PDA

View Full Version : Oil feed port in cyl. head

liquidtension
08-08-2007, 06:00 AM
There is an oil port blocked with a hex bolt in the cylinder head, above the exhaust manifold cyl number ~3, can i tap into it for oil feed for the turbos ? or will i risk starving the valvetrain from oil and having premature cam wear or something ?
thanks

liquidtension
08-08-2007, 01:31 PM
nobody knows ? :confused

M3 Euro LTW
08-08-2007, 02:15 PM
I'd guess this is not a wise gamble.

By the time the passages are at the cylinder head, there is probably a flow rate engineered into the diameter that doesn't account for splitting the flow into another direction.

I'd be more comfortable using one of the similar plugs on the filter housing, tapping that, and running a hose around to the other side.

In the section on my home-brew dry sump set up, I believe you can see a photo that shows how this can be tapped, and where it is on the filter housing. In my race car, I use a port like that to monitor oil pressure currently, since I abandoned the dry sump set up.

It is safer to run a hose to a remote oil pressure VDO style can sensor than risk screwing the sensor in, by a "hard mount" fashion.

Its at ABLOriginalParts.com ..... dry sump section (knew I kept it up for a reason!)

liquidtension
08-08-2007, 05:50 PM
then i will tap the filter housing i guess, thanks