PDA

View Full Version : GM V8 (w/ a twist) in a BMW - Video Link

autophile
02-02-2007, 10:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDypEiiVn9U

The first in a series (5 so far) of a GM LH6 into a 5er.

The twist is that the LH6 (Part of the LS1 family) has Displacement on Demand, knocking out 4 cylinders in light throttle situations.

It also has drive-by-wire. Who said all LS1 swaps were lo-tech?

Until I found this, I had dismissed all these 5.3L engines as "just truck engines", but the development money lately has been going into SUVs, so it stands to reason they'd have something like this.

OK, so it's 295HP vs. 325-350 stock for the Corvette/Camaro/Trans Am version of the LS1, but with tuning, it has about the same potential. These engines have always responded well to the "little" things: Ported heads and intake, headers, ECU remapping. No FI or NOS required. I think 400 HP should be relatively easy to reach, and the other great thing about these V8s is the nice, flat torque curve.

I'm looking for a new engine for one of my E34s, and this engine just made the wish list for me.

What do you guys think? Is Displacement on Demand a gimmick? Or good tech? Is it another VANOS-problem-in the making? Also, what do you think of the videos? (I'm not involved with GeezerGarage at all, just trying to start a discussion.)

rao
02-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Displacement on demand is good technology (all LS2 blocks support it) but I am not sure the benefits outweight the costs in a swap.

stowe9man
02-02-2007, 11:08 AM
Cool, I am half way into the first video. It is clear that the guy has good knowledge of the engine and the GM cars that it has been in. but his BMW knowledge seems to be a bit lacking... 1997 535is? :confused

autophile
02-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Cool, I am half way into the first video. It is clear that the guy has good knowledge of the engine and the GM cars that it has been in. but his BMW knowledge seems to be a bit lacking... 1997 535is? :confused

Yeah, I'm waiting for video of the actual car. I'm pretty sure it will be an E39 due to the year, but the rest ...

I hope he gets the rest of the videos up soon.

Mistermotorist
02-02-2007, 11:55 AM
subscribed - waiting for part 6 and so on

sausrigging
02-02-2007, 01:21 PM
he says early model and stated the weight to be around 3200# so that means e28.

scabzzzz
02-02-2007, 01:52 PM
I dunno about you guys, but I love my BMW and I love its technology. But man oh man, large displacement high performance muscle tickles my fancy. It seems to be the best of both worlds.

1GeezersGarage
02-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Hey everyone, I'm the guy in the videos. Sorry about my brain and my mouth not communicating properly--it's a "geezer" thing. I should have said I'm working on a 1987 535is. Yes, it's an E28. I was all set to trial-fit the engine and we got hit with a huge ice storm and the sliding doors to my shop are frozen shut. I'll be sharing progress reports and I'm certainly open to any and all advice and suggestions. We're making this up as we go.

DILYSI Dave
02-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Welcome Geezer!

scabzzzz
02-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Im pretty stoked about these videos. My car used to have an s52 that was sold to make room for an ls1 but that wasnt cost effective. Now my buddy and me are going to put an ls1 into an s14 body style 240sx. Woohoo !

autophile
02-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Welcome Geezer!

We demand pics of the E28! :evil2

Looks like a great project. Are you planning to leave the LH6 basically stock or will you reprogram the ECM? Also, is it a 4-speed or 5-speed auto?

Mistermotorist
02-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Welcome, Geezer!

Those of us on the boards who are interested in LS-1-7 swaps are looking forward to your series (of course,there are also members who disapprove of non-BMW motors in our cars). A lot of folks have started similar projects, but most of them just seem to fizzle out. An LS-1 seems like a great upgrade for an aging BMW. On with the show!

1GeezersGarage
02-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Here are a few more details:
1. I'm leaving the ECM programming basically stock for now. I had the VATS removed and the proper gear ratio and tire circumference plugged in. I figure 300HP or so will be enough for now. That might change when I find a limited slip diff.
2. The trans is a 2WD (obviously) 4-speed OD 4L60E out of a Chevy pickup. I may need to have the TCM reprogrammed to give firmer, quicker shifts but I thought I'd wait and see. It could be that the torque management for a 4500 lb. vehicle will actually work better in a 3200 lb. one. Or it might actually be mushier. Time will tell.

autophile
02-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Hope you get those doors thawed out soon and can get another video uploaded!

300 HP + 3200 lbs. = FUN

1GeezersGarage
02-03-2007, 11:09 AM
I just posted another video over on YouTube about putting a 5.3 into my 535iS. This one shows how I rigged up a fuel system for the test stand.

