PDA

View Full Version : s52 swap?

GrieverM3
02-06-2007, 05:48 PM
hey..i have an e36 1996 318is with an M44 right now and i'm sick of it...i need some power..i have a nice car and i luv it too much that i can't just sell it and get another one..even if that other one is an e36 M3...so wat to do? well...can't think of nything except s52 swap ! turboing my current one would cost A LOT and will get me in the end less power than the s52...

so...wat do i need to know about this?how hard is it?how much would it cost me?wat needs to be done?wat other parts in the car needs to be changed?if it's done..is the final result reliable and can it be said that it's just like an original e36 M3?and finally.....is it worth it??

appreciate any answers...thanx alot

lithium726
02-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Sounds like you wouldnt be doing the work yourself on the swap.

Selling the 318 buying a real M3 would cost you less.

You would need the engine, trans, cooling system, exhaust, brakes, etc...

Team BM
02-13-2007, 04:22 PM
hes right ^^

autophile
02-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Costs vary by region. You're in UAE, so most of us in the US don't know what you pay for, say 1 hour of labor in an independent BMW shop. We also don't know what you'd pay for an S52. Is that your car in your sig? If so, I see why you want to do the swap vs. buying a new car.

Check some local sources, and give us an idea of what labor rates are in your area, and we can give you some better answers.

RIPDOTCOM
02-14-2007, 07:51 AM
I bought a 94 325IS with a hole in the block for $800.00 and bought a S50 for $2K. Put Headers ($200.00), Deleted Cats (100.00), Got a Euro HFM + Conforti Chip for $200.00. I have Less than $4K into the entire car and that includes a new trunk (100.00) and Igee seat covers (200.00). Is it worth it? it is if you take your time like I did and shop prices it is. Of course you could turbo the car for about the same (or less) and make more power. Sounds like you need to do more research before you jump into this. Personally, I would turbo it. Just the engine labor for a swap could be $1500.00+ unless you do it yourself.

lorkar
02-14-2007, 10:38 AM
I bought a 94 325IS with a hole in the block for $800.00 and bought a S50 for $2K. Put Headers ($200.00), Deleted Cats (100.00), Got a Euro HFM + Conforti Chip for $200.00. I have Less than $4K into the entire car and that includes a new trunk (100.00) and Igee seat covers (200.00). Is it worth it? it is if you take your time like I did and shop prices it is. Of course you could turbo the car for about the same (or less) and make more power. Sounds like you need to do more research before you jump into this. Personally, I would turbo it. Just the engine labor for a swap could be $1500.00+ unless you do it yourself.

For that kind of swap~ 1500.00 is a gift.

RIPDOTCOM
02-14-2007, 02:39 PM
For that kind of swap~ 1500.00 is a gift.

Yeah, well me and my brother did it in a weekend and a lot of shops have a rate of $1500.00-$2000.00 for engine swaps, I could imagine it being more for the S50/M50 since its such a tight fit.

GrieverM3
02-22-2007, 04:42 AM
well wat u guys say is totally true...i did look around there r very few places that can import M3 engines...and those that does r costing it xtremely high..i'm talking something like 4,000 USD (14,000 AED)...that's only for the engine...wire harness and gear...considering i'm converting from a 4 cyl to 6 there r many other things i need to change like brakes..differation..suspension..exaust system....and god knows wat else...i didn't even bother askin for labor of doin this...the parts themselves r like 8,000 USD...lets say labor would cost somethin like 2,000 USD that's 10,000 USD for an S50 engine swap............................i'd rather sell my car...and buy a new one than doin this swap...

for turbo charging...to get my car to reach something like 200 HP it's gonna cost something like 5,000 USD....

the way i see it the most reasonable thing to do is just to swap engines from other manufacturers..like the F20C vtec engine...i'm sure u saw that post in showroom eh...

runnin out of options........................gettin frustrated :shifty

Yellow98M3
02-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I have a 97 TI that we are swapping out the motor. We did the engine swap ourselves, but you are still looking at an easy 5k at best. My wife loves the 318 because of it styling. I Have an M3 and tried to talk her into one as well, but she didn't want to spend the money then. Now with a dead M44 motor, we are making the swap. If it's about money, sell the ti and buy the M3. If you love the car, (and we do) do the swap.

Rennhaus
02-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Unless you have mechanical aptitude and knowlege about dealing with EWS and rewiring then you are going to have to take it to someone who has done it before and ask for references. The easiest by far is an early 95 S50, I would recommend staying away from a Euro motor unless you have a bit of cash on hand and want to spend it. Most Euros either 3.0 or 3.2 need some sort of work before install, either minor service or major (Vanos replacement or rebuild) for a rebuild to stock specs with machine work it will cost you about $5000.00 for parts and labor, not including the initial motor cost. We have scrapped about every other engine other then the S54, they are resonable in price, usually relatively low miles and you can get a motor and transmission, if you look for about $7000.00. Doesnt matter how you look at it, unless you can do the work, it is gonna cost you.

