PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about BMW Operating Systems???

STRAPPD
11-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Hey, I am new to this forum but I figured this would be the best place to find the information that I am looking for in my research paper. My thesis goes as stated:

-The evolution of the production vehicle in terms of the dependency on computers has been primarily dominated by BMW engineering.

I am doing this for my operating systems class and I need to know whats good with the operating systems with today's engineered and probably close to past ten years if I can of bmw (pcm's?!?! if tha be what they named) computers/operating systems, and just so you know I am putting it in comparison most to GM. Yeah I drive a saturn which no one can hack the pcm worth shit or any chip modifications other than going complete stand alone so thats why I compare it to GM since that part of their computer systems bothers me. Any sources or input would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you guys.

jetpacman
11-09-2007, 02:31 AM
No offence but I can't understand your grammar so well. Not sure exactly what you are looking for.

I have a background in electronics and microcontrollers and I am learning how engine management works as I go along. From what I figure and what I have read here and here there the DME's or ECU's and PCM's will use custom embedded operating systems. These should be closed source.

Then of course in car entertainment systems might use more well known OS's. Like the iDrive uses Windows CE.

But maybe I am telling you what you know already. Just trying to add two cents.

STRAPPD
11-09-2007, 08:39 PM
no i appreciate the help, and I know working off the ecu's and pcm's have their own operating system and I trying to be as specific to the operating system as possible. I went and talked to a guy at the dealership and he might hook me up with talking to one of the tech mechanics who will hopefully help me out more than he did since he just told me about the DOUBLE VANOS and valvetronic along with the change of a bolt of steel to aluminum magnesium alloy giving more power and tourque so..

eleet
11-13-2007, 12:47 PM
When you develop for an embedded controller generally you use some kind of commercial realtime operating system, or if your project is very simple, you roll your own and write the functions that you need.

Tefal
11-25-2007, 08:45 AM
BMW use Bosch alot