PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in SoCal Want to go Drag Racing This Weekend 1/25??

ADAM///M
01-22-2003, 02:43 PM
I just checked and California Speedway in Fontana is opening winter season this Saturday, Jan 25th.

I've never been with my BMW and am interested in getting some stock baseline times.

Anyone else interested?

DINANISR3
01-22-2003, 05:05 PM
im interested... let me know if you go or not.. and how much is it? do they require helmets? thanks.. ive always wanted togo and see wut times i can pull... i kno silverstreak pulled 12.56 with my car.. but im sure i cant get it down to that..

E36M3
01-22-2003, 05:46 PM
I'd really like to go but I need to wait until my car gets back from the tuner. Let me know if you go again...mid February sounds real good.

segal3
01-22-2003, 06:05 PM
It's around $15 for "unlimited" runs...usually you get 3 or 4 depending

~Matt Segal

ADAM///M
01-23-2003, 09:36 PM
http://dbserver.iscmotorsports.com/CaliforniaSpeedway/

Says ten bucks per person to enter and ten bucks to purchase a tech car to allow you to race...so $20 in total.

Last time I was there they had the domestics run together then the imports run together. A fairly light crowd and you could have probably made 8 runs that day if you stayed the duration. I was there on opening day two years ago and I got 3 or 4 runs all day....so depends on the crowd.

segal3
01-23-2003, 09:41 PM
Oh sorry I'm thinking Los Angeles County Raceway (www.lacr.net I think)

~Matt Segal

DINANISR3
01-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by ADAM///M
http://dbserver.iscmotorsports.com/CaliforniaSpeedway/

Says ten bucks per person to enter and ten bucks to purchase a tech car to allow you to race...so $20 in total.

Last time I was there they had the domestics run together then the imports run together. A fairly light crowd and you could have probably made 8 runs that day if you stayed the duration. I was there on opening day two years ago and I got 3 or 4 runs all day....so depends on the crowd.

ey adam are you going to go? if you do wut time does it start? and do they require helmets?

segal3
01-24-2003, 02:31 AM
Usually they don't unless your car breaks 11s or 12s

~Matt Segal

ADAM///M
01-24-2003, 10:55 AM
Matt, that vid you have of your Malibu canyon run is really cool. Did you mount the camera on the top of the passenger seat? Was it a digital camera or something else? Good work.

Anyway I think I will get to Cal Speedway around 10 am. Helmets are required for convertibles at anything below 14.99...not sure about hardtops but to get through tech, you should bring one if your car can break into the 13's just to be safe.

Hey Dinan, what kind of car do you have? Mid 12's is very fast...but don't expect that at Cal Speedway. Track is slick and times are generally slower by at least half a second or more.

DINANISR3
01-24-2003, 02:41 PM
ey ADAM.. i have a S54 M Roadster.. i do have a helmet.. ive been wanting togo for so long but never got the chance to.. so.. i assume i will need to bring my helmet because mine is a convert.. do you think you can give me directions.. i live near brea.. the freeways next to me are the 57, and 60 and 10 freeways.. i have never been to Fontana speedway b4.. i hope to goto.. if i get there around 10 also.. what time do these things usually last until? if you go.. ill see you there tomorrow.. and btw.. please give me directions...

ADAM///M
01-24-2003, 03:23 PM
Dinan,

I just called Cal Speedway. They couldn't give me a definitive answer, but said that you could probably tech without a helmet as long as you put one on to race. You could say that you are meeting a friend who will let you borrow one. You could always tell the tech guy that it's a 15 second car...our cars are really not very well known to the drag racing crowd, so he might buy it. If you like, you can call me on my cell phone 562-533-2825 and maybe we can meet up there.

Directions - you can take the 57 N to the 10 East. Go maybe 20 miles take the Cherry Avenue exit. Cal Speedway will be on your left hand side.

Your car will probably be the fasted "import" of the day. Mostly 15-18 second Honda's there from what I remeber. A nice, family crowd though...not like the dirty, redneck environment at Carlsbad.

DINANISR3
01-24-2003, 03:29 PM
cool.. thanks Adam.. ill call you once i get there tomorrow.. now im all excited.. :buttrock and btw my name is Mike

DINANISR3
01-24-2003, 10:05 PM
FU@K man.. sorry adam.. but i cant make it out tomorrow.. something came up and i cant make it anymore.. NOW im super pissed off.. this whole day has been such a shitty day and now this.. :mad: this was the only thing i was looking foward to doing.. next time you goto one of these events . im sure ass hell gonna go.. i dont care if im dying.. im going to go ...my apologies adam.. i have to get off the computer now.. b4 i break the damn thing.. :mad:

segal3
01-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Adam - http://www.carbonos.com/5x5/projects/camera_mount/index.html this is what I made one day in ~30min-1hr with some tools. Ignore the "5x5" stuff, I made the page to show my teacher in a film class how it was setup, etc.

