PDA

View Full Version : smg query-Urgent please.

scollaym3evo
09-29-2007, 05:35 AM
hey guys,i own a 98 M3 evo with smg,unfortunately the smg unit has packed in on me and a replacement from bmw is costing £2000 +vat!ive stripped the unit down and traced the fault to the 12v motor,was wondering if anyone knew where i could find one from a write off or if its a part that was carried over to the E46 M3?thanx in advance for any info.

=BA=
10-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Hard to say really.

If it has a part number from the guys who fabricate it you might be lucky. Otherwise you're @#$%.

BMW sells the unit as whole piece only. And dealers know next to nothing about the SMGI system is my expirience. If you want info you end up calling BMW motorsport.

Best luck is try to get a used unit off ebay or a breakers yard I'd say.

M3 Euro LTW
10-05-2007, 02:31 PM
I have a variety of SMG related items.

Please email me at xyobgyn@aol.com to get a phone number, and if you can put up a part number for the item you need off realoem.com, I can be sure to get it right.

I'm almost certain to have the items,

Alex.

bedema
10-16-2007, 01:27 PM
i used to have my m3 in smg form....about 6 months ago on a quiet night...the smg finally gave up...had it checked by the garage...not a clue...got a set of donor smg...did the swap...still no good. At the same time, there was another smg in bmw dealer with a screwed smg. So...checked the cost, it was about HK$25000 for the smg system...ok...expected, but how long can this work for me? 1 year? 2 years?....no clue
so...ordered a manual gearbox from ebay uk...got conned...lost money...me stupid!!! ordered another one from a UK shop...arrived in 2 months time...
actual installation was straight forward...any reasonable garage can do it...all you need are the pumps, pedal, shifter and plumbing. 2 days later....done!!! Flashed the ECU for the sake of it....i am a happy manual m3 owner!!!
Total cost for the installation around HK$40000...(about 5000 USD labor included)
oh, btw, i got a SSK from Rogue Engineering in the states....i think this is a better set than the commonly used UUC package and it comes with a weighted selecting rod too which UUC charges another 100 USD
at least...i don't have to worry about failing smg in the future

PenguinScotty
10-16-2007, 01:54 PM
i used to have my m3 in smg form....about 6 months ago on a quiet night...the smg finally gave up...had it checked by the garage...not a clue...got a set of donor smg...did the swap...still no good. At the same time, there was another smg in bmw dealer with a screwed smg. So...checked the cost, it was about HK$25000 for the smg system...ok...expected, but how long can this work for me? 1 year? 2 years?....no clue
so...ordered a manual gearbox from ebay uk...got conned...lost money...me stupid!!! ordered another one from a UK shop...arrived in 2 months time...
actual installation was straight forward...any reasonable garage can do it...all you need are the pumps, pedal, shifter and plumbing. 2 days later....done!!! Flashed the ECU for the sake of it....i am a happy manual m3 owner!!!
Total cost for the installation around HK$40000...(about 5000 USD labor included)
oh, btw, i got a SSK from Rogue Engineering in the states....i think this is a better set than the commonly used UUC package and it comes with a weighted selecting rod too which UUC charges another 100 USD
at least...i don't have to worry about failing smg in the future

I think i just fainted... 5k USD for a manual swap? Did you buy the ENTIRE transmission? Otherwise... how did you spend so much money?:confused

IIRC a dealer quoted me 2k Euros (2600 USD+/- abit) for the ENTIRE SMG pump assembly.

I hope mine never dies for good if you really have to lay down 5 grand :(

=BA=
10-16-2007, 02:06 PM
A 6 speed euro tranny is about 5000 euro from the dealers, and then you have to trade them your old one. Same for SMG which is about 5500.

Used 6 speed goes for 1500 euro or so.

So then it suddenly makes sense to repair your SMG unit for 2000 :D

PenguinScotty
10-16-2007, 02:55 PM
A 6 speed euro tranny is about 5000 euro from the dealers, and then you have to trade them your old one. Same for SMG which is about 5500.

