PDA

View Full Version : Repair Help In St. Louis?

Johno
03-20-2003, 01:22 PM
I'm going to replace my brake pads soon on my M3, and do it myself to save money.

Are there any St. Louis people who have done this and would be willing to spend a couple of hours talking me through it?

I'm pretty capable mechanically, but I'm a little nervous about doing brakes the first time myself. I have the Bently manual and instructions from Racepad already. I'm just scared something will go wrong.

I'd be willing to pay something for your time.

I live near 141 and Big Bend, and I have all the tools I need, I think.

John Osthus

Patrick33
03-20-2003, 04:34 PM
wow, im about to do the same thing. From what I have learned is that it is pretty much impossible to screw this job up. I think that the hardest part is getting the rotors off to change them. Im not sure if im going to do it myself though. I might just take it to midas and have them do it.

Johno
03-20-2003, 11:29 PM
I was told by the people who sold me brake pads that the rotors will not need to be changed. Assuming I change the pads before the pads wear out.

My car has 52K, with the original brakes. I am now concerned whether I heard the correct information about the rotors.

Patrick33
03-21-2003, 01:21 PM
just go out to your car and feel the outer edge of the rotor. if there is a lip on the rotor, you probably need new ones.

Brent_Vino
03-26-2003, 02:22 AM
i just had my front and rear rotors and pads replaced..

1000 bux... i wish i had the time, patience, knowledge and tools to work on my car myself.:(

Johno
03-26-2003, 10:00 AM
That's a scary number.

I can't imagine how it could cost so much.

Thanks for the motivation to do it myself.

If ANYBODY in St. Louis will help me, I will make it worth your while -- to some reasonable extent. And all you need to do is sit in a lawn chair and sip a drink. Read a book, whatever.

John

ponq
03-26-2003, 12:57 PM
I'm mechanically inclined, and would be glad to help you out, but I have not changed the pads on my 325 yet.
Let me know, if you want a hand,
Benja

Johno
03-26-2003, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the offer. I'm mechanically inclined too, and I'm looking for somebody who has done the work before.
When do you need to do your pads? If nothing else, maybe we could muddle through it together.

The dealer was going to check my pad thickness when the car is in the shop for a AC fan issue, so at least I'll know how much time I have to find a brake mentor.

John

PeteK
03-27-2003, 11:49 AM
You guys just missed it. At the last BMW/Porsche driver's school there was a hands-on how-to change your brake pads!

It's a pretty easy job, especially if you have the Bently manual for reference!

Hey Brent_Hockey how much were the rotors? Did they replace them with Bremos? Those should have only been about 70 bucks each. What pads did they use? I agree that $1000 is pretty high for this job!

Brent_Vino
03-27-2003, 05:42 PM
1000 bux parts and labor. let me go get my bill......

ok wait.... i added up wrong..... heres what it cost...

707.82 parts & labor... factory pads and rotors.

trip sensors, M3 Rotors, M3 Pads, brake disc, and spray...

sorry for the 1000... I forgot i also had valve cover gasket leak.. which was another 150 then the Tax...

Brent_Vino
03-27-2003, 05:43 PM
even though my brakes are complete, I would like to help if you guys decide to get together to do your brakes.... I would like to learn by watching and lending a hand.

let me know if you guys decide to get together.

thanks

Patrick33
03-27-2003, 09:50 PM
yeah, i need to replace my pads/rotors too, maybe when i get them we could all set up a big "brake day." Does anyone have jackstands or a lift?

Brent_Vino
03-28-2003, 12:22 AM
i aint got shit

PeteK
03-28-2003, 10:10 AM
I just replaced the brakes on my wife's Accord yesterday... Her's were VERY easy! A 17mm socket and a C-clamp are all the tools I needed (once the tire was off)!

The BMW's are slightly more complicated (brake wear sensor), but still not hard at all.

I can offer any help you guys need. A lift isn't needed, but jack stands would help. I just stick the tire that I remove under the car for added saftey, but if you're on a level surface it shouldn't be a problem.

This weekend is booked for me. I'll be out at Gateway for the road race, but let's set up something soon!

ponq
03-28-2003, 11:41 AM
I'll buy anything needed for the job, money saved from not paying someone else, right? I'm also busy this weekend, after that, I'm good to go.:buttrock

Brent_Vino
03-28-2003, 02:00 PM
how about April 5th/6th next weekend.....?