I put a Sony DCR-TRV520 Digital8 vidcam on it (bulky, but hey, it works), took 1.5hrs of video, and edited down to 8.5min :D

~Matt Segal

ADAM///M
01-24-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by DINANISR3
FU@K man.. sorry adam.. but i cant make it out tomorrow.. something came up and i cant make it anymore.. NOW im super pissed off.. this whole day has been such a shitty day and now this.. :mad: this was the only thing i was looking foward to doing.. next time you goto one of these events . im sure ass hell gonna go.. i dont care if im dying.. im going to go ...my apologies adam.. i have to get off the computer now.. b4 i break the damn thing.. :mad:

:laugh no problem...there's always another day! In fact there's six more drags between now and the end of March...so plenty of time. It will give you a chance to pick up a helmet too!

I'll post again next time I go.

ADAM///M
01-24-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by segal3
Adam - http://www.carbonos.com/5x5/projects/camera_mount/index.html this is what I made one day in ~30min-1hr with some tools. Ignore the "5x5" stuff, I made the page to show my teacher in a film class how it was setup, etc.

I put a Sony DCR-TRV520 Digital8 vidcam on it (bulky, but hey, it works), took 1.5hrs of video, and edited down to 8.5min :D

~Matt Segal

Matt - very impressive indeed! :clap: I tried to take some pictures of some Malibu Canyon runs before to send to my East Coast friends who don't know what "twisties" are....but they don't do it justice like your video does.

By the way, what song is the first one on the vid? It's very fitting.

segal3
01-24-2003, 10:53 PM
Paul Oakenfold - Ready Steady Go

The other two I just threw on cause they fit the amount of time I had left lol

~Matt Segal

01-25-2003, 03:44 AM
Im down, but the track is above sea level, how much will this affect times?

ADAM///M
01-25-2003, 06:31 PM
Well it was a nice day, but a heavy side wind. Probably in the high 70's...elevation is about 1,200 feet but considering the temps it was pushing 2,000 ft + air density.

There were only a few BMW's there...but we did pretty good.

I did run DINAN (Mike)...the battle of my S52 versus his S54 and he beat me pretty good...I ran a 14.197 at 98.55 and DINAN ran a 13.688 at 103.99. I even red lighted .421 versus his .807 and he still crossed the line .1234 ahead of me. We had a great time and it was our first time drag racing.

I ran a second time with an exact same 14.197...but at 98.91 MPH. Hoping for a 13.99 next time!

DINANISR3
01-25-2003, 06:58 PM
ey.. it was a fun day.. i wanted to get in at least one more run.. but they kicked me out.. did u and your buddy in the Audi get another run? or did u just leave.. anyhow it was good to meet one of the members on the board.. and next time adam.. u go to any event or cruise.. just post it.. and ill remember to bring u a bottle of that car stuff..

ADAM///M
01-28-2003, 12:34 PM
Yeah too bad they yanked you out Mike...sucks. There's not really another good 1/4 mile strip near you either. Carlsbad is a dirt pit and Palmdale is really far. Irwindale is really close, though but it's only 1/8th mile. Maybe we could check that out some time. They're open very often.

segal3
01-28-2003, 05:38 PM
Wait why were you guys kicked out?

~Matt Segal

DINANISR3
01-28-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by segal3
Wait why were you guys kicked out?

~Matt Segal

i got kicked out.. because they said something like convertables cant break 13.99 without roll cage and 3 point racing harness or something like that.. i was wearing a helmet.. and told them i have the factory roll hoops.. but they said not good enough.. the first run i was ok.. because i messed up on the launch and ran like 14.7.. the second run i did with adam tho.. he told me to launch at around 3000 rpms.. and i pulled a 13.6 and as soon as i finished they gave me the boot..

ADAM///M
01-29-2003, 12:06 AM
NHRA rules require that convertibles need a roll cage - 6 pt I believe, when running 13.99 and under. Same for hardtops running 11.99 and under.

Funny, Cal Speedway was the ONLY 1/4 mile track in So Cal that I could drag in my Saleen without getting booted for running sub 13.99's. I guess they cracked down since...bummer.