PDA

View Full Version : Having an E30 M3 motor put in an E36 318..

runetang[1337]
06-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Has anyone ever done this? I've dreamt and dreamt of having an E30 M3 4cyl motor built up to 2.5 liters, the build that nets around 200rwhp? Then having it put into an E36. Oh Yeah. I was just thinking again of how awesome that would be in an E36. Even though it's an older motor than the car would be, the motor would be way better than the 318's stock motor, and arguably better than the M50/M52. I know if i could have my choice between the two for free Id go with that over the M52. anyways..

I know these motors are pretty rare and thus expensive when you actually do find one. I also know this probably isn't done much at all, so I'd theoreticly be paying quite a bit in labor costs to have this done. The reason I say 318, instead of 325 or 328, is because i thought at the least that the 4cyl E36's electrical stuff such as wiring harness, DME, as well as the exhaust piping, and the suspension would all be from a 4cyl, designed for a 4cyl. I don't know how much this would matter when putting an E30 M3 motor in however, considering it is from the previous generation of 3 series.

Also, does anyone know if the transmission would work? Certainly some E30 M3 guys have swapped E36 M3 transmissions into their car before, somewhere, sometime, that somebody remembers? lol. But i bet its rare to find that as well, because most E30 M3 with an E36 tranny has an E36 motor in it as well, not the stock motor.

Anyways, if anyone has any information on this it would be mucho appreciated. I'd like to read anything you know of out there on the web, or anything you know from personal experience.

E36LUVA
06-13-2007, 12:53 PM
It would be a cool swap but the 2.5 Evo motor is way expensive and the end result wouldn't be much better than an M50 swap but to each his own. There is a member from South Africa on here who built up his M42 that was bad ass which is another option.

E36LUVA
06-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Here is the link.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433471&highlight=m42