PDA

View Full Version : 1999 328iC Convertiable Top Stuck

backatya07
02-02-2007, 02:03 PM
My top is stuck in the up position - Is there any way to open it manually so that I can access the mechanism.

Thanks in advance for any help !!!!

MParallel
02-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Yes.

Pull the emergency handle under the rear seats (lef side) and get the special allen key out of the toolkit.

You can then manually turn the windshield locks to unlock it.

backatya07
02-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Thanks for you help !!!!

MParallel
02-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Thanks for you help !!!!

You're welcome.

(did you already managed to do it?)

backatya07
02-04-2007, 11:59 AM
I was able to get the front to go back but the rear part of the top wouldn't move. I pull the release lever under the seat all the way out several times. Any advise would be appreciated.

Stan

MParallel
02-04-2007, 01:30 PM
I was able to get the front to go back but the rear part of the top wouldn't move. I pull the release lever under the seat all the way out several times. Any advise would be appreciated.

Stan

I never had to do it manually so I don't know how heavy it would feel. Maybe you need to just give it a harder pull.

Do remember with the motors disconnected you can only drive with the top up and now down, this is because the storage lid won't close. With the top up, the sixth bow will rest on it and push it shut.

dieseldriver99
02-06-2007, 12:28 PM
There are two motors on the convertible - one facing the back of the driver's seat - pivots from front, and goes up and down. It needs to be engaged in up position. If some teeth are showing, it's not fully engaged.

Another motor is facing the inside of the driver's side quarter panel. It pivots quarter panel side the gears are engaged by pushing facing the quarter panel.

Stan

jasontn
02-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Make sure you manually take the front of the top as far back as you can to relieve the pressure on the back part. Sounds strange...but it is necessary.