PDA

View Full Version : The 318ti / M3 OBD-II engine swap manual

tiMASTER
07-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Here you go, guys.

I am a long time member on the 318ti(dot)org web site, and thought you guys over here might be interested in my swap manual.

I have had several requests for information on my manual lately (the M3's are getting cheaper too it seems...) and I figured this was the easiest way to tell everyone what they want to know and how to get one.

First, if all you want to do is get one, follow these instructions:

Log in to www(dot)paypal(dot)com and send $65.00 (if you are within the USA) to my PayPal account >jim(dot)leach(at)sulzer(dot)com< and I will ship your serialized manual to your PayPal shipping address as soon as possible (typically the same day I receive payment). That's it. Easy eh? If you are outside the USA, please e-mail me first for a shipping quote.

Now the details on the manual, for those on the fence:
It is currently 90 pages long
It cannot be sent as a 'pdf file, as I then have no control over those less than honorable out there. (yes, it is copyrighted)
It covers the entire swap from start to finish
it has a section which has a list of the parts needed Dependant on the donor engine used (i.e. the differences between M roadster / M coupe engines and those from the M3) so you can have all the parts you will need on-hand before you start, and avoid the learning curve I went through.
it is loaded with several photos detailing things that are not clear in the text
there are several pages of ti and swapped ti specific part numbers, (including several that will not show in your local dealer part network)
I have sold several copies over the past years, and everyone who has received it has commented that is was very helpful, and informative. Everyone gets something out of it...
Now granted I am an experienced mechanic, however I was able to remove, replace and drive within a long week (Friday evening to a week from Sunday evening). [3 days of that was at the dealer.]
The dealer is needed for OBD-II swaps There is no (practical) way around this (1996-up models) [I do not condone EWS by-pass on street driven cars]
The manual is equally useful for OBD-I swaps; however the dealer is not needed. (early 1995 models)
When I wrote the manual (doing my swap) there was no other source for an OBD-II swap manual. There were several OBD-I options out there (and those sold for a lot more than $65.00...).
I will be happy to answer specific questions; however please read this first, as I think I have covered the main points...

Thanks for your attention, and have fun out there!

alexw
07-29-2007, 09:52 AM
I have this and its very complete. Sadly I just haven't purchased a Ti yet.. ;)

tiMASTER
01-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Glad you found it helpful, Alex!

I have been working on it and it is better than ever!

Slight price increase, but tons more info / photos!

cdzurik83
01-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Can you tell me if your manual would be of help to me. I have a E21 I want to swap a 2.8L M52 OBD2 out of a 2000 Z3 into. I have the engine and wiring harness and most all of the chassis wiring harness. I am unfamiliar with the OBD2 system and the challenges of swapping a motor equiped with it. I have most of the parts for an OBD1 swap, but would like to initially use the OBD2 if possible to keep the variables involved in my swap to a minimum.

Thanks,Chris

Mark185
02-05-2009, 11:39 PM
cdzurik83, the OBDII DME is supposed to be linked to the stability control, anti-lock brakes, gauge cluster, and transmission if automatic. None of these modules will be on your E21 and I strongly suspect the DME will not handle the absence of one or more of these modules it is supposed to communicate with. I don't have experience with a 2000 OBDII system and can't say for sure.

What will definitely work is to follow what the E30 and E34 swappers have done. Convert it to OBD I. You will need an OBD I harness and ECU and the ECU will need a customized chip. TRM sells one and I believe Turner does also. You will also need the fuel rail and injectors, mass air flow meter and intake manifold from an OBD I car. I am guessing this will add about $1500.00 to the cost of your project but it will work. The cost will be less if you are good at scrounging for used parts. The up side is the 2.8 responds well to OBD I conversion. You can expect to gain at least 20-30 HP at the top end.

There were some excellent posts on the E34 forum over a year ago that described this process in detail for swapping an S52 engine. Your proposed swap is similar in scope. Search for posts by Attack Eagle to learn more.

If you are thinking of doing this, I am pretty sure the guys at Zionsville Autosport can help you out with parts and advice. I have no connection to Zionsville other that the fact I purchased an S52 motor from them over a year ago and was happy with result.

spinny5
07-05-2010, 11:39 AM
If you are still selling the guides i would love to buy one. I have gathered most of the parts needed, but the guide would be great to have.

Garage5
11-01-2011, 03:06 AM
You got a pm/email.

sleeps41
02-09-2013, 02:42 AM
Want to know if your manual is still available? Thank you.

ryeland
02-09-2013, 11:39 PM
I've seen your manual advertized all over 318ti.org and now here on bimmerforums. I know a ton of people are using it and there are overwhelmingly positive opinions regarding its quality and informativeness. I also know that you have put a ton of time into it and made several revisions to ensure that its as good as it can be. For that I thank you. Despite all of this, I have to finally say that I have a huge problem with you trying to sell this information to the BMW community. We are supposed to be a community in support of one another with a shared enthusiast point of view and information pool. After all, isn't that the point of a BMW forum and community? Yet, you feel justified in charging for your swap manual, and at a price more than you can actually buy a full Bentley Manual. You are compiling information and nothing more, you're not creating a product. I truly commend your entrepreneurship, but I feel that you are taking advantage of this community more than you are contributing to it. At the very least I hope that bimmerforums.com requires you to pay a vendor advertizing fee.

I'm no expert but I have done a Ti 6cyl swap. If anyone has any questions I'm happy to HELP in any way I can. The only possible complications I see from swap to swap are with wiring. That is pretty easily figured out with a little studying. Shoot me a PM maybe I can help.

bimmerdrift5196
02-06-2014, 10:09 PM
ok so i have a 98 318ti and im looking to do an m3 swap does your swap guide cover everything from wiring harness motor mounts tranny and rear end? ive done alot of swaps but never one on a bmw and im not realy sure where to start it seems like theres alot of walls you have to get around to make everything work

mabm
02-17-2014, 09:16 AM
Hello Jim, how much that will cost the shipping to France for your manual and should i use paypal to pay for abroad ?

D3min808
03-21-2017, 11:58 PM
Are these manuals still up for purchase