PDA

View Full Version : Top Won't Open

FiveG
03-13-2007, 07:54 PM
I have a 1997 328i. Last fall, the top stopped half way open. The dealer replaced three (I think) of the modules, and it ran fine.

A week or so ago, I tried to open it when it got warm here in the east. When I pressed the open button, nothing happened -- no lights, no movement, nothing. I took it to my mechanic, who checked the fuse, switch, and succeeded only in getting the light on the open switch to blink. He also tells me that the codes show that a motor is going to ground.

Can anyone give me a hint on what's going on here? The dealer told me last fall that the motor was fine. Has the motor gone bad on me in the winter? Is there some fix here I can try?

Thanks.

FiveG

MParallel
03-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Is the emergency handle under the rear seat pulled? As this will disengage the drive motors.

Otherwise some microswitch(es) are broken.

328icKeith
03-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Or the trunk's not closed completely.

badwayz
03-14-2007, 02:12 AM
I have the same problem, havent been able to figure it out yet. I have also repleced all fuses connected with the top and replaced the switch with no luck so far......looks like its time to start replacing microswitches.

Does anyone have part numbers for the microswitches? I cant seem to find them.

FiveG
03-14-2007, 06:02 AM
Frustrating thing is the BMW dealer replaced three of them last fall.

bucks1406
03-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Frustrating thing is the BMW dealer replaced three of them last fall.

I had this problem last year and after 4 hrs in BMW dealership, they found it was the fuse holder in the boot next to the battery, this needed cleaning. Hope this helps.

first time
03-14-2007, 11:17 PM
A good bmw shop, read that "no dealer", should be able to code it and reset all swithches and motor revolutions. Mine got so out of wack, there was no way I could have adjusted it with motor engagement, fuse pulls etc. It even took my guy a good bit of tenacity to resolve it.