PDA

View Full Version : engine swaps

mashnam3
03-24-2007, 03:40 PM
what is easer to swap in to my e36 a v8 or a straight six?
and if so which car should i get it from?

Ahheck01
03-25-2007, 01:36 AM
what is easer to swap in to my e36 a v8 or a straight six?
and if so which car should i get it from?

Most would say the straight 6, but you have a few things to consider.

First off, Fair from Vorshlag is constructing a kit to swap in the 5.7L aluminum block V8 from a corvette - the LS1. With the kit, it'll be much more simple than a full custom install like some have done already.

The advantages to the V8 are as follows:

- The V8 is actually LIGHTER than the I6, which helps performance in almost every way (braking/accelleration/handling/balance)

- The V8 get's equal or possibly better fuel economy (if left stock) than the I6

- Boltons and parts are MUCH cheaper for an american V8 than for a german I6

- The power potential of the LS1 (V8) is astronomical, and even when it's stock it's more powerful than many I6's with forced induction

- The full swap includes a 6-speed manual transmission, which is much more costly to do with BMW-only parts than with the LS1 swap

- The LS1 is also more compact than the long I6, so it can be set further back over the axle, which should offer better handling

- How insane would it be to have that V8 growl coming from an e36?

Sir, personally I'm going with the V8. What you choose is your prerogative, but I see very little advantage to the I6 swap.

-Evan

VanosMTechnic
03-31-2007, 12:20 PM
any ideas when the kit would be done?

dynamowhum
03-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Vorshlag says the end of June before kit prototype is done I believe. Go to the thread about it for more infomation. I would really like to do this swap as well.

Derek 350i
03-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Forget Vorshag, check here: http://www.nash8503.com/

Ahheck01
03-31-2007, 03:54 PM
Forget Vorshag, check here: http://www.nash8503.com/

I would trust Vorshlag with my 7 grand far before those guys.

-Evan

Derek 350i
03-31-2007, 04:52 PM
I disagree, Vorshag has been screwing around with their kit for how many years now? This guy got this thing up and going in a few months and I believe he has a handful of these out on the street.

Ahheck01
04-01-2007, 12:18 AM
I disagree, Vorshag has been screwing around with their kit for how many years now? This guy got this thing up and going in a few months and I believe he has a handful of these out on the street.

And vorshlag is a well-respected company that engineers some top-quality products. All this time means more consideration and R&D going into the finished kit. Just because some guy threw his together in a couple months and put some on the street does not by any means mean his kit is superior.

Also, keep in mind that Vorshlag is not still on their first swap. They're doing yet another to fine-tune the process, and their kit.

-Evan