PDA

View Full Version : My First Racing Encounter

jaramill
03-07-2001, 09:18 PM
Well I finally had my first encounter with another BMW M3....or so it seemed. These 2 high school kids in a black M3 with the AC Schnitzer package pulled out of the gas station as they saw me drive by. As we got to a stoplight they asked.........."Wanna race?".

My impulse is to say "yeah" but I don't need another speeding ticket on a side street in the middle of the day, so I told them, I know of a service road next to the I-405 Fwy in Los Angeles. Well, we got there, there's no traffic, I let him get next to me, then I dropped the hammer............1st gear/5000rpm, 2nd gear/4500rpm, 3rd gear/4500rpm, 4th gear/4000rpm.

At this point he's about 1.5 car lengths behind and closing when all of a sudden I pop it.......BACK DOWN to 3rd gear and BOOM!!! Talk about hyperspace! Buh-bye!! As soon as I got distance, I slowed down, let him pass in case there's a cop waiting and he pulled ahead.

When we got to the light he said "Nice car. Is it an M3?" I said yeah, he said "mine's 328is...with the M3 kit". I was shocked. In my mind I'm saying "another fake". Goes to show that nothing beats an original.......an original M3 that is.

BMW - The Ultimate Driving Experience..............Amen.

Gio

tampaturbom3
03-07-2001, 09:24 PM
you are shifting way too soon,, if it would have been a real m3,, you would have been spanked. the best place to shift is 7k for 1st and about 6750 for the rest of the gears in stock form. just thought i would mention it in case you wanted to know

jaramill
03-07-2001, 09:28 PM
Really? Hmmm............well that's why I have you people to help me out. Yeah I guess I should go higher. But then again he was in a 328is with a kit. So now I know.

Thanks TampaTurboM3.

Gio

CMT
03-08-2001, 02:44 PM
What color red is that? Is that custom? That's the best looking red I've ever seen on a BMW. Are there any more pics available of your car? I would love to see them.

Scott Yu
03-08-2001, 02:51 PM
Hey Jaramill, don't know if you've got any other pics of your ride, but help yourself to this one. :)

scott

http://www.artaudio.com/jaramill.jpg

jaramill
03-08-2001, 02:56 PM
I do have more pics of my car, and I can e-mail anyone if they give me their address. The pics are digital quality and area about 300kb so I can't post them on here since the limit is 100kb.

Gio

CMT
03-08-2001, 03:09 PM
nice photo! But the red looks different....

M3 Pete
03-09-2001, 09:25 PM
so this is where they liked your pink car! LOL!

What does that guy know anyway, he drives a stinkin' estoril blue car, those guys don't know anything. ;)

Don't tell me, the place you raced was an onramp to the 405, just south of Manchester, off La Cienega I think. Super long straight right next to the freeway, perfect drag strip.

jaramill
03-09-2001, 09:29 PM
No it was on Sepulveda Blvd going south along the I-405 Fwy by Montana Ave I think, before Sunset Blvd/Getty Center exit. The 2 high school kids had a 328is with an ACS package and an M3-look alike body kit with no 328is logo on so it was confusing. I was disappointed in hearing it wasn't a real M3. Well like TampaTurboM3 said "if it was a real M3 I would've been spanked the way I was shifting". Now I know.

Gio