I apparently don't have enough posts here to show you the link, so go to YouTube, search for "BMW conversion". The latest one is Segment 6.

DILYSI Dave
02-03-2007, 11:27 AM
I just posted another video over on YouTube about putting a 5.3 into my 535iS. This one shows how I rigged up a fuel system for the test stand.

I apparently don't have enough posts here to show you the link, so go to YouTube, search for "BMW conversion". The latest one is Segment 6.

The good thing about this swap is that you can just swap the "3" and the "5" in the emblem and make it a properly labeled 553iS. :)

Thaniel
02-03-2007, 03:52 PM

This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNQ06Adb61A

Mrel
02-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Yup. Thats it.

Just a FYI Geezergarage. My friend here in Portland sells ton's of BMW parts and has several e28 Limited slip differentials for sale. 3.25 2.91 3.73 and I think a 3.46 , all are LSD.

1GeezersGarage
02-04-2007, 11:49 PM
With 330 ft. lbs. of torque from the 5.3 engine, I'm sure I'll need a limited slip. How can I get in touch with your friend to get details on condition and price?
Geezer

sausrigging
02-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Quite a few e28's were optioned with a lsd, you shouldnt expect to have to pay too much..

rao
02-06-2007, 12:05 PM
I just had some time to watch the videos - great stuff.

:handclap

arakele
02-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Definitely an interesting project, and welcome Geezer!

I briefly thought about doing a similar swap to my e34.

2002maniac
02-08-2007, 09:16 PM
What are VATS and CM? SOunds like a fun project. Displacement on demand is pretty cool!

MWrench
02-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Hey geezer-- would like to talk with you about your LS engine into a E28. I am doing a LS6 into a E24 and we could share ideas if you would like. My engine should be in the car next week, just finishing the headers now, engine mounts have been fabricated, just some clutch work and I should be ready to fire her up.

If you would like, send me you contact info and I will call/email you on return.

ed@mwrench.com
http://www.mwrench.com/m6v8/

Ed

PJ325i
02-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Cool project guys. . . .Keep up the good work . . .and pics!!

BimmerBoyZ3
02-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Seems LS swaps are the new craze.

Better take up a defense against the purist. :rolleyes

MWrench
02-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Really can't get that kind of HP from any other engine and aftermarket parts are really CHEEEEP!

If I could get =HP from any BMW engine as easily as the LS series I would be the first in line. just not the case!

LS engine are lighter also!

MWrench
02-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Should have saId "power for money" sorry

Just finished the right side manifold today, need to do more work on the left one to get more clearance around the steering box. Should have the engine in next week
http://www.mwrench.com/m6v8/exhaust/rightside.jpg
left side
http://www.mwrench.com/m6v8/exhaust/leftside.jpg

tekviper
02-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Awesome work Geezer, can't want to watch this come together :cool

JoeZ
02-10-2007, 08:22 AM
What are VATS and CM? SOunds like a fun project. Displacement on demand is pretty cool!

VATS Vehicle Anti-Theft System
PCM Powertrain Control Module

BigM62
02-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Should have saId "power for money" sorry

Just finished the right side manifold today, need to do more work on the left one to get more clearance around the steering box. Should have the engine in next week
http://www.mwrench.com/m6v8/exhaust/rightside.jpg
left side
http://www.mwrench.com/m6v8/exhaust/leftside.jpg

You are in Los Gatos?I need your help PLEASE!!I am staying in Marin.Awesome freeking work.Edit:I keep coming back to this picture and just stare at it.

1GeezersGarage
02-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Quick note to 2002Maniac:
VATS stands for Vehicle Anti Theft System--prevents hot wiring, has to be programmed out of the ECM or Engine Control Module. TCM is Transmission
Control Module, PCM is Powertrain Control Module. It's all "GM Speak".

BigM62
02-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Quick note to 2002Maniac:
VATS stands for Vehicle Anti Theft System--prevents hot wiring, has to be programmed out of the ECM or Engine Control Module. TCM is Transmission
Control Module, PCM is Powertrain Control Module. It's all "GM Speak".

I now know what GM stands for.........Great Motors:buttrock

HE53
02-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Hey everyone, I'm the guy in the videos. Sorry about my brain and my mouth not communicating properly--it's a "geezer" thing. I should have said I'm working on a 1987 535is. Yes, it's an E28. I was all set to trial-fit the engine and we got hit with a huge ice storm and the sliding doors to my shop are frozen shut. I'll be sharing progress reports and I'm certainly open to any and all advice and suggestions. We're making this up as we go.