GrieverM3
02-25-2007, 03:18 AM
thanx alot for the info fellas..but i decided to do an engine swap with a 2JZGTE...basically cuz it is the cheapest....easiest swap that will give me the power potential i'm lookin for.....nything else to do on my 318Is will not get me close to wat i want..i did ask around b4 saying this...FI would cost me a LOT...and will not get me near the results i want...an S50 swap also would cost same as a new M3...and since i have a 4 cyl small engine/car right now it's gonn be more than just replacing engines,gears and wires to do such a swap....AND...it still won't be as powerful as the 2JGTE...

had the car for more than 4 years....i'm willing to try something new like the 2J..it really seems like fun...and unique...i already started the search for parts and such...

Cheerz

lithium726
02-25-2007, 12:06 PM
doing a non-BMW engine is going to cost you more money than you think and take a very long time.

GrieverM3
02-27-2007, 02:13 PM
no actually doing a BMW engine is going to cost more and would take ages...doin a NON-BMW engine is the only reasonable option i got...trust me i looked around and asked alot b4 stating that...

cheerz

lithium726
02-27-2007, 02:22 PM
I fail to see how when you are going to need custom electronics, custom exhaust, custom intake, custom engine and tranny mounts, new tranny to mate with the engine.. unforeseen expenses and fitment issues... etc...

I still think your best option is to just sell the 318 and get a 6cyl BMW.

GrieverM3
02-27-2007, 04:08 PM
m8..to do a BMW engine swap i have to do those same things u just mentioned too...remember..i currenlty have an M44...the only difference between doin that and doin the 2JZGTE is that the 2J parts r MUCH more CHEAPER and the end result will be better as in more power...

i don't want to sell my car i luv it..i just want more power in it that's all...

i appreciate the advise and help tho...thanx alot

Cheerz :buttrock

autophile
02-27-2007, 04:39 PM
I fail to see how when you are going to need custom electronics, custom exhaust, custom intake, custom engine and tranny mounts, new tranny to mate with the engine.. unforeseen expenses and fitment issues... etc...

I still think your best option is to just sell the 318 and get a 6cyl BMW.

You're right, in a Spock-like way. But who on this board is rational when it comes to cars? Most people do strange things like buy cars based solely on color or even marque instead of rational things like HP, TQ, upgrades available, etc!

specialk5284
03-01-2007, 10:43 PM
How difficult of a DIY job is it to do an M42 into S52 swap, and how much do you think a s52 engine+tranny+other parts would cost

lithium726
03-01-2007, 10:59 PM
m8..to do a BMW engine swap i have to do those same things u just mentioned too...remember..i currenlty have an M44...the only difference between doin that and doin the 2JZGTE is that the 2J parts r MUCH more CHEAPER and the end result will be better as in more power...

i don't want to sell my car i luv it..i just want more power in it that's all...

i appreciate the advise and help tho...thanx alot

Cheerz :buttrock

Not really.. With the Jap motor you need all custom stuff. For the 6 cyl swap you just buy a totaled M3/328/325 and swap everything out, then sell the parts car and all the stuff you pulled from your car.

GrieverM3
03-02-2007, 04:34 AM
well yeah that's a good idea and i'm sure it's an easy thing to do...in the USA...as i stated b4 m8..in my country it's ultimately difficult to find an M3 cruisin around..an M3 for sale..an M engine for sale (if u find they'r gonna screw u with the price)..a TOTALED M for sale...u just can't find ny...it's almost impossible !!!! i'm not 'AGAINST' the idea of an S52 swap into my car at all...i'd luv to have that...i just gave up on that idea cuz it's not achievable....then i went for the jap motor cuz actually they'r available all around...and for cheap prices...

i didn't go to my mechanical to ask him bout this operation yet...but if it's like wat u say and it's gonna cost more than an S52 swap would cost then for sure i'm NOT gonna do it !! i'm lookin for the cheaper, easier and achievable swap...no matter wat that would be...i'd go for it...

i'll try and visit my mech guy tommorow and have a chat with him about all this..will let u know wat happens...

Thanx alot

garretvs
03-02-2007, 04:44 AM
keep us posted on the 2JZE swap... I would love to see it after!

scabzzzz
03-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Ahhh dont do that. If you do your research you can do the swap for reasonable pricing. Dont listen to these kids up here, they're all stock.
A 2JZ swap is going to cost an arm and a leg after all is said and done, though its gonna be really quick.

n00bjabi
03-02-2007, 11:55 AM
hey..i have an e36 1996 318is with an M44 right now and i'm sick of it...i need some power..i have a nice car and i luv it too much that i can't just sell it and get another one..even if that other one is an e36 M3...so wat to do? well...can't think of nything except s52 swap ! turboing my current one would cost A LOT and will get me in the end less power than the s52...

so...wat do i need to know about this?how hard is it?how much would it cost me?wat needs to be done?wat other parts in the car needs to be changed?if it's done..is the final result reliable and can it be said that it's just like an original e36 M3?and finally.....is it worth it??

appreciate any answers...thanx alot

Interested in buying a totalled 95 M3 with a good running engine? I live in the US but let me know if you have money and are willing to work something out with getting the car to you...

GrieverM3
03-02-2007, 01:35 PM
will do my research bout the 2J first and see if i can do it..if not i'll pm u bout ur M...thanx alot