PDA

View Full Version : 95 e36 M3 engine swap 3.0 to 3.2 (help needed!)

DORAS
03-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has replaced there 3.0 unit for the 3.2 evo unit and if so were there any problems?
Reason being I have just purchased a 95 3.0 m3 with a hole in the block. I managed to find a cheap 3.2 motor which I gambled and bought hoping it wouldn't be too much trouble to fit.
I would appreciate any help given, i have always had e30's and not up to speed on the e36.

regards Rich

p.s happy to help with any e30 questions

DaveAZ
03-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Try these two forums- They are both on your side of the pond where this would be more common.
(Your Evo 3.2 isn't the same as the US version.)

You could also post in the E36 M3 forum of bimmerforums.

http://www.e36coupe.co.uk/forum/

http://www.bmwtrackdays.com/forum/

This post does not belong here.
"Engine Conversions Major projects involving upgrading BMWs to accomodate non-BMW engine swaps."
Yours is a BMW engine replaced with another BMW engine.

XSellR8NInMyM3
03-14-2007, 09:17 PM
I own this very swap currently. I went ahead and swapped out my 95 obdI s50 with a 96 obdII s52. Easy and not uncommon. You will need a coolant hose adapter pipe for the rear of the engine. I kept the original wiring harness and intake for the increase air flow. If you use the original wiring harness you might want to swap out the valve covers because of the oil line fitting mismatch. Any other Questions just ask! It is sitting in my drive way and its for sale if you want to get a first hand look...

XSellR8NInMyM3
03-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Oh yes and almost forgot. You need to swap the crankshaft pulley and the crank sensor if you use the original wireing and ecu. If this is not done the fuel pump will not receive the signal to turn it self on. No fuel No Good!

Kaiv
03-14-2007, 10:45 PM
XSellR8NInMyM3 > OP is the U.K. so he's talking about a totally different engine :) See DaveAZ's post.

dlduke
11-27-2007, 10:37 PM
I transplanted a '93 325 motor into a '92 325 automatic. (non-vanos body with vanos engine) Can you refer me to someone who knows about this? Car wont start. Thanks. dlduke. bethduke@mindspring.com

T Hurst919
11-27-2007, 11:20 PM
xsellR8InMyM3, Im currently in the middle of swapping my 95 m3 motor for a 96. Did you notice any power difference after the swap?

RiCoZM3
01-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Isn't this a Euro 3.0 to another Euro 3.2?

wavecruzer79
03-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Hey Guys,

I know this is a little old but hoping to get some help! I purchased a 95 M3 from a buddy back in Dec 2012. I noticed the idle was a little funny but the car drove strong. I moved from DC to Miami and trailered the car all the way here. Lately the car has had a really sweet smell when it runs and it makes you dizzy if it gets in the windows. I've checked for oil in the coolant and coolant in the oil! but nothing. I took the car to a Bmw shop and the tech alerted me it was a swapped block to a 3.2 and the cam sensor was just hanging in the car causing the idle, and he couldn't fix this.

-Could this be the weird smell, running to rich?
-Can this really be fixed? I assume he just didn't know or wanna bother with it.
-I also just purchased, radiator, new hoses, aluminum thermostat cover, water pump and sensor since I hear they are problematic. Will this give me issues on the slightly different motor?

Thanks!!