made by doing a two part, external mold.

Why does this matter?

Well, BMW spent a small fortune designing the shape of the intake trumpet to properly draw air in under the NA conditions. Those boxes most likely have no intake funnel designed into the trumpets. I suspect its a hacked off, irregular shape, and probably induces turbulence compared to the proper shaped trumpet.

If you were using a FI set up you might overcome that poor design, and it would not matter, but in this case, the interior is supposed to have certain resonant properties and airflow into the trumpets is critical. Look at the wonderous shapes on the E39 M5 and E46 M3 as an example.

I am not trying to be critical of people who buy items for bling, I have respect for them, and understand the attraction of making a car look cool, and actually admire people who take the time to present their car well. My emphasis has been performance, and if anything I should spend more time making my car look nice.

(I'm not trying to start a flame war with people who have chosen this route, just trying to point out that it may actually detract from the performance)

Look inside a proper box, and you'll see funnels and $$ spent to get the proper shapes.

Alex.

Not to mention it makes it much more difficult to install/remove. However I will say it must have some signifigant weight gains, and looks friggin awsome. The question of course is, would the pros out weigh (no pun intended) the cons?

morerevsm3
12-06-2007, 04:12 PM
I gained 2mph consistenly at drags, airbox with alpha n though

Thewiseguy
12-06-2007, 07:31 PM

wow, thats actually pretty signifigant. Thats in a quarter mile? Were your 60fts improved at all?

morerevsm3
12-06-2007, 10:09 PM
wow, thats actually pretty signifigant. Thats in a quarter mile? Were your 60fts improved at all?
still same 1.7 - 1.8 60'

GT110
12-08-2007, 03:13 AM
One thing is sure.. it makes a good sound. But if its costing power I would rather have the power than the noise.

Thewiseguy
12-08-2007, 11:39 AM
One thing is sure.. it makes a good sound. But if its costing power I would rather have the power than the noise.

make sure to post it up for sale if you want to get rid of it.

bedema
12-09-2007, 06:12 AM

Why?

Why does this matter?

Alex.
this is exactly what's on my mind...probably many people mis-understood that the airbox is only for holding more air as buffet...
the truth is...i am guessing that maybe number 6 cylinder will get the most air out of the other 5 cylinder...which means this cylinder will be running too lean...what's next?...blown cylinder!!!
if you have a look into your original m3 airbox...there are baffles at different area inside...whereas this CF airbox has NOTHING
but yes...it does looks great

GT110
12-09-2007, 10:32 AM
there are trumpets inside of the airbox, its not just a big empty airpocket. Still, I am going to remove it this evening and install the OEM intake system back on the engine. Why... well, im thinking of doing something else to the motor.

So if anyone is interested, this one is for sale, keep in mind that I have done some modifications to the box, and its not the best built box I have seen. PM me for a price.

ludaprix
12-12-2007, 07:25 AM
what kind of mpg did you get by fitting the maf and not having the alpha n or remap?

GT110
12-12-2007, 07:59 AM
what kind of mpg did you get by fitting the maf and not having the alpha n or remap?

exacly the same as before.

BTW its up for sale for 300 euros + shipping.

ludaprix
12-12-2007, 01:18 PM
ive bought one aswel, i was in two minds about fitting it, i dont want to run the alpha n either, so if i run the maf it will be fine even if i drive it hard???

GT110
12-12-2007, 02:41 PM
ive bought one aswel, i was in two minds about fitting it, i dont want to run the alpha n either, so if i run the maf it will be fine even if i drive it hard???

If you make sure its fitted tight to the throttle bodys and there is not additional air coming into the engine exept passing the MAF you should be ok.

Exacc
01-04-2008, 12:01 PM
I am currently installing mine...I think I have the exact same box as most people here have. I have a dyno run of 255 whp before the install, and it should be done by next week, and will have it tuned and dynoed as well. Will post the results when it is done.

I am still running the MAF, as I don't want to spend on Alpha N tuning, and the cost to tune everything. The MAF-less gain is really more significant with the E30 as it had a flap for a MAF...the E36 now only has a film, and I think it might not make much more difference by removing it. One thing is for sure...it is very hard to find space for both the filter and the MAF!