Used 6 speed goes for 1500 euro or so.

So then it suddenly makes sense to repair your SMG unit for 2000 :D

True that. I wonder how hard it would be to just convert the SMG tranny to Manual. It basically is the same Getrag transmission just with added bits and pieces.

I should definitely do some reasearch incase mine decides to implode :confused

bedema
10-17-2007, 05:56 AM
since i am in hk and there is no competent garage here...the smg gearbox is not much difference from the manual. I will try to take my smg gearbox apart when i have time and see what the difference are. I supposed the only difference is the gear selection ball bearing holding the gear stick in netural and the stop for putting into reverse. otherwise...there is no difference at all.

zparker
10-28-2007, 01:06 PM
DUDE IT IS THE SAME TRANSMISSION!!!!! Get a short shifter kit, pedal, reservoir lines and your done, other then the electronics, which i am trying to get the low down on now.

It is also the same transmission that is in the e46 m3, m5, and 540 sport...Getrag 6sp...it will bolt into each one of those cars...Free advice, dont buy another transmission.

wingshot
11-01-2007, 09:12 AM
I thought the SMG tranny had completely different springs and gates than the manual one to allow the computer to more easily shift between gears with a minimum of resistance? If that is indeed true, you'd have to fully dismantle the SMG unit and replace the shifter parts with those from a manual unit. This was unconfirmed, but it is worth exploring if you're trying to convert from SMG.

bedema
11-01-2007, 02:01 PM
DUDE IT IS THE SAME TRANSMISSION!!!!! Get a short shifter kit, pedal, reservoir lines and your done, other then the electronics, which i am trying to get the low down on now.

It is also the same transmission that is in the e46 m3, m5, and 540 sport...Getrag 6sp...it will bolt into each one of those cars...Free advice, dont buy another transmission.
obviously you haven't done this transformation yet. The shifting pattern is difference on the manual to the smg gearbox. The neutral position is between 5th and 6th gear against the normal manual gearbox sitting between 3rd and 4th. There is also no resistance putting into reverse...so, chances of putting into reverse instead of 1st is about 99%.
You have to machine the smg gearbox housing to fit a set of springs on it. I haven't get time to try it yet, but it should not be too difficult if you have the right tools

zparker
11-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Let me check with my friend who is a master tech at bmw. He has looked up everything since he has gotten a warranty transmission from a e46 smg....which is the same.

zparker
11-01-2007, 06:19 PM
oh and no i have not done it yet. Hopefully mine will not die before i leave dubai and i will do it in the states where my tools and stuff are.

=BA=
11-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Let me check with my friend who is a master tech at bmw. He has looked up everything since he has gotten a warranty transmission from a e46 smg....which is the same.

Getrag internals are the same, but the housing etc isn't. Also SMG2 is a different control system all together.

bedema
11-02-2007, 02:31 PM
oh and no i have not done it yet. Hopefully mine will not die before i leave dubai and i will do it in the states where my tools and stuff are.
to be honest, those smg give no sign before giving up!!!
i was in dubai coule weeks ago during ramada and i was staying at the grand hyatt resort...nice hotel and nice city there
have fun

zparker
11-04-2007, 11:08 AM
i thought the damn thing was shot yesterday. went into E2 then E1 fluid everywhere, In the middle lane and rush hour traffic...ran out of flid from a leaky line, pumped the clutch line full of air and threw a low pressure fault. Got it towed, replaced the leaky line, which i already had, filled it with fluid and still nothing but a horrible gear grind and slammed into reverse, died, and wouldnt come out. They bled the clutch line checked for leaks and i have it back today...360 dollars later.

Racing this weekend so i will see if it holds up.

Conversion is going to happen here in dubai. Will give tips to those wanting to do it and pictures. Will start a new thread for that one and hopefully it will go sticky.