PDA

View Full Version : Legal tint in California?

LLuke
02-22-2003, 12:47 AM
What is the legal limit in Cali? 35% all the way around?

segal3
02-22-2003, 12:49 AM
35% on back window, and the two side rear windows. Front window = no tint, driver and passenger windows = no tint. "Legally"

~Matt Segal

LLuke
02-22-2003, 02:28 AM
Thanks bro. The no front side window tint rule is rough!

BMW325i
02-22-2003, 03:08 AM
California law is really tough on tint for some reason. Like Matt said, not tinting the front window and you won't have a problem. However cops tend to every once and a while pull someone over for it, my mom got pulled over for it. I guess its just the luck of the draw. Check out Jim's website for a legal way to tint your front windows.

Jeffrey

segal3
02-22-2003, 03:14 AM
My mom has all windows except front windshield tinted on her new 745i...no tickets or anything even though its dark...her car is titanium grey though, so it blends and not as noticeable

~Matt Segal

///DavidC
02-22-2003, 11:57 AM
You can get a very slight tint on the front side windows legally in CA with a note from your doctor, something about light sensitivity. I don't think it is worth it but recently saw someone's website where they mentioned that they had done just that.

Like cars without front plates, I see illegally-tinted windows by the dozen every day. I think it's a matter of taking your chances if you really feel you want that tinting for some reason. The real risk I see is getting a '"fix it" ticket, where to get the ticket signed-off you have to show that the problem has been corrected, and that could be a big deal with tinting.

Fortunately, I don't feel the need for that tinting so I don't have to woory about it. Now my lack of a front plate is another story. :)

MaaadNYCe
02-22-2003, 01:36 PM
5% on the back 3 windows is legal in Cali. How do I know this? I got pulled over a few years ago when I owned a heavily modified japanese car and the two front windows were not tinted while the back 3 were limo'd out. the cop asked me to roll up the front windows and then told me the rear tint is fine.
In a BMW, unless you're out at 2am looking for street-races on a Saturday nite, you generally won't get pulled over for stupid shit like that.
[I have 20% Smoke Tint all the way around]
But now that I think about it, Officers in Carlsbad are pretty leniant!

SilverBeam
02-22-2003, 02:37 PM
I went to this guy for tinting, and he said that he had this tint that was legal all the way around. It was dark tint too, I don't remember the rating though. He showed me some papers that said that the tint was legal, and said that if I ever got pulled over with the tint, that I could show the cops that and that it would be okay. Do you think he was giving me a bunch of bs, or could this possibly be the miracle tint we've all been wishing for?

SilverBeam
02-22-2003, 02:39 PM
They don't give Fix it tickets anymore for tint. I think it's a 70 dollar fine now. The tint guy also told me that. One reason why I think he wasn't bull shitting me. I have his card somewhere if anyone is interested.

segal3
02-22-2003, 07:28 PM
Everything except what I said is bs. If you really want I can find it in the vehicle code for you.

~Matt Segal

///DavidC
02-22-2003, 11:32 PM
CA DMV Code 26708(a): (10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

So that seems to fit the 35% (max as listed in the DMV code, just as segal3 said) but you apparently wouldn't be legal after dark with permanent tinting even with the appropriate letter.

Jim Powell's website has an example of the physician's letter: http://www.apexcone.com/TechProcedures/LegalTint.jpg

VoltesV
02-23-2003, 12:56 AM
Yes, even with a letter, you cannot have the windows tinted in the front during darkness. Also, the code goes on to say that it must be readily and easily removable, which a permanently tinted window certainly is not. Still, you might have some luck with a letter like Jim's.

SilverBeam
02-23-2003, 01:16 AM
Alright, let's say I go with this tint guy, and he was bull shitting me. I get pulled over and I get a ticket. What is keeping me from not removing the tint? Will the cops check up on me if I don't remove the tint, or could I take the ticket, not remove the tint, and have no more trouble?

BMW325i
02-23-2003, 01:18 AM
I have heard several people mention that tinting the front window is still illegal but instead of a fix it ticket, you are just assessed a fine. What truth is there to this and does anyone have more info on this?

Jeffrey

shragon
02-23-2003, 06:30 PM
from what i read before, 3 rear windows there is no limit.

the two front windows however is limited to something like 90%, which is hardly anything.

speshuled619
02-24-2003, 01:45 PM
hey maaad i saw your ride in the s.d. autotrader. why are you selling yout ride? whatcha got planned?