Johno
03-31-2003, 10:18 AM
I'd love to get in on this, but next weekend won't work. My first window is two weekends from now, so I may not be much good for the group.

When the time comes I have a floor jack, and jack stands, but the stands have the wrong tips. (U-shaped, won't work, right?)

Anyway, the dealer told me I have 6 mm of pad left in the rear and 7 mm left in front. So I have a little time, but I would love to get in on some group repair action here in St. Louis.

For what it's worth, I have experience and confidence with the following repairs:

Spark plugs (and coils)
Alarm install
Microfilter replacement
Oil Change (I know, I'm bragging here. You too can learn)
Intake install
Oil change light reset
Fog lamp replacement
Hockey puck replacement
Re-arrange coin trays and drink holders
Turbo install (just kidding)

John

Brent_Vino
03-31-2003, 03:50 PM
how about the 12th or the 19th..... I know there is a bmw Winery Run on one of the these weekends in April.... i'll have to the bmw calender and find out what day it is..........

ok the BMW wine run is 4/26...

Johno
03-31-2003, 05:47 PM
The 19th sounds good.

But the irony now is that I, the one who started the "need help" thread, appear to have several months worth of brake pad left. So I don't need help just yet.

That said, I would like to see some kind of casual local BMW owners meeting going, maybe at some place like Fritz's in West county, or whatever.

Or, if there already is a local group that meets, it would be nice to know when and where, etc.

JO

Brent_Vino
03-31-2003, 10:28 PM
http://www.stlbmwclub.com/calendar.shtml

there is the calendar..... but i would like to get together for happy hour or whatever more frequently that is advertised... im all for doing something... hell, some people arent 21 but that shouldnt stop from going to a bar n grill or a fast food joint.

dakar1
04-01-2003, 09:38 AM
I am having a stainless steel brakeline swap at my house in south city that day with guiness available. If anybody wants to come in and hang out with some gearheads it would be fun. I have a decent garage, no lift or anything but it should be good times. Have a pressure bleeder for anyone who wants to bleed their lines really quick we can do that. Lets get some thing rolling here.
cenk

PeteK
04-02-2003, 12:12 PM
This Saturday is good for me, but there is an autocross on Sunday.

April 12th and 13th is out because I'll be working at the Porsche club driver's school.

The 19th and 20th are completely open!

Are you guys into F1? The San Marino (Imola) Gran Prix is that Sunday! It's early in the morning, but the rebroadcast is at 8:00! :clap:

So here's what I propose. Sunday, April 20th we get together at dakar1's house to work on cars all day, then go somewhere else to drink beer and watch the race! :beer:

Or of course we could stick with the 19th and go out for drinks after.

BTW - The BMW club is having a social outting on the 17th at Rigazzis on the Hill! Starts at 6:30. I'll be there!:D

ponq
04-02-2003, 01:59 PM
You guys get the details sorted out, and I'll be there.

dakar1
04-02-2003, 03:41 PM
i just talked to the head of the stl cca club president they are going to make the april 12th a tech day for the club at my house for the same stainless steel line work. So i can not change the date anymore. This can also be found on the stl cca website on the message board. Thank you for all the interest and see you guys there.

Brent_Vino
04-02-2003, 11:12 PM
April 19th / 20th.....

sounds good to me.... i can go either day... can anyone NOT make one of these days????? I would prefer a Saturday, so when we go out drinkin, i dont have to worry about it being Monday.

ponq
04-09-2003, 01:50 PM
So the stainless steel brakeline swap is occuring april 12, for cca members and non members? The message board is down at BMW stl cca. I may be busy, but I'd like to know some more information just in case.

PeteK
04-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Awww man, that sux! My Saturday's are kind of shot until I get the IT car finished, since it's really the only day of the week that I have to work on it...

If you guys can post here where you think you'll end up drinking after the work is done, I'll try to meet ya there!

Patrick33
04-09-2003, 10:07 PM
oh man, im only 16, i guess its the brakes only for me ;)

Brent_Vino
04-11-2003, 07:19 PM
tomorrow... anyone know where this guy lives by uncle bills?

Patrick33
04-11-2003, 09:31 PM
i hope we can arrange another date for brake pad/rotor swaps, as mine havent arrived yet.

ponq
04-14-2003, 11:41 AM
I'm going to order some pagids this week, if you can wait for mine to come in. I don't have a garage or descent workspace though.