PDA

View Full Version : Running on 5cyls problem

liquidtension
10-22-2007, 04:49 AM
The car was driving perfectly, then it started misfiring while cruising, but still pulled as usual when given throttle, after about 10mins it started misfiring like crazy. I pulled the plugs of the COP for all cyls, and #5 doesnt affect the engine idle whether it's plugged in or not.
So i swapped COP's with the adjacent cylinder, and #5 still misfired.
I pulled the #5 spark plug and it looked ok, not oil fouled or anything.

I dont know what the next troubleshooting step is, why would only #5 not be firing ? It seems very uncommon and weird.
The car isnt smoking oil or anything...
Is it safe for the engine to drive it slowly just to commute ?

I think i will swap spark plugs with the adjacent cylinder next and try,
how do i check if the connector is sending a signal to the COP ?

Philip A
10-22-2007, 06:09 AM
Have you tried swapping the injector?
Regards Philip A

liquidtension
10-22-2007, 06:46 AM
ill try to swap the spark plug in abit, then ill try swapping the injector,
this sucks though, as i have MS1 + 6 new 60# injectors, but i dont want to install them til xmas cuz ive got no time nor do i know how!... and finding a used s50b32 injector is gonna be a bitch.

just curious, will a bad injector show up on the diagnostics ?

liquidtension
10-22-2007, 08:43 AM
ok so i switched the plugs and it turned out to be a bad plug, even though it looks perfectly fine..
that's good news, but i searched a dozen shops and nobody has the NGK's,
and the stealership dont have the plugs either, need 20days to get them and they cost $45 each!

gobuffs
10-22-2007, 09:50 AM
clubplug.net ship to you? That is wher ei bought mine, but they are still aren't cheap (US$20 per when i bought mine a few years ago). Wouldn't hurt to have an extra set around.

liquidtension
10-22-2007, 03:57 PM
thanks for the site,
im thinking about getting the S54 plugs(NGK DCPR8EKP), Maleckis is running them since they are 1 degree colder than the PKR7A, sounds like a plan ?

Maleckis
10-23-2007, 03:26 AM
I’m running yours stock spark plugs, Eric. They’re 1 degree colder then those from S50B30. I was said that S54 spark plugs fit in S50, but I checked it and there is a difference in threads. I’m sorry for misleading.

liquidtension
10-23-2007, 04:22 AM
np Chris, i'm glad i posted up before ordering them, worst case scenario i would have tried to install them, wouldn't fit,i'd be bummed, and you'd have to buy me an e46 m3 with all that dentist money to make me happy again :stickoutt

Maleckis
10-23-2007, 04:37 AM
np Chris, i'm glad i posted up before ordering them, worst case scenario i would have tried to install them, wouldn't fit,i'd be bummed, and you'd have to buy me an e46 m3 with all that dentist money to make me happy again :stickoutt

I have just paid $160 for valve seal rings, head bolts, few o-rings and now I even don’t have money for presentday breakfast. Instead of E46 M3 I would buy you some soft toys :redspot.

Best Regards, Eric.

liquidtension
10-23-2007, 09:45 AM
i have some plugs from when i had the S14 engine, it seems the thread size is as big as the S50B32 plugs (12mm i believe),
it says X5DTC on it, but thats the bosch part number, i cant find online what is the NGk equivalent, i'd like to know if i can run it in the car for now til the spark plugs arrive..
any idea about the degree of coldness compared to the PKR7A ?
thanks

liquidtension
10-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Ok so i checked the NGK website, and apparently:
http://www.ngk.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=1013184&pid=3708 <<<S14B32

http://www.ngk.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=&pid=2362 <<< S50B32

the S14 NGK equivalent is: D7EA, both have 12mm thread and 3/4" reach

so it has the same degree of coldness as the S50B32 (which is 7)
i think ill run it at the moment to commute without sounding like a subaru boxer engine!