PDA

View Full Version : oil catch can

morerevsm3
06-14-2007, 11:25 AM
half way through doing custom catch can, thought I would post some pics for those that are interested, top arrow shows where hose will come from (cyclone seperator) to catch can, then another hose goes from catch can to underside of plenum. bottom arrow shows (just) small hose that comes from bottom of plenum and goes through a 'Y' piece to combine with hose from bottom of cyclone seperator into sump, I am adding another tee piece to this, for the oil from catch can to go back into sump

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/morerevsm3/miscellaneous/Picture537A.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/morerevsm3/miscellaneous/Picture539.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/morerevsm3/miscellaneous/Picture538.jpg

Razziel24
06-14-2007, 07:19 PM
interesting, nice pics !!!

BSH
06-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks for sharing. Let us know if it resolves your "oil-in-the-plenum" issue.

byl
06-16-2007, 10:32 AM
subscribed

M3 Euro LTW
06-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Was the original intent to put a small K&N filter on the top section of the can to vent to atmosphere instead of back into the plenum?

I assume you're planning on the upper large diameter opening to go back to the plenum? Are there internal baffles there to help de-mist the vapor, or, is it an empty box?

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_10001_10002_10475_-1_10469

I'm not sure the link will work, but there are several aftermarket inexpensive baffled items that work well for this chore.

I'll try and post a photo of my engine compartment, they're easy to put in.

Alex.

morerevsm3
06-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Was the original intent to put a small K&N filter on the top section of the can to vent to atmosphere instead of back into the plenum?

I assume you're planning on the upper large diameter opening to go back to the plenum? Are there internal baffles there to help de-mist the vapor, or, is it an empty box?

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_10001_10002_10475_-1_10469

I'm not sure the link will work, but there are several aftermarket inexpensive baffled items that work well for this chore.

I'll try and post a photo of my engine compartment, they're easy to put in.

Alex.
no intention of filter, fitting that goes to plenum has pipe attached inside that sits at the top, so baffles not needed, as you can see, I have very little room, and local track rules say catch can should have 1 litre capacity per litre of engine capacity, so custom was only option.

spent all weekend at racetrack, running constantly up to 8000rpm, no smoke or oil running out the airfilter like before, so is a success. the M3R's actually have a restrictor to slow oil flow to top end of the engine, they don't have problem filling plenum with high revs, so I believe our problem is more oil going to top of engine than the amount that can drain back to sump, the recirculating catch can seems to be solving the problem though

BSH
06-17-2007, 10:23 AM
...spent all weekend at racetrack, running constantly up to 8000rpm, no smoke or oil running out the airfilter like before, so is a success...I'm glad to hear it all worked out for you.

...the M3R's actually have a restrictor to slow oil flow to top end of the engine, they don't have problem filling plenum with high revs, so I believe our problem is more oil going to top of engine than the amount that can drain back to sump, the recirculating catch can seems to be solving the problem thoughDo you have a p/n for the M3R restrictor?

morerevsm3
06-17-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm glad to hear it all worked out for you.

Do you have a p/n for the M3R restrictor?

still trying to get the p/no, I have been told of a dealer who stocks them here for race guys though, will eventually get to the bottom of it

BSH
06-17-2007, 10:34 AM
still trying to get the p/no, I have been told of a dealer who stocks them here for race guys though, will eventually get to the bottom of itIt's probably listed in the Group A or N catalog. I'll have to search for it.

OT - what are your impressions of the S54 crank pulley?

morerevsm3
06-18-2007, 07:11 AM
It's probably listed in the Group A or N catalog. I'll have to search for it.

OT - what are your impressions of the S54 crank pulley?

can't say any noticeable improvement, but if it adds 5 hp to ~300dynojet hp it is not going to be that noticable anyway

BSH
06-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Here is the p/n I found for the oil restrictor set: 11-12-1-415-562 MSRP $141.00

byl
06-18-2007, 01:30 PM
r u sure of the # cause it doesn't show on realoem.

BSH
06-18-2007, 03:14 PM
r u sure of the # cause it doesn't show on realoem.It's a Group N part. That's why it's not in realoem.

byl
06-19-2007, 02:34 AM
ok!

Espenaskeladd
04-19-2013, 03:30 AM
Hello.... I`m doing the same as you and i wonder if it is necessary to keep the oil drain from bottom of plenum. I am thinking that the steam from catch can is free from oil particles, or am i thinking wrong. It would be great to not have to drill and tap hole in my carbon intake.
If so would i perhaps go for a catch can of high quality?