Originally posted by MaaadNYCe
5% on the back 3 windows is legal in Cali. How do I know this? I got pulled over a few years ago when I owned a heavily modified japanese car and the two front windows were not tinted while the back 3 were limo'd out. the cop asked me to roll up the front windows and then told me the rear tint is fine.
In a BMW, unless you're out at 2am looking for street-races on a Saturday nite, you generally won't get pulled over for stupid shit like that.
[I have 20% Smoke Tint all the way around]
But now that I think about it, Officers in Carlsbad are pretty leniant!

Balthazarr
02-25-2003, 03:30 AM
I have all windows tinted save for the windshield.

Doesn't seem to garner much attention.

I need the tint because the heat is unbearable in the summer without.

:cool:

luckistryke
02-28-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by shragon
from what i read before, 3 rear windows there is no limit.

the two front windows however is limited to something like 90%, which is hardly anything.

the rear 3 or back 5 window, you can tint it limo or put curtains on it they dont care, just as long as you have 2 side mirrors.....as for the two fronts, 85% is the max in cali......Llumar UVShield is legal for cali....

MCorpse
02-28-2003, 01:23 PM
Can anybody recommend a good tint shop in the south bay area/ San Jose area? I'm thinking of getting it done, for this summer.. I personally think having limo tint on your rear windows and having your driver windows clear as day is ugly as hell (even moreso on an M3), so I want to get just a dim tint to help keep the heat out.

I think it'd be easier to pay a $70 fine for tint instead of the fix it ticket and having to peel it off.. paying the dough sucks, but what are you going to do.. same with front plate - I read somewhere that it's a fine, not a fix-it ticket.

CABimmer
02-28-2003, 01:28 PM
I had them done on my 328i back window-Dark, rear doors- Med, and the front doors light. I never got pulled over in 4 years.

shragon
02-28-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by luckistryke
the rear 3 or back 5 window, you can tint it limo or put curtains on it they dont care, just as long as you have 2 side mirrors.....as for the two fronts, 85% is the max in cali......Llumar UVShield is legal for cali....

yep, that's pretty much what i heard. you can even paint your rear windows if you want, as long as you have the two side mirrors.

Originally posted by MCorpse
Can anybody recommend a good tint shop in the south bay area/ San Jose area? I'm thinking of getting it done, for this summer.. I personally think having limo tint on your rear windows and having your driver windows clear as day is ugly as hell (even moreso on an M3), so I want to get just a dim tint to help keep the heat out.

I think it'd be easier to pay a $70 fine for tint instead of the fix it ticket and having to peel it off.. paying the dough sucks, but what are you going to do.. same with front plate - I read somewhere that it's a fine, not a fix-it ticket.

from what people have told me at local bimmer meets and message boards, california tint in campbell does awesome work. that's where i'm planning to take mine. i also want to tint mine before summer rolls around to keep some of the heat out.

luckistryke
02-28-2003, 10:41 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MCorpse
[B]Can anybody recommend a good tint shop in the south bay area/ San Jose area? I'm thinking of getting it done, for this summer.. I personally think having limo tint on your rear windows and having your driver windows clear as day is ugly as hell (even moreso on an M3), so I want to get just a dim tint to help keep the heat out.

Omega Tintwerks in Livermore, we do lots of local dealership work and CARCLUBS FORUMS (G35, 350Z, Mini, I-Club, BMW.....) give us a call and ask for the ClubCar discount

925.606.7168 Work 9-5
888.68.OMEGA
510.421.8224 Cell

Omega TintWerks
2169 Las Positas Ct. Suite D
Livermore, Ca 94551

East 580, EXIT N. LIVERMORE
Right off freeway exit/across the street from IN&OUT Burger/Walmart

SilverBeam
03-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Legal tint is officially 95% in front and anything you want on the back. I got mine tinted yesterday, so I'm positive of this.

Who cares if it's legal though? I have 15% rear and 35% front. Because of the black interior, it looks more like 10 and 25.

On the two tone effect: before I got mine, I was anti two levels of tint. But then, I went and the guy broke down to me what the fines are like, and I was warned that looking out of limo tint is not easy. So I went with med on front and dark on back, and I think it looks awesome. Because I have such a large car, it has the limo effect going for it. Plus, in Cali, you need all the leeway you can get against the law.