Exacc
01-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Some updates on the Airbox...after the install, we ran it on the dyno, and immediately got a lean reading above 5500 RPMS...somehow, the existing fueling setup was not enough to get it to safe AFR, so we installed a Walbro 255...Got the right fueling now, but sadly I lost up to 12 lb/ft torque...

Looking at my CF box from HK, I notice that it is different from morerevsm3, because it does not have the trumpets inside...It looks more like the Delage airbox inside. I am going to custom fab trumpets made of fiberglass molded from the stock trumpets...my theory is that when the car revs, and air starts to travel into the holes, some air hits the flat spots and bounces back, creating turbulence inside the airbox, instead of a smooth flow of air...this then slows the other air going into the holes...so the trumpets are there to channel all the air into the cylinders instead of just hitting the flat spots...

Give you guys more update later!

GT110
01-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Did you use any gaskets between the box and the throttle bodys?

I had seriouos suspicions that the box was not airtight there and was leaking air into the cylinders making the car lean.

I removed the box before I installed an AFR.

Exacc
01-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Did you use any gaskets between the box and the throttle bodys?

I had seriouos suspicions that the box was not airtight there and was leaking air into the cylinders making the car lean.

I removed the box before I installed an AFR.

Yup, there are gaskets in between the box and the engine...also I have a guy who does cusom fiberglass and resin for me...we basically added resin on the flange to make sure it is very flat...lots of resin and sanding to flatten it out.

I think its the lack of trumpets inside that is the problem....have to contact the seller since most of you guys have the trumpets inside.

M3 Euro LTW
01-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Interesting thread and comments.

I would have to say that the box without the internal trumpets is not the way to go....

If you're running AN, and have deleted the HFM from use with the airbox, then the air leak at the juncture the TB is not going to cause "unmetered air"... however, a leak at that place is VERY likely to cause turbulance and disrupt the flow of air to that cylinder......

Then that cylinder would run rich. If you have a situation where two of the three cylinders in the bank monitored by an 02 sensor (one for bank 1, another for bank 2) are running rich....then it would try and lean out that whole bank...and, it could cause damage to the one cylinder that wasn't leaking....

This is hypothetical on my part, I can't really claim to be a true expert and know that it could happen, I'm only hypothesizing here.....

Whats interesting is that newer BMW's are actually taking readings across the spark plug to allow the DME to adjust fuel and timing individually to cylinders to account for long term drifts....

Alex.

GT110
01-16-2008, 04:57 AM
I was afraid of the car running lean because of leakage at the TB's sice I was using the MAF.

fastdrive.org
01-16-2008, 04:31 PM
hello to all,i live in italy an had an z3m euro spec 321hp,i had the same motors of your:D
The carbon airbox it's on dream list,i see many selled around 2000 euros and require in more case an alpha n remap...See on sale airbox at 400 euros is really an bargain,i am curios to see if anyone make an remap whit it and see the real result..
Anyway talking whit my tuner,official bmw motorsport team,the car whit remap+schrick improve of 20 hp and this is next pass for the motor upgrade:)

GT110
01-17-2008, 03:59 AM
You can have my box for 300 euros + shipping.

fastdrive.org
01-18-2008, 03:27 PM
thanks GT110 but in this month stay looking to buy the exaust and strut bar for mine,i think for better result it's better install Together cams ecu and carbon airbox:)
Compliment for the mods you installed and the really rare and beauty m3 GT:buttrock
But for curisity you live in germany,the your sign is on nurburgring?

GT110
01-18-2008, 04:21 PM
thanks GT110 but in this month stay looking to buy the exaust and strut bar for mine,i think for better result it's better install Together cams ecu and carbon airbox:)
Compliment for the mods you installed and the really rare and beauty m3 GT:buttrock
But for curisity you live in germany,the your sign is on nurburgring?

I live in Luxembourg, about 130km from the Nurburgring :redspot

fastdrive.org
01-19-2008, 10:23 AM
you are lucky:D,rome is wornderfull for the climate an city but for trackday it's really bad situation...Vallelunga an nice circuit near rome but is open max two times yearly for the cars,in march they want 120 euro for 25 minutes:(!!
Normally i goes to mugello,not cheap,90 euro minutes...
Anyway i think this year i will definitive visit the ring,it's long trip ,1500km from rome but one time must to visit it..;)

GT110
01-20-2008, 02:51 AM
I go to the Ring at least 10 times a year, and 1-2 times to SPA Francorchamps

Exacc
01-26-2008, 01:37 AM
More update: Sad day today...After installing custom trumpets inside the box, dyno tune, the results is still down on the original power of 255 to the wheels. The power is some 18 WHP lower than stock!

