PDA

View Full Version : pre purchase inspection in so cal

El Nino
02-12-2003, 02:03 AM
Hey guys, Im going to be buying my first bmw within a week or two if everything works out. I cant wait, the m3 is so nice.

Anyways, i need to have it inspected before i buy it, but i need a recommendation of aplace to do the inspection in the Irvine area (thats where the owner lives, Im actually up by downtown la). I just go to school here and dont know any mechanics so if you guys could point me in the right direction id appreciate it. Should it be a bmw certified mechanic or what? I asked teh owner about taking it to the dealer and he said they would just charge me through the ass and I should find a cheaper place if i could. So if you guys have good experiences with certain mechanics in the area let me know. Thanks alot and hopefully I could make it to the next get together once i get my m3
:D

Mikeini
02-12-2003, 03:27 AM
i know Monaco Motors in Canoga Parkdoes an inspection. and its maticulous! when we bought our car, they did everything covered everything from engine, shocks, brakes, etc. to hook shocks (which happened to be weak), etc. good place. it was like 160 or something like that.

its in teh san fernado valley, but its a good place to get it looked at (and even worked on for that matter).

818-704-1836

addy is:
21311 vanowen St.
Canoga Park, ca, 91303

good luck though! hope this pans out. Where do you go to school?

mike

teenagedirtbag
02-12-2003, 05:27 AM
evosport in orange county is good....they are currentyl working on my car right...gonna get it back later today at 3:00pm and its only 2:28am..i cant even wait anymore

-Anh

Anhnguyen310
02-12-2003, 05:37 AM
that was my post on top my friend didnt log out when he was on my comp

-Anh

Patrokloss
02-12-2003, 12:04 PM
I can't tell you what shop to go to, but I will confirm that the dealer will rip you off horribly. I just went through this last month before I bought my M3... Dealer wanted $450 for a pre-purchase inspection! :eek: Instead I opted for a PPI at an independent BMW shop in San Francisco. Came out to $260 for a three-hour inspection including compression and leak-down tests... Still pricey, but I wouldn't buy any BMW without it. You can probably do it for a bit cheaper, but anywhere below $200 they are going to be cutting corners. ;)

plenoach
02-12-2003, 10:52 PM
La Jolla independent near S.D.- Carl Nelson 858-488-1555

Up in Orange County, Richard Michelangelo 949-770-3322

Both are quite good and reasonably priced.

Don't bother with a dealer.

-Peter

kcbraunschweig
02-12-2003, 11:28 PM
I'm in downtown LA and here are the two places i would (and do) go:

GT International
(John Norris)
221 Colby Ave
(just south of Olympic)
West LA
310-55-4249

Avus Autosport
(Andrew Kahn - owner, David Elias - master tech)
www.avusautosport.com
312 Vine St.
Glendale
818-500-7663

El Nino
02-12-2003, 11:58 PM
Hey thanks for the info guys, ill definitely look into these mechanics when i need service. The current owner of the m3 would like to have it inspected in orange county if possible so ill look into Richard Michelangelo and evosport for the inspection it looks like.

Mikeini: I go to school at USC

m_specs
02-13-2003, 12:35 AM
GO TO BULLET RACING!!! they KNOW theyre shit! its right next to costa mesa.. theyve inspected my car dozens of times.. however, Evosport is a good place too. thats in huntington beach. PM if you have any questions..

ps. my bro goes to usc too.. he drives a tt supra.

TxnBluDvl
03-26-2003, 02:20 AM
This thread is great, but most of the shops are located in the LA area, it seems.

I'm in need of a prepurchase inspection shop that's further south, within driving distance of Escondido, CA. Anybody have any suggestions on good places to go near that area? Thanks in advance!

Note: I have to claim ignorance, I have no idea how far anything is in southern California, haven't been down there yet.

plenoach
03-26-2003, 10:57 AM
La Jolla independent is about 30 miles from Escondido.

-Peter

AgileM3
03-26-2003, 12:01 PM
txn blue devil - check your pms

mcornwell
03-26-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by TxnBluDvl
This thread is great, but most of the shops are located in the LA area, it seems.

I'm in need of a prepurchase inspection shop that's further south, within driving distance of Escondido, CA. Anybody have any suggestions on good places to go near that area? Thanks in advance!

Note: I have to claim ignorance, I have no idea how far anything is in southern California, haven't been down there yet.

Bavarian Mastercare in San Marcos is probably 5 miles from Escondildo, I mean Escondido...

(760)752-5269

-Mike