PDA

View Full Version : 1990 325i.... looking for suggestions

JPStrniste
06-12-2007, 08:51 PM
I recently purchased a 1990 325i with no motor but with auto tranny. With the car, i also purchased an '89 325is front and rear end (complete with springs and brakes).

My original intent was to swap in my 86 2.7 eta motor and 5spd tranny, swap an "i" cam and Computer and eventually put in a single turbo system. But after doing much research and talking to different people, i've decided to scrap that idea and go with a newer motor and tranny swap into the project car.

I'm looking for additional ideas from other BMW enthusiasts about what to do. I haven't come up with an exact budget for the build, but if i had to throw a number on it, i'd say $3500 - $4000. The cars exterior and interior are in exceptional shape. The car came from down south somewhere and has only seen one winter in New England.

The point I'm at now is...
I've removed auto tranny and shifter, degreased and powerwashed engine bay and trans tunnel, degreased and powerwashed car's front and rear end, degreased and powerwashed 325is front and rear ends (on jack stands), washed and waxed exterior. Car is currently sitting in a covered car port, under a soft car cover.

What I want from the car: Has to be 5spd (or 6spd, wink wink). I want a great "sleeper" car that would give a corvette a good run for its money.

Any advice and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Look forward to hearing from you guys. Thanks

- Jason

JPStrniste
06-12-2007, 08:54 PM
I forgot to mention....

I also don't care about power steering or air conditioning. I would like to get the most out of the car as possible.
The car is going to be a toy only, not a daily driver and definetly not driven in the winter...

FredK
06-12-2007, 09:03 PM
How much fabrication capability do you have? I'd be half tempted to try an LS1/2 swap eventually, just for kicks.

If your budget is $4k, you could do a super budget S50US swap. Meaning you'd have to scrounge around for parts as cheaply as possible, and you might have to install a higher mileage S50.

JPStrniste
06-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Fabrication wouldn't be a problem. The last toy was an offroad jeep and that required heavy modification. I'm not afraid of welding and tuning. I have a few friends that work at a dyno shop up the street and would be help me if i ran into any problems along the way

A friend of mine is a BMW Mechanic and i've been talking to him about different possibilities for the car. I had looked at the LS1 swap but i think that's a little more than i want to get into. I guess I want to stay true to the BMW name and keep a BMW motor in the car, too. Dont' get me wrong, going fast is def something i'm looking for, but i want to keep it all one type of car.

I've been looking for an e36 M3 motor or e39 motor. If i were to do a v8, i'd like to do a e34 530i or 540i motor with a 6spd. That would be the ideal swap...

FredK
06-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Well, the BMW V8 would require fab, the E36 M3 engine would not. It is pretty much drop and go. Seeing as how you've already removed the drivetrain, the swap would be pretty darn easy.

JPStrniste
06-13-2007, 08:34 PM
I spent part of the day looking today for an M3 motor and found some anywhere from $2000 to $5500. What would be a reasonable price for an M3 motor with around 100k miles? How about the tranny?

FredK
06-13-2007, 09:13 PM
A good price to pay for a 1995 M3 engine with the harness at a salvage yard is around $2300 - 2500, but it won't come with an alternator, starter, or power steering pump, usually.

The ZF 310/320 transmission goes for around $350 to 450 at a salvage yard.

See if you can get your hands on a freshly wrecked car, and ask for the engine/trans together. That way you won't have to source stuff like the trans/engine metal gasket, or a flywheel, because these things add up.

JPStrniste
06-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out.

oddis
06-14-2007, 08:57 PM
S50 Euro or S38.