PDA

View Full Version : Beware: Monterey, CA. E36 Owners

GQ_Style
02-10-2003, 05:42 PM
I was in Monterey this weekend when I got pulled over by Monterey PD. I had two large SUV's in front of me and a whole line of cars behind me. I was definitely going with the flow of traffic when the red lights turn on. He asks me if I know why I was pulled over. My gf and I are like, "absolute no idea sir". I never even took the car past 3k rpm's. He goes on to tell me that I was pulled over for speeding. How fast you ask? He says he clocked me at 43mph on radar. Wow, that is damn fast considering that stretch of road has a 40mph limit on a clear sunny day. I'm like "what?!?", you're citing me for going 43 in a 40 zone?? He says yup, and then asks where I'm from. I tell him I am from San Francisco and is down by the Monterey Penninsula for a mini vacation and that I was headed back home. He then tells me that unfortunately for me that my car fits the description of another dark e36 that usually speeds down that section of road that he has been unsuccessful at catching for weeks. He asks for my insurance and registration, fortunately for me my insurance papers are expired. He says that he was really gunning for my car when he saw it thinking it was the one that he usually misses. He said he was really homing in on my particular car. He then says he will write me up for no insurnace evidence instead of a speeding ticket. Damn, that sucks, another $10 down the drain for doing nothing wrong. This was in Monterey, CA on the stretch of hwy68 right before it connects to hwy1. Be careful if you own a dark colored e36 when travelling down there, you will probably be pulled over.

AgileM3
02-10-2003, 05:48 PM
last time i checked no insurance is not 10 bucks dude...no evidence of insurance is usually 150 if you can prove at the time of the ticket you were insured, and 1500 if you were not insured at the time of the ticket, but insured by your court apperance.

that was as of a couple years ago - you might want to check..

GQ_Style
02-10-2003, 06:41 PM
I just did check. $100-$200 if you didn't have insurance. $10 if you can prove you actually had it. This is in California, updated for 2003:

Under the mandatory insurance law, all drivers must carry evidence of financial responsibility and must provide that evidence to an officer on request. A driver who fails to provide proof of insurance on request by an officer during a traffic stop is guilty of an infraction. The violation may be dismissed with payment of a $10 fee if the defendant shows proof of insurance that was valid at the time of the violation. On a first conviction, the court must impose a fine of $100 to $200. However, the court may only impose the minimum fine of $100 if the defendant shows proof of insurance acquired since the violation. Penalty assessments are added to the fines.

shragon
02-10-2003, 07:05 PM
dude, that is f-ing gay! stupid pig.

funny thing is, i think some cops don't really look at the insurance very well. last time i was pulled over, i accidently gave him my expired paper, and he just glanced at it and gave it back to me and wrote my speeding ticket. he never really asked me any questions, it was the fastest ticket write up i've ever gotten. beware in sunnyvale, sunnyvale pigs use evelyn between matilda and mary as a ticket factory.

M3Style95
02-10-2003, 10:49 PM
:eek: DUDE THATS PROBABLY ME HE WANTS.....I DRIVE THAT ROAD EVERY DAY TO WORK......I better find a new way to work:mad: was it 68 that connects PG to monterey or was it 68 that goes by the airport?

pikachu
02-11-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by GQ_Style
He says that he was really gunning for my car when he saw it thinking it was the one that he usually misses. He said he was really homing in on my particular car.

what an idiot. how many e36's were manufactured and sold. PLUS, imagine the concentration of e36's around san francisco and monterey. what a dumb azz. another fine example the highly educated elite police force.

yes, just go to court, bring proof of insurance, and pay a small court administration fee.

Patrokloss
02-11-2003, 11:16 AM
1. I find it odd that he asked for your proof of insurance. No law enforcement officer has ever asked me for anything other than license and registration. Definitely sounds like he was out to get you. :(

2. If anyone ever writes you up for exceeding the speed limit by less than 5mph, take it to court. In my (admittedly limited, but still valid) experience, most judges will throw it out, reprimand the officer, and apologize for wasting your time. Cops are supposed to give you a little leeway, and 43 in a 40 zone is NOT leeway--especially when you were going with the flow of traffic. Heck, a lot of speedometers and radar guns aren't even accurate to within 3-4mph! Unless you have an outrageously bad driving record, no one would side with the cop on something like this. Sounds like a rookie to me! :rolleyes:

BGM3
02-11-2003, 03:09 PM
You can also file a complaint against the officer! I hope you have insurance so that you can prove it in court that at the time of the stop you were covered. As for the cop, well these days they hire almost anyone. I'd say there are some cops that arn't that bright (not like the good ol days). Also make sure you question his laser/radar calibration as well as his last mandatory inspection and calibration of his patrol unit.

iwannadinanm3
02-11-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by M3Style95
:eek: DUDE THATS PROBABLY ME HE WANTS.....I DRIVE THAT ROAD EVERY DAY TO WORK......I better find a new way to work:mad: was it 68 that connects PG to monterey or was it 68 that goes by the airport?

:laugh