PDA

View Full Version : m50 NON vanos to s50

green325ibimmer
03-18-2007, 02:05 AM
i searched and couldn't find any clear cut answers for these questions

I have a 92 325i with a F'ed up m50 NON vanos.

What do i have to swap inorder to put in an s50. S50 has vanos, so do i have to swap out my engine harness and ecu?

From what i understand an s50 will go into an m50 VANOS equipted car with no problems, using the m50 harness and all, except ecu, is this correct?

Is the vanos system in the head like how the vtec system is in the hondas?

is the block from a non vanos m50 the same as the block from a vanos m50?

would an m50 head fit an s50 head? I know the honda guys do something similar with the b16 head on a b18 block because the b16 head flows better. I'm just trying to figure out what is the most cost effective way to get my car running again.

any help would be great, i posted a similar set of questions in the e36 section but got nothing, hopefully you guys that frequent this section are a little more knowledgeable.

green325ibimmer
03-18-2007, 09:33 PM
anyone?

triggrhaapi
03-19-2007, 03:32 PM
1. Search function is your friend

2. Yes, the VANOS unit is on the front of the cylinder head. Your engine is missing several components, including knock sensors. You will also need a 413 DME with EWS deleted software.

green325ibimmer
03-19-2007, 07:39 PM
1. Search function is your friend

2. Yes, the VANOS unit is on the front of the cylinder head. Your engine is missing several components, including knock sensors. You will also need a 413 DME with EWS deleted software.

as i stated i searched

ews, i thought only the the 96+ came with ews

scabzzzz
03-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah if its s50 its no ews equiped. you can actually put the m50 non vanos head onto the s50 but it wouldnt really be worth it unless you were doing FI. nonvanos heads get the bigger valves and retainers, and are stronger as well. now, if you had an s52 block with m50 non vanos head, that would be the shit. you could get the bigger displacement with the higher flow and make lots of reliable power. you should be fine with the s50 though. should drop right in. i believe you could use the original harness as well but i would definetely use the s50 if it comes with it, which it should. once you get it in, see if it throws codes and see what those codes are. we've done this swap a million times but i just cant remember right now. the wiring harnesses are just about the same though once you compare them laying out of the car. the s50 was modeled after the m50 in the us market anyways

RobC
03-22-2007, 07:02 PM
i searched and couldn't find any clear cut answers for these questions

I have a 92 325i with a F'ed up m50 NON vanos.

What do i have to swap inorder to put in an s50. S50 has vanos, so do i have to swap out my engine harness and ecu?

From what i understand an s50 will go into an m50 VANOS equipted car with no problems, using the m50 harness and all, except ecu, is this correct?

It will all work, you can even use a 2.5 DME (red label 413 or a 506).
You will need a cam sensor, knock sensors, vanos unit, vanos wiring harness, cams, MAF, DME, oil filter housing (or you can drill and tap you current one with an m14x1.5 tap), vanos supply line, valve cover, and a few gaskets. I am sure I am forgetting something, but that should get you started.

Is the vanos system in the head like how the vtec system is in the hondas?

? It runs off of oil, like the vtec.

is the block from a non vanos m50 the same as the block from a vanos m50?

AFAIK, Yes.

would an m50 head fit an s50 head? I know the honda guys do something similar with the b16 head on a b18 block because the b16 head flows better. I'm just trying to figure out what is the most cost effective way to get my car running again.

You can run your non-vanos head, if that is what you are asking. You just need to do some creative grinding.

Anyways, your best bet would be to get a complete s50, and just plug it all up.
If you get a complete motor, you shouldnt have to change anything.
Then, you can sell me your non-vanos motor.

zeit00
03-29-2007, 11:05 AM
You will need more than just the S50..

You need the wiring harness, HFM, and all ODB1 sensors (might come with engine)

Thats about it really, to do the S52 there is more involved, but you mentioned only the S50.

scabzzzz
03-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Ok listen to Rob. For undisclosed reasons. ;)

zeit00
03-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Ok listen to Rob. For undisclosed reasons. ;)

Would it have to do with something in your sig? ;)

The 92 cars are different than 93 besides the lack of vanos. The ECU, wiring harness, and HFM are different from 92 to 93-95. It is simple to drop a S50 into a 93-95 325.. But unless the S50 comes with the wiring harness, ecu, and hfm he will need to source these parts.

green325ibimmer
04-01-2007, 12:38 PM
hey thanks for all your help guys. looks like getting a full s50 with wiring harness and all accessories is going to be the way to go. I'm currently tryin to source up an entire car to pull everything from.

my e36 has kind of been put onto the back burner since i picked up an e28 2 weeks ago, but all this info has helped out alot. thanks

TheM3nsah
04-01-2007, 01:39 PM
Vtec in a honda consists of a totally different cam profile that is switched to at a certain point. from what i kno BMW vanos just advances or retards the cam. so its similar not the same

Concentric190
04-01-2007, 05:09 PM
I went from an s50 to s52 and now going to go with a m50nv lol.

you're gona need wire harness, ecu, and sensors.