PDA

View Full Version : V8 Swap into e34?

Ahheck01
05-02-2007, 04:00 PM
I've been looking for a 535i with a 5'speed, then found one that was automatic. I figured I could do a tranny swap... then the thought evolved.

I've heard people use truck motors as a slightly heavier but far less expensive option than the LS1 (simply because it's got an iron block, alum head). This sounds perfect, combined with the T56 6spd. I would think with the extra size, I might also be able to fit in some existing headers?

What do you think the most cost effective swap would be if I were to go get a cheap old 525i automatic?

Thinking most bang for the littlest buck for a complete swap.

Interested in opinions!

-Evan

peter91118
05-02-2007, 04:57 PM
my buddies got a 89' 535im for sale if you wanna come to mass...

Derek 350i
05-04-2007, 10:03 AM
You should really pick a V8 car for your starting point. If you are budget limited maybe a 94/95 530 5 speed. Starting with a V8 car, you already have the brake booster relocation to accomodate the extra width on the drivers side of a V8.

A 540i/6 might be doable too, considering the pullout (especially the trans) is worth good money. It also has the large case diff and larger brakes. By starting with one of these cars, you really make it so all you need to swap is the engine/trans and electronics.

You could also start with a 540i auto and swap in some pedals from a manual donor car. Just some ideas. I have some pics of my 94 525 and my 95 540 if you want to see some details.

You could also look at the all alum 5.3 engines. They still respond well to all of the LSX mods, you just give up a little displacement, but keep the lightweight of an all alum engine. As for headers, it is hard to say. I would think between all of the mid length, + long tubes out there you might get something to work with little effort. Some of the V8 RX7 guys take Mustang headers, cut the flanges off and weld on LS1 flanges and have headers that work for about 300 bux.

D

smiller
05-04-2007, 04:14 PM
Evan; you should check out onegeezersgarage on youtube. there's a link below
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=GeezersGarage

He's doing it and putting it on the web. PLUS, he's just a short hop down the road in MO! (and i'm nearly next door to you)
I've been contemplating the same swap in my 635, bought a spare one just for the swap. gotta make room in the budget and let geezer sort out the krud, then i'm gonna pull the trigger on it.
BMW 657LS1 WOO HOOO!!!

323I Junkie
05-13-2007, 01:01 PM
ive considered the same swap into my e23, already has hydrailic brake booster, etc, it would fit so easily?