PDA

View Full Version : Would I significantly compromise the cooling capacity of the euro rad if...?

BSH
06-21-2007, 12:14 AM
...I used this paint on the side that is visible through the kidney grills?

BSH
06-21-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm deleting the AC system so I'm also removing the front aux fan. The radiator will be fully exposed from the front side.

I've seen pics of a LTW M3 where the silver rad is visible along with the black support brace. I'd prefer to have it all black but I fear this will compromise the cooling function of the rad.

What do you guys think?

Thadose
06-21-2007, 01:02 AM
i would say it wont hurt at all.. plus u will be having even more air geting to the rad since its more direct.(nothing in front of it)

i ordered the alpha N eh. he had one set let :)

Philip A
06-21-2007, 01:58 AM
Er AFAIK black paint enhances the transfer of heat from a radiator.
Regard s Philip A

synkro
06-21-2007, 02:09 AM
I'm deleting the AC system so I'm also removing the front aux fan. The radiator will be fully exposed from the front side.

I've seen pics of a LTW M3 where the silver rad is visible along with the black support brace. I'd prefer to have it all black but I fear this will compromise the cooling function of the rad.

What do you guys think?

why won't you keep the aux fan, and make it a emergency cooling system :) ?

I'm deleting the AC also, but I guess that I will keep the aux fan, and maybe get a swicth for it, and use it on very hot days in traffic.

BSH
06-21-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm going to replace the viscous fan with a SPAL puller fan. This isn't a daily driver and it doesn't get too hot here so I'm confident a puller fan is all I need.

jvit27
06-21-2007, 02:28 PM
That paint looks like it is intended for the end tanks, not the core. You'd be better off having it anodized IMO.

BSH
06-21-2007, 02:28 PM
Yea, that's a better option.

madspeed
06-21-2007, 02:39 PM
that paint shouldnt compromise cooling. I have a puller fan and it works perfectly even with the A/C on.

GazM3
06-22-2007, 07:18 AM
Er AFAIK black paint enhances the transfer of heat from a radiator.
Regard s Philip A

+1:)

JamesM3M5
06-22-2007, 08:53 AM
But I think the Eastwood stuff is a semi-gloss for that old-timey look. You can use simple flat black Rustoleum Professional (in the silver shiny cans) from Home Depot/Lowes. Make sure it's a new rad or at least as clean as you can get it with detergent and then a solvent.

One other tip is to put some stainless steel mesh in front of the radiator if you take out all the AC parts, since now it's going to be suceptible to rock damage. Check out Pegasus Racing's online catalog for the good stuff.