Could I come over some time and check this out? srsly. My goal for the summer to to get all the swap stuff together for one of my e34's.

e28535ismjl
02-20-2007, 10:21 AM
so this has got my attiontion big time. I love my e28 535is but it needs more power and must conversions are extremly exspensive and turbos on bmw are great just also tight fit but I have found few baby ls1 engines and i wanted to know if you have any ideas in how to keep it a manual transmisson car. I love my stick shifts i hate driving automatics to easy. also for time being i am going to carburate my engine for time being until I get yht FI i want with some kinda boost once get the fitments right hand find the weak points in the car.

autophile
02-20-2007, 12:11 PM
so this has got my attiontion big time. I love my e28 535is but it needs more power and must conversions are extremly exspensive and turbos on bmw are great just also tight fit but I have found few baby ls1 engines and i wanted to know if you have any ideas in how to keep it a manual transmisson car. I love my stick shifts i hate driving automatics to easy. also for time being i am going to carburate my engine for time being until I get yht FI i want with some kinda boost once get the fitments right hand find the weak points in the car.

There are 5 and 6 speed manual transmissions that bolt up to an LS1. The six speed is called a T56. And where did you find a carburated LS1? LT1 maybe?

rao
02-20-2007, 12:29 PM
You can buy carb intakes for the LS1.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/man_chevy_ls1.html

DILYSI Dave
02-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Putting a carb on an LS1 is like putting a burlap sack on Jessica Simpson. Sure you could do it, but why?

SPElectronics
02-20-2007, 02:29 PM
SPEED Channel, or Spike should pick you up for a series Geezer! Just your first video alone was better than some of the other "garage" shows those channels carry.

I can't wait to see the rest of the videos in the series, and especially can't wait to see the finished project!

Keep up the good work.

millertimebmw03
02-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Me Tooo, Put Geezer On Spike Tv Now!

M3Rob95
02-20-2007, 06:26 PM
he said cast iron block in the first vid, and all aluminum in second...

lorkar
02-20-2007, 06:38 PM
We need more Geezers! I'm pregeezer now. Its just a matter of time. This is great stuff!

Shoe Coupe
02-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Geezer! this is amazing!!!

Shoe Coupe
02-20-2007, 08:18 PM
did you see the smile on geezer's face when the engine started up in segment 2?

this is a great video series! keep up the good work!

atl530i
02-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Excellent work.

1GeezersGarage
02-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Geezer here.

Aw shucks guys, you're making me blush. I really do appreciate the feedback and it's been a lot of fun making new friends and sharing emails. That's what's so great about these forums--building a real sense of community.

And a quick note to M3Rob95 in post #41--Yeah, I screw up sometimes, like calling my 1987 a 1997. And what I meant to say is that most 5.3's are cast iron blocks but many of the later SUV's and some pickups are now all-aluminum and that's what I have. Those guys on TV have scripts and outtakes. I'm wingin' it.

BTW, I've started a blog. There isn't much there yet cause I'm having trouble getting photos to post correctly. But check in once in a while at 1geezersgarage.com.

And remember, we're all in this Geezer thing:
30-something, you're a Rookie Geezer
40-something, you're a Junior Geezer
50-something, you're an Apprentice Geezer
60-something, you're a Journeyman Geezer
70-something, you're a Professional Geezer
80-something, you're a Geezer Emeritus

rao
02-21-2007, 10:10 PM
"Geezer Emeritus" :lol

LexdiamonNYC
02-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Hey Geezer, first welcome to BFc this is an awesome community, some knucle heads, but lots of very knowledgeable people aswell.........

thanx for sharing your projects with us.........
I've been doing alot of research on bmw/ls1 swaps myself and hope to start one soon....
you probably know this, but just in case...
www.ls1tech.com
is a very good forum, they have an excellent "conversions" section.....
lots of swaps going on over there all the time .....not just ls1, but the whole family.....like what you're doing.....
here's one from ls1tech.......unfortunately the guy's kid got ahold of the car and totaled it:(
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/redmistmotorsports/Dead%20557/cheesecake001.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/redmistmotorsports/Dead%20557/complete044.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/redmistmotorsports/Dead%20557/complete001.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/redmistmotorsports/Dead%20557/complete013.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/redmistmotorsports/Dead%20557/cheesecake003.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/redmistmotorsports/Dead%20557/cheesecake002.jpg

anyway, definately looking forward to seeing your progress!!!

ps....these guys are picture addicts!!! i hope you have a good digital camera handy!!!!

pss......i demand pix of the e28 or ban!!!!!:D

HE53
02-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Geezer here.

Aw shucks guys, you're making me blush. I really do appreciate the feedback and it's been a lot of fun making new friends and sharing emails. That's what's so great about these forums--building a real sense of community.

