PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here use Autoenginuity with the BMW enhancements?

roberttran
08-16-2007, 02:12 PM
I just purchased Autoenginuity /w the BMW enhancements and software version 5.2

I'm running it on a fresh install of windows xp and it seems really buggy. screens and popups lock up, doesn't always connect, freezes a lot. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, is there any reason why everything is separated into "systems". If i want to go from engine management to cruise control, I have to change over to the cruise control module.

And how do I reset oil service intervals on the thing? There isn't a BMW specific manual for it to point out BMW specific parts of the software.

gar777
08-19-2007, 08:45 PM
bump. I'm thinking about getting one of these Autoenginuity readers but these problems are causing some concern. anyone with experience with this unit?

Deter
08-20-2007, 03:40 PM
I bought the Autoenginuity w. BMW enhancement ca. 2month ago and installed it on my brand new Toshiba Windows VISTA pc. I got not any software/ PC related problems, no freezing or whatever- 0 problems!
The only problem i got was that I could not establish a connection via OBD connector on my 2001 Z3.
Regarding this problems i sent a e-mail to Autoenginuity and this guys where outstanding helpful, they responded within hours!( my car is a 2001 Z3 but i had to use the round connector at the engine bay like for the pre 2000 models!
Also it works perfect on my 2000 740iL!
To reset the oil and maintenance lamps took my while to figure out but it is very easy- i will check it and write again when i am at home!
The only disadventage in my opinion is that it goes maybe not "deep enough" into certain functions like module programming.
The Autoenginuity guys sent me a message that within the next month they will do many improvements for the BMW software! Will see!
Would i buy it again? Definately YES!!!!
However, i am looking arround to find a system what works some steps above the Autoenginuity like maybe the Ediabas system!
Once i boughthe carsoft (copy) for my Mercedes and was very dissapointed! It never worked with my Vista PC!

Jay Horak
08-20-2007, 11:40 PM
You'd have to help us out. I have never seen a screen lock up in 12 months of working with BMW yet. Maybe support can help resolve any issues. But yes, popups are part of our and most software. We do that to prevent support calls when normal operations seem unordinary. Like a system with no sensors. Customers call and ask wehre the sensors are--there is none so we just save us both time.

The reason it's broken up into systems is a question for BMW. That's how they created their systems. Ford put TCM and PCM together put few did that. Most make a controller support one thing so it can be swapped out. They are on different pins and support different electrical protocols. So that's the way it works. If you used the factory tool for 12K+ you'd find that we did a far better job of allowing you to view single sensors. Because even there sensors are grouped you can't watch individual groups of your choice. Much more clumsy.

Like all BMWs, the service support is in the Instrument cluster.

I hope that helps.

Deter
08-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Resetting The Oil Service Intervals:
Do Vehicle Selection, Choose: Instrument Cluster
Click On The Little Highlighted Arrow On Top Of The Menue, Next Right To The "not" Highlighted "playback Speed) And Activate
"actuation".
The Actuation Menue Pops Up And Here You Can Select "reset Oil Service" Or "reset Service Inspection" And Many Things More!

gar777
08-21-2007, 11:54 AM
Is that the menu that lets you reset the airbag/SRS light as well?

roberttran
08-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Something else just happened yesterday. My ABS and ASC lights are on now. I'm pretty sure ABS and ASC don't work. The code reader shows up no codes

fmzip
09-03-2007, 11:10 PM
How much did the entire software package cost?

gar777
09-04-2007, 03:26 AM
How much did the entire software package cost?
$432 from:
http://www.bimmerzone.com/OBD2_Scan_Tool.htm

cost effective if you can save 4 (or fewer) trips to the dealer

philfausz
09-04-2007, 10:19 PM
I bought the main program and the modules for BMW, Ford, and Toyota. I've had it for over six months and I've never had any software glitches or errors.

It worked great for the one time I used it on the Toyota to diagnose a "service engine soon" light. 15 minutes later, problem solved and light reset. That was about 20k ago.

For the BMW, I haven't spent much time, but I've been unsuccessful in getting to the specific areas of interest. Again, I've only spent a few minutes with the tool.

For the Ford, my parents truck was experiencing issues with the cruise not coming on. We tried to diagnose it, spent over an hour driving with the software running and never got anywhere.

Phil
1998 BMW M3

What I believe the software needs is a good manual. I'm a software developer by trade, but not familiar with this type of diagnosis on cars. I'm sure that with time I could (and will) figure it out, it's just tough finding that time. I should also point out that I have yet to contact the company for assistance.

We should put together an FAQ here b/c there are quite a few folks using this tool and many of us use it for more than just our BMW's.

I'll check back in a week or so and maybe set aside some time to experiment. Good luck.

M5Fan
09-14-2007, 03:40 PM
I purchased the software over 2 years ago with the Ford, GM, and Toyota enhanced interfaces. Tool never gave me any issues and worked flawlessly to both diagnose and repair my GM and Toyota. In fact, found issues the dealer did not and allowed me to get money back from the Toyota dealer on their bad diagnosis.

Added the BMW interface about 6 months after it came out. I was very excited but found out that because I have an '00 M5 it can not connect as OBDII and therefore many of my sensors (OBD) can not be read. Does read codes and clears but no diag. Answer from vendor is that my year/car/production date is not OBD compliant and that they have done everthing they can. It appears that BMW has done something different with the DME on this car.

All other options work through the 20 pin connector. It would be nice if it could go deeper into the info on the modules but it does control them and allow you to diagnose issues.

Looking for more on coding and of course diagnosis of the emissions related components.

I would recommend this tool to anyone. Just check with the vendor to ensure it will work for your model/year so you know what you are getting.

scorpio1066
09-17-2007, 03:33 AM
- BMW M3 evo 1997 (UK-S50B32-engine)

- I have the 5.2 version of AutoEnginuity software (latest version) plus BMW enhancement module -
- no issues to date and im very happy with it

- i run this on a laptop with windows vista too. 1.8 gighz processor - 1024meg ram.

sometimes have to cylce ingition key to connect - but thats decsribed in manual so not an issue

- as for slow monitoring - depends on how many sensors you are viewing
- more sensors selected will slow down the sampling and possibly freeze

- manual also describes only selecting up to 4-6 sensors for real time monitoring for this purpose.

- its really (if not the best) in the top two for dianostic software

- after extensive googling and research i purchased mine from gedan - they have a site - google it.

comes with everything you need to hook up and go.