PDA

View Full Version : Small oil leak on head pins

calypsoSA
09-23-2007, 11:25 AM
OK quick question. The 2 pins that hold the head to the block. the ones closest to the vanos unit. I leak about 1 drop of oil a week out of there. Its always got that wet look around the bolt if you know what i mean. Is this something to worry about? And what would be the cause of this.

Thanks

calypsoSA
10-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Bumping with a pic.

Can anyone help?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/calypso1/Photo-0065.jpg

Philip A
10-04-2007, 08:50 PM
They have rubber gaskets under them. The tension is determined by a shoulder bottoming, so If teh gaskets are old and compressed they may not have tension. Buy some new gaskets and you will stop the leak.
Regards Philip A

calypsoSA
10-05-2007, 01:37 AM
Thanks

calypsoSA
10-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Also do those pins need to be torqued? What im trying to say is that can i do this with the few tool i have at home, or should i leave to for the mechanic at the next service?

Philip A
10-05-2007, 02:45 AM
From your question, it appears you may not have enough "feel" to do it by hand so maybe its wise to have a mechanic do it. I doubt any mechanic would do it with a torque wrench ( in the real world).
The only danger is that you will strip the bolt, or the thread in the head OUCH . The bolts you see are to hold the valve cover down onto its gasket and keep the oil in.
If you try it yourself only use the small spanner from the tool kit. You will feel it as it tightens the rubber gasket, then it will stop suddenly as it hits the shoulder. Do not try to tighten it any more than just a tiny tweak.
Regards Philip A

M3 Euro LTW
10-05-2007, 02:35 PM
my thoughts are that they're already stripped, and thats why they're leaking....

Bummer.

calypsoSA
10-06-2007, 02:27 AM
As far as i know they have never been touched. So i hope thats not the case.