PDA

View Full Version : s50b32 vanos problems

BavarianLove
03-19-2007, 12:20 AM
i have a s50b32 and i think i have vanos problems. the car will barely want to start.. but when it does i have to hold the throttle down for a while to keep it running and then it will idle. The car sounds like a diesel right now it is really loud. i don't want to drive it at all. i have already pulled the valve cover off and the vanos system back a little bit but not off. i haven't really gone through the dual vanos system yet but what is the most common problem in the vanos mechanism? i know that it has to do with advancing and retarding. is there a way i can test the solenoids. i checked the filter screw and it was clean. i pulled both the intake and exhaust solenoids and tested for voltage current and both were good. although it was very difficult to pull the exhaust solenoid off. exhaust solenoids also had much more crud and gray charring on them then the intake solenoids, maybe they were stuck... i don't know. please help, or refer me to someone that might know something. PM me, thanks Rod

BSH
03-19-2007, 02:26 AM
There have been numerous threads about double vanos maintenance/troubleshooting on another forum: www.e36coupe.co.uk/forum/

Just search keywords "double vanos".

But it doesn't sound like an issue limited to the vanos unit.

BTW - this isn't the euro 3.2 powered Imola M Roadster, is it?

bloxsom
03-19-2007, 02:30 AM
no its not vanos. i would think.. your injectors are leeking flooding the cylinders, head gasket, water geting in the cylinder..? my car did the same thing when my head cracked. before you start it pull out the plugs and see if any of them are wet. good luck

BSH
03-19-2007, 02:36 AM
BTW - this isn't the euro 3.2 powered Imola M Roadster, is it?Uh oh...looks like you did buy that car (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8391868&postcount=1).

Good luck with that. :eyecrazy

EDIT: Check this out...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3580100&postcount=3

This engine has a history of issues and the previous owner and her b/f were less than forthcoming with what the issues actually were. In other words, I don't think it simply had a "bad plug". Somebody who has some knowledge of the euro motor needs to do some troubleshooting. Previous mechanics who believed it had 2x normal fuel pressure probably didn't know that the euro 3.2 has a 5 bar FPR whereas the US motor has a 3.5 bar FPR. I know this may not be connected to your issues above but it does shed some light on the (less than satisfactory?) maintenance history.