PDA

View Full Version : Good San Diego shop for M50 to S50 swap

Croak
02-08-2003, 07:47 AM
I just bought a wrecked '95 M3, and its on the way down from San Jose, will be here next week. I'm planning on retiring my 170k 2.5 and auto trans in favor of a 70k 3.0 with 5 speed..

The shop I THOUGHT I was going to use for the engine and tranny swap just scared me off, came back with a 50 hour labor quote. I was expecting to pay a buck or two, but not nearly $4000 for labor.

Any suggestions on who else I should talk to for this work? North County preferred.

Thanks!

MVEED3
02-15-2003, 09:35 AM
A motor swap isn't cheap in the San Diego area because it's rarely done here. I know of a few shops that have done it but I don't know if you could save much off your $4000 price quote. AJ USA and APEX have experience with the job and also EVOsport in Huntington Beach if you can make the drive. I'm guessing EVOsport will give you the best price.

If you can, just make it a project to really want to save money. Go rent a hoist from your local NAPA or Kragen and go to town. Then you'll know the ins-and-outs of your motor and you won't worry about the monkeyhead overtorquing your bolts or taking joyrides when he's done. Then, if you end up getting stuck, you don't have to pay the full amount of the install. If you finish, that's another story and you can take pride in your work haarrrrh-haarrrrrgh.

BzAlwayzLit
02-17-2003, 02:56 AM
dude , I told you my buddy whos a tech(at the stealer) will do it for you ...
but in norcal.... he will do it for 2500.00
justin

onebadm5
02-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by MVEED3
Then, if you end up getting stuck, you don't have to pay the full amount of the install.

The first mechanic job i ever had, my boss had a sign up in the shop that read:

LABOR RATES (per Hour)

50 Dollars for me to do it
60 Dollars for you to watch me to do it
70 Dollars for me to fix your fuck up

:clap:

apex is probably the place to consider, although ive heard mixed reviews about them.

Give shane a call. I believe he works at cunningham now. He might be willing to do it, or at least he could point in the direction of someone who could.

CarbonBlkE36
02-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by onebadm5
The first mechanic job i ever had, my boss had a sign up in the shop that read:

LABOR RATES (per Hour)

50 Dollars for me to do it
60 Dollars for you to watch me to do it
70 Dollars for me to fix your fuck up

:clap:

apex is probably the place to consider, although ive heard mixed reviews about them.

Give shane a call. I believe he works at cunningham now. He might be willing to do it, or at least he could point in the direction of someone who could.

it don't matter what u say..................