PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose your Service Engine Soon and SRS like a PRO

alken
10-31-2007, 06:32 PM
Your BMW is probably a few years old by now. As sensors start to fail, vacuum leaks develop, and other parts wear, your Service Engine Soon light may come on to warn you of these conditions. When this light comes on, some people panic, some ignore it, and some just try to guess at the possible cause. None of these options represent the right choice.

When your Service Engine Soon light illuminates, a fault code is generated. That fault code corresponds to a specific condition that your car's ECU is trying to warn you about. To read this code, mechanics and do-it-yourself owners use a scan tool.

What most BMW owners don't realize is that our cars generate TWO separate diagnostic codes. One set is created and logged by the OBDII (On Board Diagnostics, generation II) system. The OBDII system uses government mandated and standardized codes that correspond to emissions related faults. Every make of car produced after 1996 has this system with identical codes. Using a generic OBDII reader, you or your mechanic can read these codes. Additionally, most auto parts stores will offer a free scan and reset using these generic tools.

Your BMW also generates codes that are based on BMW-specific, factory programmed parameters. These codes may not directly correspond to the generic OBDII faults. The BMW factory diagnostic codes typically offer a more specific, and often more accurate description of the fault detected by the car's ECU. Having the BMW code can save time and money by avoiding a vague or misleading diagnosis.

Generic OBDII tools DO NOT read these codes. Your dealer or BMW specialized shop can. With the proper tool, you can too.

Scan tools from Peake Research are the only INDUSTRY STANDARD, hand-held BMW-Specific readers available to the do-it-yourselfer. For the cost of what most service centers will charge for a one-time diagnostic service, you can own one of these tools.

Bimmertools is your NUMBER ONE source for these tools. We stock the complete selection, offer them well below MSRP, and ship them for free (domestic, ground only).

Currently, tools are available for BMWs produced from '87-'03. Coming very soon, the tool to read '03-'06 cars will be released.

Selecting the proper tool is easy. Visit our diagnostic section - www.bmwscantools.com - and follow the selections based on model year.

Our Peake Engine Scan Tools normally retail for $149. Bimmertools Price - $139.95 SHIPPED.

Our Peake SRS Airbag Scan Tools normally retail for $120. Bimmertools Price - $120.00 SHIPPED.

All scan tools include necessary cables, code manual, and carrying case. The tools are very small, easily fitting in your glove box. Have it ready when you need it.

Please visit our site - www.bimmertools.com, or click on the photo below for more information. If you have any questions about compatibility, do not hesitate to contact us directly via our Concierge Form, or by email - ken@bimmertools.com.

Thanks for looking!

Ken

eleet
11-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Let me say that I have both a Peake FCX and a Peake SRS tool.

Both work as advertised and and are the easiest way I've found to find out what's behind the check engine light or airbag light on the dash.

These are made very well.

umermariner
11-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Do you have an all in one tool, that can be used to check the check engine light (BMW specific codes), Airbag light, and programe the other programable features of BMW (like security, light settings etc).
I have the air bag light on (since I put in the new driver side airbag, as the frst one deploid, and I think the sensor at the front is fine)... Mechanic told me that I just need to reset it, he was unable to do that as he did not have the fancy tools (according to him). Any guidance?

alken
11-14-2007, 08:36 PM
We unfortunately don't offer a single multi-function tool like your describing. You may find a software solution, requiring a laptop, OBDII interface, and adapters that can perform these tasks. I am not familiar with these packages or their pricing and capabilities.

To read engine codes and SRS/airbag faults with the Peake tools we carry, you would need two separate units. We do offer a combination price of $258 with free domestic shipping for the R5-FCXII engine code tool and the R5-SRS airbag tool purchased together. With these tools, you can:

Read BMW Factory engine codes
Read BMW Factory SRS/Airbag codes
Reset Check Engine/SES light
Reset Airbag warning light
Reset Oil Service Interval reminder
Reset Service Interval reminders

Each tool comes with a manual and carrying case. We have them in stock and ready to ship.

Ken

umermariner
11-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Thanks Ken.. what about a tool for programming?
Thanks

alken
11-14-2007, 09:29 PM
I don't know of any hand-held tool for programming. I think you're looking at a more advanced software/laptop solution for that type of application.

Ken

umermariner
11-14-2007, 09:32 PM
OK.. Thanks man.. I guess you do not deal with these kind of laptop solutions?

alken
11-14-2007, 10:15 PM
OK.. Thanks man.. I guess you do not deal with these kind of laptop solutions?

Correct - not at this time.

Ken

alken
11-15-2007, 11:42 PM
/\

alken
11-23-2007, 01:48 PM
/\