I have abandoned the project, and returning the car in its original form. Not touching any carbon boxes anymore! Will probably do exhaust and cams instead.

Sorry but since I was not able to make power improvements, I cannot comment on what happened.

My only concern before while tuning it is my O2 sensor only monitors the AFR of 3 cylinders, within 6 inches of the collector of the 3 cylinders, that the other cylinders might be running lean, the others running rich, therefore a normal AFR in the end. WE agreed with the tuner to measure the other 3 cylinders as a group if we gain power, just for safety reasons. But since we did not gain anything, we never reached that point anymore!

Can't wait to get my car, haven't driven it for over 2 months now, and I am excited!

GT110
01-26-2008, 02:45 AM
More update: Sad day today...After installing custom trumpets inside the box, dyno tune, the results is still down on the original power of 255 to the wheels. The power is some 18 WHP lower than stock!

I have abandoned the project, and returning the car in its original form. Not touching any carbon boxes anymore! Will probably do exhaust and cams instead.

Sorry but since I was not able to make power improvements, I cannot comment on what happened.

My only concern before while tuning it is my O2 sensor only monitors the AFR of 3 cylinders, within 6 inches of the collector of the 3 cylinders, that the other cylinders might be running lean, the others running rich, therefore a normal AFR in the end. WE agreed with the tuner to measure the other 3 cylinders as a group if we gain power, just for safety reasons. But since we did not gain anything, we never reached that point anymore!

Can't wait to get my car, haven't driven it for over 2 months now, and I am excited!

Makes sense.. My box is down in the garage waiting to get sold on ebay for god knows what. Its in a box sitting beside 4 other boxes, that contain my Twin Turbo setup, that build will start on monday :devillook

Maleckis
01-26-2008, 03:48 AM
Makes sense.. My box is down in the garage waiting to get sold on ebay for god knows what. Its in a box sitting beside 4 other boxes, that contain my Twin Turbo setup, that build will start on monday :devillook
twin turbo setup from da-motorsport? make the thread and write regular updates, please.

bedema
01-28-2008, 09:06 AM

this is expected if you are using the china copy ones.
but you are taking the right step on removing the CF box

M3 Euro LTW
01-28-2008, 11:00 PM
I can not recall if the OP that has finally removed the CF intake had made any changes to the engine (other than trying to delete the stock plenum and perhaps the HFM to go AN)

Either way, this is not too surprising. I don't believe anyone has been able to show that with all stock cams, compression, injectors, headers etc... that there is a restriction in the factory equipment that can be relieved to gain an improvement in engine power.

I know of a very good tuner that could detect no vacuum at all in a BUILT 370 HP euro 3.2 with redline to 8K and shrick cams, custom pistons, light rods and SS headers..... absence of vacuum running THAT set up is not proof that a CF intake might not have lead to some gains, but it does suggest the stock set up flows well up to 380 HP....

If there was some change to the OP's engine such as raised redline, more agressive cams, more compression to go with the cams, and better exhaust system, maybe perhaps deleting the 3.5 inch inlet to the stock manifold might result in some improvement.

Alex.

GazM3
01-29-2008, 12:36 AM
when i do the alpha N tune on my s50b32 ill probably keep the factory plenum. I will experiment on the dyno removing / keeping the 90deg elbow though. If someone can guarantee a reasonable power increase (refund if not ) ill be happy to consider one.

GT110
01-29-2008, 04:18 AM
I only installed the CF box to get a better engine note :D I was never expecting power gains, but also I did not want to loose money.

rmndublin
02-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Fantastic car GT110, i have seen it at the ring too!

mdpowered
02-22-2008, 04:22 PM
i had a cf airbox from e36.de and they use the factory horns in there airboxes......

this being said i dynoed 270rwhp on a dynojet with my set up

Using a custom placed mass air in side the box and running on stock tuning .........?????

maybe im crazy but that sounds like an upgrade to me????

talal
02-24-2008, 07:49 PM

hi i orderd carbon fiber air box from hong kong for my s50 b32 and i dont know about its quilty

will it give more hp? i already have rich fuel because

( i have a tunning on my car and fuel presure regulatore )

if it gives me how many hp it will give to my car ?

i am using the oem maf sensor on my car not an alpha like you

this is the item num wich i bought from ebay 360026659884

tell me about its qulity

thanks

mdpowered
02-24-2008, 10:13 PM
sorry to brake the news to you but those air boxes are not the greatest ....that be said there is some things you can do if you at all handy ...

