PDA

View Full Version : if i were to buy

grk325
03-18-2003, 10:15 PM
Hello guys,
I currently own a 1989 325i. I’m posting here because I am thinking about purchasing an E30 M3. I have a few questions that I would like feedback on.

What year should I look at and why? Are there any differences in the years? Spec wise Hp and torque?

What’s the Evo version?

How many miles are too much? But miles do not matter if the car was well maintained.

If it were not well maintained how much would I be looking at to rebuild the engine and transmission?

How much should I pay for an m3? It does not go by year, the sell prices, because they do very from there condition correct?

If I were to rebuild the motor for a turbo set up is it worth it? Where can I find information on E30 M3 turbo? Who sells products and where can I find setups of other turbo M3’s?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

GreekDriver
03-18-2003, 10:26 PM
I'm in a similair situation. I drive an 1987 325i, and I've been looking for an E30 M3.

I think the 88 M3 is the best one. I've never heard of or seen a turbo one. There is a 2.5 liter conversion you can do as far as heavy mods go.

I'm sure you've checked out Dinan BMW (http://www.dinanbmw.com/) already.

I believe an 88 M3 in descent condition goes for about 11,000. Rather pricey for a car that old and that slow. But it's such a slick car that I don't car how slow it is!

JamesM3M5
03-18-2003, 10:32 PM
All US M3s are the same except for a couple of minor details. 91 cars have an airbag. 90 an 91 have fixed rear windows, while 88 and 89 rear windows pop out. Ellipsoids headlights were on some 1989s, but they were removed in 90 and 91 to save $$. 1989 and later have offset front control arm bushings, but most 1988 M3 have them installed by now (wear item).

Short answers:

Expect to pay $12-15k total for the car and repair parts. Cheap M3s need repair, while ones that don't cost that much more.

Miles are important. Have a compression and leakdown test done before committing to a car.

They all have ~195HP and ~170lb-ft of torque. Older cars with bad compression/leakdown will have less.

Turbos for these cars are few and far between. Sure, you can develop your own, but expect to spend $10k just for the engine and turbo mods. Dyno time and expertise are extra. Dinan used to do it, but I only know of 2 in existence.

If you want lots of power, keep your 325i and drop in a US E36 engine. You can get an M3 engine for $6k, do cams, HFM, injectors, software, and see 280-300BHP at the crank (total $10k). Do a cheap turbo on an S14 and watch your engine grenade.

JamesM3M5
03-18-2003, 10:35 PM
If you think the E30 M3 is old and slow, be prepared to be passed on their home turf--a racetrack. Screw the stoplight drag scene, E30 M3s are not meant for it. They show their true colors flying through turns at full song pulling 7800 RPMs.

GreekDriver
03-18-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by JamesM3M5
If you think the E30 M3 is old and slow, be prepared to be passed on their home turf--a racetrack. Screw the stoplight drag scene, E30 M3s are not meant for it. They show their true colors flying through turns at full song pulling 7800 RPMs.

I totally agree with you. I can't do any track racing though, I'm in highschool. Only racing I can do is drag. My uncle has an 88 M3, I've driven and it's fast in it's own right and it handles great, but compared to modern day sports cars the 0-60 time of 7.7(?) and price it's at is a little bit of a turn off. It's still on my Top 5 cars I want list though.

I just don't track race. So, your right, my other comment was phrased wrong. :)

grk325
03-19-2003, 09:26 AM
well what about this one
http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/vdetail.jtmpl?car_id=125422544&dealer_id=&car_year=1988&make=BMW&distance=any&max_price=&model=M3&advcd_on=n&end_year=1990&min_price=&certified=n&address=21029&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1983&color=

im just looking for now, since my cousin opened up his own business and im going to work for him im waitng until everything starts running so i can make some $$$ then when i get the cash a may buy an m3 or ill just to an engine was that was said above on my 325i...but if the m3 i bought had high miles i would have put a e36 motor into it...

EVOIIIM3
03-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Oh, where to start....
First, any year is good, there is no "better" year. The later cars had some updates, but just about all of them should be updated by now.

As far as being fast, there are very FEW cars that can keep up. 6sec 0-60 is not hard to do in a E30 M3. Mine is under 6sec but is hard to do due to wheel spin.

Turbo? WHY? If you want a FI setup or super HP numbers keep the 325.

The E30 m3 is a PACKAGE, it's a very well rounded car, it does everything so well. And lets not forget that the car was designed in the early 80's and has a lot of old techonolgy.

There are a TON of upgrades for the car, you just need to know where to look. The best part about having a E30 M3, is that most of the go fast parts are FACTORY race parts!

Also it's not a car for everyone, it will feel very sluggish at low RPM's. Once you op en it up, the car takes off!

Then there is the maintaince thing. If you don't have disposable income, let the car go, you can NOT afford it! Most parts are 3x the cost of 325 parts. Some are even more then that!

I guess it comes down to you have to own the car to fully understand what it can do!

ROB89M3
03-24-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by EVOIIIM3

I guess it comes down to you have to own the car to fully understand what it can do!

EXACTAMENTO ! :buttrock