PDA

View Full Version : Apexcone.com Open Garage Saturday Rules

jsp98m3
02-05-2003, 11:29 AM
My wife has asked me to post some rules. She's a long suffering woman.

1. Open Garage Saturday means that you can com over and work on your car at my house. Why would you do that? I have a lift and I have a lot of tools. And since there are usually 5-10 other people here, there's lots of help.

2. I will not work on your car except for advice. This is a social occassion for me and public service. I won't fix your car or add accessories to your car for free unless it is easy and you bought them from me. I have to have some free time and if I did free mechanical work, the line would be up the street.

3. If you bring something over to install, you WILL take the old one with you. I have normal residential garbage service. I cannot deal with 2 suspensions and a couple of exhausts and 2 sets of brake rotors in my garbage can. Yuo are free to come over and install shiny new parts but you will take the dirty old ones away with you. Be prepared with whatever you need to keep your car clean on the ride home with your blown out shocks and rusty muffler.

4. Wipe up the sink in the bathroom. Use shop towels to dry your hands. I have latex gloves if you want them.

5. Bring whatever it is you like to drink with you. If you like Pepsi, stop and get a 12 pack on the way over. We might also order pizza. It's pot luck here although my wife has been known to make plates of sandwiches and we have barbeques, you can't count on getting fed and a drink unless you are prepared to share a 12 pack or chip in on pizza.

6. Consumables. I have most things like anti-squeel and brake cleaner etc available. But occassionally we run out of something. Don't be surprised if we all chip in a dollar and try to recruit you to run to Kragen to get tranny fluid or something.

7. Dress for getting dirty.

8. If you wash your car here, roll up the hose.

9. The lift is first come, first served but the garage door doesn't come up till 8am. You can negotiate with whoever else needs it to see who goes up first.

10. Be prepared to stay around awhile and help others. We will probably help you. If we help change your suspension and you run off without helping on the next muffler job, people will chase you and call your car names :)

That's it. Open garage Saturday starts at 8:00am'ish and ends when the last car is gone. You don't have to stay all day, just help as much as you are helped. Cell service here is pretty bad. Just to warn you.

If you need directions, put this in Mapquest:

1244 Calle Prospero
San Marcos, CA 92069
Shop number is: 760-295-5454

LeVik
02-05-2003, 11:36 AM
I'd come if I was about 3000 miles closer:)

Oh Jim,

When are those mirrors coming out, "Objects in mirror are slower than they appear"?

Just wondering because I'm interested. Thanks

jsp98m3
02-05-2003, 11:39 AM
I have to check with the glass shop this week. The prototype came out ok but I had some suggestions on grit size for the intial sandblasting. I also want to see them produce them with the text aligned properly instead of the demo they did.

It should be pretty quick.

LeVik
02-05-2003, 11:40 AM
Good deal, I'll just wait for your thread about it. Are you gonna post on here? Also, where will you post?

Thanks in advance...

jsp98m3
02-05-2003, 11:43 AM
I'll probably put something up again in Vendor Specials or whatever that section is called.

I'm trying to get the price lower too. Hand made stuff is expensive. I need to make a couple of calls.

LeVik
02-05-2003, 11:46 AM
Hey, that works for me. I'll keep an eye for it....in fact, all the guys around here know about it and are interested. I'll keep them posted as well so you'll have some customers.

Thanks Jim

94is
02-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Okay, so if I come by I should wear some nasty clothes and bring beer? Is that what you mean? Good thing I can't afford to modify my car so I won't have to fight for the lift or need help with my suspension. Hey Jim, will you show me how to replace my blinker fluid this time? I think I need to change it every 3k? I really shouldn't me making any fun since it was me who didn't know that the reason my gauges weren't lighting up was because the bulbs were missing! :clap: Hooray for me! Oh well, sorry for posting this crap on your thread. I'll make sure that if I come by I will abide by all your rules!:D
-Kim

TheBestCow
02-06-2003, 11:53 AM
Jim ... you rock.

You know you're going to open a shop. You know you want to ... *entices you for future job opportunity*

Your wife deserves.. a really big cookie or something!

Grrr... too bad I live east of the Mississippi!

XOC
02-06-2003, 06:55 PM
Aww man, I knew I should have gotten over there sooner with that nasty little control unit thing which shall remain nameless ....

And as for rule 10, I recommend enforcement via spike strips. :D

EstorilBlauM3
02-06-2003, 07:26 PM
See you on Saturdays, Jim! Thanks again for hosting open garage.

jhleung
02-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Jim is a very generous man, and his family *has* to be more than patient to allow him to open up his garage on Saturdays. Do you guys bring him a gift or something when you show up?

Jim checked out a used car for me once many miles from San Diego; I figure next time I'm in SD I'll bring him a spread of Harry & David Goodies with pears and sausages and chesses and chocolates ...... or something like that.

Just wondering......

For instance, J. Ochi helped me replace a motor mount on my car the other day, so naturally, I treated him to dinner. Naan 'N' Curry here in Northern California. Yum.

-Jason
(just trying to make sure Jim's not getting G'd by his generosity)

Croak
02-08-2003, 10:23 PM
And fellas, watch the speed, don't leave rubber on the road, and keep the music down when in or around Powellville.

volfman
02-10-2003, 01:21 AM
Rule #11, if you're heading on your way to the track, and your check engine light goes on, check the fuel cap before calling jim to use his peak tool. Better yet, get your own peak tool, you cheap lazy bastard.

(ask me how i know?)

Ben Carufel
02-10-2003, 01:29 AM
Roman, it's Peake.

Yeah, thanks a ton Jim. San Diego would suck without ya. Sorta.

You should set up some sort of scale where the people who have spent the most money buying something from you/Apexcone.com get seniority! :D