1. you need to buy stock horns and put them in the air box first ( because the hong kong style air boxes have straight runners which cause turbulance to the natural flow of the box

2.fitment sucks (its hard to get it in there with out leaks on the horns ...see step one.)

3. i dont run alpha N and i dont recommend it unless its a track car cause of running issues in temp. changes

4. so you will need to adapt the mass air in to the airbox some how (see pics i included).

so all in all your not completely screwed you just need to make some adjustments for it to run with optimal performance ....

and if you know anyone that can flash tune your car that always helps.......

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a79/desperodoz/BMW/DSC_0206.jpghttp://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a79/desperodoz/BMW/DSC_0271.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a79/desperodoz/BMW/DSC_0277.jpg

mdpowered
02-24-2008, 10:14 PM
these are just some air boxes ive custom done but no one else seems to do this to there airboxes ...not saying this is the best but it worked great for me.....

M3 Euro LTW
02-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Talal,

Good news:

This will look cool
This will weigh less than the factory aluminum intake plenum
You did not spend a fortune on this part to get these two advantages.

Bad news:

This is unlikely to have intake horns that are appropriate for smooth flow of air in a normally aspirated engine
This has the same diameter intake as the HFM by appearance, so it will not "free up" any theoretical restriction to airflow.

Accepted as relatively common knowledge:

The stock motors are not restricted by the HFM or the diameter of the intake at 3.5 inches. You have to seriously modify the cams, the redline, the exhaust, and probably compression as well to flow enough air that the stock set up actually restricts the power in some fashion.

I would not bet money that putting such a box, or any box for that matter will yield much improvement BY ITSELF alone.

Flame suit on, I'm sure a bunch of people will take issue with this...

Alex.

morerevsm3
02-25-2008, 04:20 AM
hi i orderd carbon fiber air box from hong kong for my s50 b32 and i dont know about its quilty

will it give more hp? i already have rich fuel because

( i have a tunning on my car and fuel presure regulatore )

if it gives me how many hp it will give to my car ?

i am using the oem maf sensor on my car not an alpha like you

this is the item num wich i bought from ebay 360026659884

tell me about its qulity

thanks

it is same seller I got mine from, mine does have trumpet shape inside, some since have not. if you reinstall the maf, you are reducing inlet from 4" back to 3'5" so will negate most possible gains anyway, it will really depend on how it gets tuned if you see increase or decrease in power, I gained some power (as evidenced by 2mph gain) but may be chip suited my exhaust mods etc as well, so I realy can't give an accurate answer on any of your questions

GazM3
02-25-2008, 06:34 AM
ahha maybe too many ppl were not offering the high buy up price on the hong kong box, and they have wartered the box down in design. hehe pity you cant nail the manufacturer for the claimed 50PS power gains. personally i think a CF manifold does have merit but its abit of a lottery with getting the right one and as some ppl have found you can actually go backwards

talal
02-28-2008, 06:36 PM
thanks guys

am worried that it will take hp from me

i will make a dyno before and after i instal it

and see the resaults of hp

talal
03-06-2008, 07:06 PM
at last the hm intake arrived

take a look guys

this is the intake from inside:cool

you can see the 6 trumpets

as you see there is 2 holes but we need 4 what i will do ?!!!!

i will let the oil separator and oil sump to the atmosphere or i will use a oil catch can any way i will turbo it in the future:D

thats why i will not use them

nice look i like carbon fiber:cool

cant wait to hear it sound

talal

M3 Euro LTW
03-07-2008, 04:44 PM
I see why the one in my garage cost $2K

mdpowered
03-07-2008, 05:08 PM
alex i was just thinking the same thing....maybe you do get what you pay for?(at least with airboxes)

GT110
04-21-2008, 04:21 AM
My Airbox now on Ebay, along with some other stuff from the GT.

http://search.ebay.de/_W0QQsassZsveinn_h