PDA

View Full Version : Help: How to Adjust Cover Travel

lseguy
02-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Greetings:
We were discussing this in the Tension Straps thread, but thought it would be more appropriate to start a new thread specifically for this topic.
I checked the .PDF's that are provided on this forum, and did a search, but don't see a specific DIY on how to adjust the travel of the cover. During the opening process, The back edge of my top is smacking the leading edge of the cover, causing a "thunk" on the way down. If I stop the opening process midway, get out of the car, and slightly push back on the cover, it moves back an inch or two, and it stays back. I can then finish opening the top smoothly, with clearance between the top, and the cover.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MParallel
02-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Why open up a seperate thread when you already posted it (and got answers)

HERE

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648071&page=2

Come on man.

lseguy
02-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Did you notice the time this thread was created vs the time of the other responses (specifically the pointer towards the gas shock) in the Tension Straps thread?

Additionally..the other thread was specifically for tensioner straps.

This thread..was created for the specific purpose of cover travel.

There is...a difference.

But if a mod wants to merge or delete, they are free to do so.

MParallel
02-21-2007, 04:37 PM
It's ok, but all these issues have been talked about before.

lseguy
02-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Since we are specifically discussing cover travel, I'll post the following here:

Need a favor. If someone with a poperly working "vert(when they get a chance) could simply open their top, and check their storage cover lid when it's in the full open position. (before it drops back down)

When it's in the full open position..are you able to push it back with your hand any further? If so, does it stay back?

Still troubleshooting, and simply attempting to determine if it is common for the storage lid to have a 1/2 inch of room left to go backwards, like mine presently has. My theory is that new lift supports/shocks will have more pressure, and force the lid back as far as it will go, creating enough clearance to avoid the thunk.

I also checked my local AutoZone for the storage cover lift supports/shocks today. They sell Sachs for $56 EACH for the storage cover lift supports. Pep Boys doesn't carry them at all for the storage cover .

Local BMW dealer had them for $15each, $12 with BMWCCA discount. Special order would take about 3 days to arrive.