PDA

View Full Version : Chip information??

D.Kauz
03-14-2003, 10:47 PM
What's going on everyone! I just wanted to know if the Conforti chip was legal in California? Also, which chip do you guys prefer?

Bry
03-15-2003, 12:07 AM
I've never heard of the Jim C. chip being illegal in California. The only problem with it that I have heard of is the cheap 91 octane gas could ping.

I've heard of concerns with extra emissions with the chip, but as long as the car is tuned right, there shouldn't be a problem. The Jim C. chip is the best chip that you can get for the money (the most aggressive, meaning the most power out of it).

D.Kauz
03-15-2003, 12:26 AM
Tuned right.....yeah I have to find out if my car is running up to par. The previous owners was an old couple. It seems to run good with the amount of miles it has logged in. What kind of tests or what can i do to check out my car??

Bry
03-15-2003, 12:56 AM
The things that will make the E30 M3 pass emissions is:

Make sure your cat converter isn't old
Throttle bodies synched
Base CO set
Idle set
If it hasn't been done in a while, a valve adjustment

These things will make the car run and pass emissions most likely. There can be other problems that have to be diagnosed like the air flow meter etc. but these things are little things that should be done every once in a while to keep the car in tip top running condition.

Unfortunately to do this stuff you need some special tools and meters, so it is something that you will have to pay a lot of money for the tools, or take it into a mechanic.

JamesM3M5
03-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Jim C chip is 100% legal. If you need to get emissions inspected, make sure you get the engine and exhaust nice and hot before rolling onto the dyno tester. Don't let them give you the BS about no "Check Engine" light, they didn't have them, PERIOD. Some guys say the shop gives them a hard time about that. There is no Check Engine light on an E30 M3.