PDA

View Full Version : Windows drop when top down

apro
02-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a '98 323i convertible and can't wait for the weather to warm up so more top-down driving can happen. My question is regards to all 4 windows, and driving with the top down. I've tried to drive with the windows completely up (top-down), but every time i hit some bumps in the road the windows sag a little bit.

Would love to hear some thoughts on what's going wrong here, and the best way to fix it!

Thanks all!

NachtRitter
02-13-2007, 03:13 PM
I don't have an answer for you, but welcome... I just recently purchased the same thing, in Alpine White... beautiful and fun car!!

Hugo
02-14-2007, 10:19 AM
What the hell? You mean if you hit the same bumps while driving top up, the windows stay put, but they sagged if the top is down???

Makes no sense.
:conf

Random23
02-14-2007, 02:48 PM
I was just about to ask the same question. Mine does it too. Also a new buy and in white. I thought it was the control that makes the windows drop when you open the door and pop back up when you close it but mine drop about 2 inches when the top is down. Only the front windows, not the rears. Glad you asked and am very interested in the answer also.

apro
02-14-2007, 02:55 PM
yep, that's right... it's not the small 1inch adjustment (like what happens when you open the door), rather the windows just seem to lower a few inches. Normally it's only the front windows that do this. My theory is that it's something to do with (a) the window motors; or (b) 'tightness' of the window opening in the door that isn't supporting the weight of the glass.

does that help? I've never had the problem with the top up, and i think that's because the friction at the top of the window holds it in place.

Random23
02-14-2007, 07:10 PM
Hey this is off topic but how much did you pay and what was the milage on your verts? I can use this to negotiate what I will pay for mine. I am buying it from a family member and am testing it out and doing research until we can both work something out.

Hugo
02-14-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm puzzled. Are you saying you bring them up as high as they'll go, and yet, they STILL take a 2" drop if you hit a bump??

Random23
02-14-2007, 11:59 PM
That is exactly right. I hit a bump or pothole and the front windows drop about 2 inches. I roll them back up and they stay there till I hit another bump. I tried rolling them up and rapping the window with my knuckles, pushing, pulling, etc. It seems to take a bump on the whole car or at least one of the door sides. I only noticed it hapening when the drivers side took the jolt but thats where I was sitting so I could be mistaken on that.

amancuso
02-15-2007, 09:32 AM
thats a weird situation.... never heard of this problem.

Hugo
02-15-2007, 09:36 AM
That is exactly right. I hit a bump or pothole and the front windows drop about 2 inches. I roll them back up and they stay there till I hit another bump. I tried rolling them up and rapping the window with my knuckles, pushing, pulling, etc. It seems to take a bump on the whole car or at least one of the door sides. I only noticed it hapening when the drivers side took the jolt but thats where I was sitting so I could be mistaken on that.

And when your top is up, they don't do that? :confused

laserdude
02-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Hey this is off topic but how much did you pay and what was the milage on your verts? I can use this to negotiate what I will pay for mine. I am buying it from a family member and am testing it out and doing research until we can both work something out.
Bought my 98 323 vert 5 speed, 5 months ago with 57k on the odometer for 11500. Extremely clean, always garaged, with new rear window, new tires and brakes, BMW car cover and rear wind screen. :redspot

Random23
02-15-2007, 11:12 AM
And when your top is up, they don't do that? :confused

Yes. When the top is up the windows stay up.

apro
02-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Ok, I think i have a solution for this problem... so Random23 try this and let me know. 2 steps:
(1) "reset the windows" - I've read in forums that by lowering the windows all the way down and holding the down button for 10secs, followed by raising the windows all the way up and holding for 10secs will reset the electric mechanism
(2) "double check the cover" - when you open your vert, make sure that both sides of the cover click down hard. This will mean that you probably need to walk around to the other side of the car when opening the top.

I did this a couple of days ago and my windows seem to be fine now. I was cruising on a hwy today, hit bumps, and everything was fine.

Hopefully this will help some people out there!

jasontn
02-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Interesting.....what does resetting the electric mechanism do?...besides hopefully fixing Random23's problem?

apro
02-19-2007, 09:40 PM
From what I've read, it reset the "level" of the windows. Ie: so the mechanism knows how high to raise the windows to the closed position.

Random23
02-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Interesting. I will give it a try when it stops raining here.
Thank you all very much.

Mr CrEEP
02-22-2007, 03:27 AM
YES, this crap has happened to me also, but this happens when my top is up. It goes crazy by itself and opens about 1/2 an inch up and down every time I hit a bump.

lasts about 30 seconds on and off, this will start about 15 minutes after I start the engine. On cold nights I drive with gloves so one night I stuck a glove in the window and rolled it up and the problem stopped. But I need to know if theres a permanent fix.

I'll try the window reset right away. Thanks, oh by the way I have a 1996 328i convertible.

Random23
03-04-2007, 11:19 PM
It stopped raining, the top dried, I did the procedure, and drove home. The windows stayed up no problem. worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip.

MParallel
03-05-2007, 12:32 PM
From what I've read, it reset the "level" of the windows. Ie: so the mechanism knows how high to raise the windows to the closed position.

It's simple. There's a magnet and the module counts how many times the magnet passes a certain point. So it knows how many revs it takes to lower and raise the window.

Random23
03-05-2007, 02:51 PM
That would explain why you can keep the button down and it does not strain the motor like other cars when the window reaches end of travel.