And a quick note to M3Rob95 in post #41--Yeah, I screw up sometimes, like calling my 1987 a 1997. And what I meant to say is that most 5.3's are cast iron blocks but many of the later SUV's and some pickups are now all-aluminum and that's what I have. Those guys on TV have scripts and outtakes. I'm wingin' it.

BTW, I've started a blog. There isn't much there yet cause I'm having trouble getting photos to post correctly. But check in once in a while at 1geezersgarage.com.

And remember, we're all in this Geezer thing:
30-something, you're a Rookie Geezer
40-something, you're a Junior Geezer
50-something, you're an Apprentice Geezer
60-something, you're a Journeyman Geezer
70-something, you're a Professional Geezer
80-something, you're a Geezer EmeritusCan I come check out your project some time? My big goal for one of my e34's is to put an LS1 in it within the next year.

1GeezersGarage
02-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Hey KesslerBMW,
Come on down. I'm only 130 miles south of KC. PM me for phone and directions.
Geezer

fzust
02-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Geezer,

Do you know the weight difference between stock and the new 5.3? I am guessing it is not as bad as many think.

Thanks!

1GeezersGarage
02-24-2007, 10:16 AM
The following weights may not be completely accurate because we used two sets of bathroom scales and weighed one or two corners at a time. Since we used the same method for both the old engine and the new, the relative difference should be in the ball park.

The following includes engine, transmission, all front accessories such as PS pump, AC compressor, alternator:

3.5L BMW with ZF 4H22--610 lbs.
5.3 GM with 4L60E--670 lbs.

60 lbs. is less than the swing from a full to empty tank of gas so I don't think it will make much difference is handling or braking. And there's always the option of moving the battery to the trunk--40 lbs. or so off the front and added to the rear would actually net to a rearward cg.

smiller
02-27-2007, 06:22 PM
This is great! I found a link and watched the videos a couple of weeks ago and I've looked at everything i could find from MWrench. I've been wanting to do an LS2 into e24 for a while now and bought my car with that in mind. Now i'm finally getting some good feedback concerning the issues. Regarding headers. I believe hooker now makes a titetubes block hugging header for the LS1 family. would that alleviate some of the problems?

smiller
02-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Pardon me. I guess the "titetubes" are a headman product. they do make a block hugger for the LS1 as does Hooker, but not the "titetubes" version yet.

atl530i
03-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I took a quick screen shot, the best one of all the videos, lol. Waiting on more clips though :)

TommyV
03-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Geezer,

I'm in Cape Girardeau, MO, but my Sister-out-law lives in Springfield. I'll PM you next time we're headed that way. I'd love to see your project up close and personal. We've been working on my son's 98 M3 (it got vandalized and we bought it to fix up) and it's got me fired up about doing a bimmer/V8 project. I've done a few vintage dirt bike restores including engine work and it's wet my appetite.

Tommy (subscribed)

douglasm5
03-06-2007, 01:37 AM
When the car shows first appeared on TV, like most of my friends I watched every segment. But it wasn't long before I realized they were all about acting and had almost no worthwhile content.

For example, how could you have a show called "Horsepower TV" without a dyno? Yes, now they have two but it's taken years.

If 1geezersgarage were a TV show, both of my Tivo's would be recording it just in case one of them failed.

I have an e28 M5 that I've spent an irresponsible amount of money trying to turbocharge in search of more power (yes, I have a Dinan system but it was 80's technology and didn't give me what I'm looking for.)

Kudos to you Wayne and thanks for taking the time to share your experiences!

Keep 'em coming!

autophile
03-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Just watched 7 & 8.

Thanks again Wayne. Keep up the good work and keep us ALL smiling!

Just one question / suggestion (that may save your guilty pleasure in the coming weeks). Why not use a styrofoam block version of the engine for test fitting? I'm sure there are LSx versions out there. Is there not one available that would approximate an LH6?

rao
03-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Just watched 7 & 8.

Thanks again Wayne. Keep up the good work and keep us ALL smiling!

Just one question / suggestion (that may save your guilty pleasure in the coming weeks). Why not use a styrofoam block version of the engine for test fitting? I'm sure there are LSx versions out there. Is there not one available that would approximate an LH6?

Sure there are, but what's the fun in that :lol

autophile
03-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Sure there are, but what's the fun in that :lol

I know it's not QUITE AS MUCH fun as moving a 200+lb. engine over the grill, but I'd be willing to give it a try.

The oilpan/crank line is pure genius! I'll bet that cuts down on the number of times he has to install/remove the engine for this swap.

Can't wait to see this beast run!

1GeezersGarage
03-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the encouragement.

