PDA

View Full Version : Removing /replacing Harmonic balancer 3 litre

Philip A
08-29-2007, 06:32 AM
I have to replace my water pump and apparently have to remove the balancer.
I have studied the TIS and it appears frm the illustration that the 4 balancer bolts are male TORX . The TIS gives the size of the bolt as M12x1.5.
Any one know if the bolts are TORX and if so what size socket.

The torque specs are given as 60NM , then "Torque angle" 50degrees, and this is repeated.
My guess is that I should tighten the bolts to 60NM, and then in turn 50degrees, then again in turn 50 degrees.
Any confirmation?
What a PITA.
Regards Philip A

Critter7r
08-29-2007, 08:38 AM
You are correct on the "torque angle" definition.

If the head is a Torx, it's probably a T-40 or 45. If you have a set of Torx bits, you'll be able to figur it out. If you don't, then go buy a quality set with T-15 up to about T-60 and you'll be set.

Oh, male Torx.... those are listed as an E-40 or E-45. Go get a set of those too. Those are more like sockets, I guess. Haven't run across too many of those, but they are gaining popularity I've been told.

JamesM3M5
08-29-2007, 08:59 AM
"Inverted Torx" sockets are listed as "E#". The balancer heads fit an E14 socket. You need E10, E12, and E14 sockets for the Torx bolts holding the transmission to the engine, so a set of sockets is quite handy.

Replace those bolts, don't reuse them. They do stretch a bit from the angle torque.

M3 Euro LTW
08-29-2007, 11:06 AM
He nailed it.

(I do re-use the Torx bolts on the gearbox to engine, and I think he probably does too...unless the heads are worn from mistakes or impact use or something)