PDA

View Full Version : M52 block with M50 non vanos head?

hybridbmw
07-18-2007, 10:52 AM
I have access to a M52 block and ive read somewhere on here that you can use it with the non vanos head. Has anyone ever done this? I'm looking to go FI and would like to keep my non vanos head since from what i hear its better for boost, plus the added benefit of not having to source dme, harness, and MAF.

techno550
07-18-2007, 11:38 AM
is your car a 92? I can understand trying to reuse parts for cost reasons if you already have it, the harness, and the ECU in the car.

The NV head isn't terribly different from the vanos head other than:
- bigger valve stems (less flow)
- double valve springs (more energy loss)
- a more agressive intake cam
- a less agressive exhaust cam (exhaust cam is extremely important on a FI motor)
- no vanos.

hybridbmw
07-18-2007, 03:37 PM
Yes, the car is a 92 so it would be alot cheaper to reuse my old head. I have a M52 laying around that needs rods so im considering rebuilding the M52 block and my non vanos head to make a hybrid of sorts.

I may just save up and go OBD1 M52. I also have a set of S52 cams so i may just go that route.

beamerboy182
07-29-2007, 11:15 PM
using the m50 non vanos head makes way more since... and the dual valve springs being a bad thing.... does not make any since at all, the reason why they say that motor reves so good is because of the dual valve springs...

techno550
07-30-2007, 01:31 AM
using the m50 non vanos head makes way more since... and the dual valve springs being a bad thing.... does not make any since at all, the reason why they say that motor reves so good is because of the dual valve springs...

valve springs do two things. They close the valves... and they resist them opening.

Ideally you want them as soft as possible without having the valves float before the engine redline. Stiffer than that and you have more resistance than is needed and you just make less power. (it takes power from the engine to open the valves, power that is not regained in any way.)