PDA

View Full Version : G/f picked up the center median in the rain this am

AgileM3
02-11-2003, 04:29 PM
About 5:45 my cell rings - no one ever calls that early, and I instantly knew what happened before she even told me - she crashed teh 540i/6 in the rain. First rain in San Diego in about a month or so, so the highway was slick as hell. Off the phone with her and barreling - I mean barreling - down the highway in the Bronco, hazards going and using the emergency lane. She told me she spun and was stuck headed the wrong way and partially in the lane and could not get 911 to pickup. I made it from Encinitas to her, just south of Mission, in about 8 minutes. She had managed to get the car onto the shoulder and out of harms way by the time I got there.

Headed up the small grade, she said she felt the DSC kick on and off a couple times, so she lifted to slow even more - she was at about 50 or so when the DSC kicked on. When she slowed, the car rotated fast. She 360'd from the second lane, and in the second rotation, kissed the center median with the rear bumper, which slowed her, but she must have twitched the car because the rear corner took the hit - smashed that rear fender up pretty well, but didn't brake the light oddly enough, and scrapped the bumper.

Everytime I see an accident that has just happened I stop and make sure someone's ok. I can't even begin to count how many times I have called for police on an accident if i could not stop. This happened in mild traffic - thank god, it gave her room to spin and not contact anyone - and not a single person stopped to make sure she was ok. At least 15 or 20 cars must have seen her spin. Of course CHP wouldn't come - single car accident, not worth their time - so for a few minutes, she was dazed, just crashed, and sitting in harms way till she got her wits about her and was able to move the car. Keep in mind, she was less than one mile from a CHP station in Oceanside.

When she called and she told me how the car was sitting, partially in traffic and unable - in her mind at the time - to move, I broke every law, cut every individual off I could, as safely as possible, and pushed the Bronco to just under 100 in the rain, hazards going, with me flipping the highs and lows. All I could think was that some drunk or stoned asshole was going to not see her black car partially in the lane and tbone her. Thank God she was able to get it out of harms way.

She only smacked her head - and we had her checked out, and she's fine. If some thing had happened to her, I don't know what I'd do..

But the point of my rant is this- I'd like to thank every self absorbed idiot on the road this morning who saw her spin, contact the wall and land in harms way who didn't take the minute or so to see if she was ok. I'm sure none of you wanted to get wet, or be late to work. Thanks for your concern. I hope you never feel what I felt this morning thinking she was a sitting duck for someone to hit - you don't want to feel what I did this morning.

All of you who drove right past her and didn't even lift off the throttle, your the reason I think this race is doomed. I'll continue to stop when I see an accident because I would hope someone would do the same for me or mine next time but my faith in humanity, of which there was very little, has diminished even more.

And to the CHP, your there for public safety, huh? Right - thanks for coming to her aid ! Your there to right tickets and generate revenue, nothing more. Public safety my ass.

m3j0n
02-11-2003, 04:39 PM
Do you know how many times i have seen cops nonchalantly pass "injured" cars on the road? So many f-ing times it makes me sick to my stomach. The thing is, these fuks are sometimes hired without a high school degree and act in manners that would be fitting for nothing short of an amoeba. Lets just say ALMOST all of my encounters, including those where I had witnessed a situation with a cop from the innocent "third-party point of view," has been negative. Yes, there are good cops out there, and yes, it is a rough job, but seriously... the good cops are very few and far between. Actually, I honestly cant remember when a cop actually helped me out without some sarcastic response. I'm totally with you. I think we should have "our government" reestablish what we should expect from OUR law enforcement. Fuk the PO-PO.........They are just ordinary people...... with Guns... that abuse their power.........Honestly, what percent of Patrol cops, I.e those that drive around (not detectives), even have a college degree..... what... like 10%.... and thats generous.... How about a little less ingnorant law enforcers and a little more education for those dumb shlts...

Just my 0.02
-Jon

shragon
02-11-2003, 05:00 PM
well glad to hear she is alright and sorry about the car.

i know what you mean about stopping. if i see an accident happen, i always stop to see if that person(s) is alright as well if nobody else is there.

the chp i see can be dicks at times. my girlfriend was pulled over on the center divider because she ran over something large and had no idea what it was, and it was stuck under her car. she said as she was waiting for me to get there, a chp car passed by and did nothing. jeeeze, obviously there's somebody inside and they didn't even stop to check if she was ok? even though my girlfriend wasn't in a life threaten situation they should've stop to check. that pissed me off too.

abakos
02-11-2003, 05:45 PM
I am at a loss for words...

However, I'm glad your gf and the E39 came away not much worse off than they were before.

AgileM3
02-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys - just pissed me off soooo much. And yeah, looking back I understand that CHP has to triage calls but she was in a bad spot, and couldn't even get 911 to pick up - it was AAA that got in touch with CHP and told them they would not respond.

Oh well, she's ok, and honestly, that is all that matters. She scared me shitless this morning - I think it took a couple years off my life. She's stiff already but she's ok.

onebadm5
02-12-2003, 11:29 AM
encinitas to mission in 8 minutes? you best even my record, ed!

Serioulsy speaking though, accidents, in the wet or dry are no laughing matter. I always make it a point to offer help because God knows I'd hope that someone would do the same for me if I ever needed it. My GF always gets pissed because I'm usually on my way to something, but to me, being 20 mins late is a small price to pay for helping someone out, and maybe saving a life...

EVOIIIM3
02-12-2003, 11:50 AM
COme on guys, if they stop they will have to write a report out, that will be to hard cuz it's Doughnut time!

Glad you GF is fine, hopefully the car is also.

In defence of the passerby, it has become VERY dangerous to stop and help people out! They get robbed, car jacked, hit by some DUBM ass, etc..

It's really bad, but I do also think twice when I stop to help. Every BMW I see pulled over I have offered to assist. This FREAKES them out also!

ABout the police, I have learned, if they can NOT make $$ on comming out, they will not! My house was broken into, and they told me to call then back if we get over $5000 worth of stuff gone. Oh, buy that time, we went threw so much stuff and picked stuff up, that they could not fingerprint, or really do anything when they did finally show up.

AgileM3
02-14-2003, 11:32 AM
I have some pics of the damage I'll post later tonight or tmmw...

Looks like a whole new rear clip is going in - about four weeks worth of work...but it will look perfect then..

Dark Helmet
02-14-2003, 03:44 PM
I'm glad everything seems to be OK... good luck getting it fixed man.

bmwaznkid
02-16-2003, 03:24 AM
damn, glad ur girl is ok... she must be a keeper... thats too bad chp is like that, up in washington, we were on the side of the road becuase our exhaust fell off, and a cop came and helped us out within 5 minutes.

and on a second note, if u ever see a fellow bmw driver on the side of the road.... which is rare....go and help them out.