I know from experience that big projects like this can sometimes stall out due to work, family, life, money and general discouragement when we hit a pothole. You guys are keeping a positive pressure on me to keep this effort moving.

Quick update: I got the GTO oil pan installed last night. I first thought I was getting some interference between the internal oil filter lines and the windage tray. After some further prying and lining holes up with a drift punch, everything fell into place.

I also just received a set of motor mount brackets our good buddy MWrench made for me, duplicating what he has in his 6 series. And Bavarian AutoSport delivered a pair of new rubber motor mount isolators. Plus, one of my gearhead buddies is coming over Saturday to help hoist the beast into the engine bay and onto those new mounts. Definitely a photo and video op I'll share next week.

Note to Autophile re the foam mockups--P-Ayr has an LS1 block and heads package but I'd rather spend $375 on other stuff right now. If I was going to do a bunch of swaps it would definitely be worth it.

1GeezersGarage
03-11-2007, 08:44 PM
It's in!

The 5.3 is in the engine bay and thanks to Ed (MWrench), it's sitting on engine mounts and new isolators.

Things learned:
1. Passenger side Camaro manifold clears frame rail and exits just where needed.
2. As suspected, driver's side is tight. We experimented with the SUV passenger side manifold on the driver's side just to test the idea of a front exit, front cross-over pipe. Might work. Clears the steering box. PS outlet would need a 90 degree fitting. Manifold heat shield just barely kisses the master cylinder. Would be an easy mod.
3. We knew the SUV intake and alternator would stick above the hood line--now we know how much. Here's a question: Would you change over to a passenger intake, which means all new front accessory brackets and waterpump, OR, would you build a cowl induction hood scoop?

Some photos attached, more to follow.
Geezer

1GeezersGarage
03-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Here are some more pix showing clearance or lack of, in some cases.

millertimebmw03
03-11-2007, 09:32 PM
I can't wait to see the ending of this project!

rao
03-11-2007, 10:07 PM
It's in!

The 5.3 is in the engine bay and thanks to Ed (MWrench), it's sitting on engine mounts and new isolators.

Things learned:
1. Passenger side Camaro manifold clears frame rail and exits just where needed.
2. As suspected, driver's side is tight. We experimented with the SUV passenger side manifold on the driver's side just to test the idea of a front exit, front cross-over pipe. Might work. Clears the steering box. PS outlet would need a 90 degree fitting. Manifold heat shield just barely kisses the master cylinder. Would be an easy mod.
3. We knew the SUV intake and alternator would stick above the hood line--now we know how much. Here's a question: Would you change over to a passenger intake, which means all new front accessory brackets and waterpump, OR, would you build a cowl induction hood scoop?

Some photos attached, more to follow.
Geezer

Nice progress!

I would change over to F-body accessories (assuming they will fit. You aren't going to want that truck intake manifold either. I'd go with a regular LS1 intake manifold if you aren't going to go crazy with heads and cam, etc.

smiller
03-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Keep it up geezer. As much as i like the LSx engine, i wouldn't want it sticking thru the hood. Half the fun of doing this is being invisible. I just bought a 2nd 635 just for the swap. I'm shopping for a GTO engine/trans now. Between you and Ed, we should have a working kit by summer! If you can just get that driver's side manifold figured out...

autophile
03-13-2007, 01:28 AM
Keep it up geezer. As much as i like the LSx engine, i wouldn't want it sticking thru the hood. Half the fun of doing this is being invisible. I just bought a 2nd 635 just for the swap. I'm shopping for a GTO engine/trans now. Between you and Ed, we should have a working kit by summer! If you can just get that driver's side manifold figured out...

+1

capkrk
03-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Anyone thinking of doing this I would suggest buying a replica engine from Dean Payr (payr.com). I use both the LT1 and LS1. It makes it a whole lot easier to mock stuff up. Last year I sent him a T56 with both bellhousings to mold up so replica LT1 and LS1 T56's will be available soon.

Jim

JoeZ
03-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Anyone thinking of doing this I would suggest buying a replica engine from Dean Payr (payr.com). I use both the LT1 and LS1. It makes it a whole lot easier to mock stuff up. Last year I sent him a T56 with both bellhousings to mold up so replica LT1 and LS1 T56's will be available soon.

Jim

I used p-ayr block when testing mounts and headers with my project, and would also highly recommend this route. I was able to resell it on LS1Tech within a day or so of listing it once I was sure everythign was giong to fit.

rao
03-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Having the T56's would be great !!!

capkrk
03-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Having the T56's would be great !!!

Call Dean at Payr and keep bugging him....he's tired of hearing from me. :D

smiller
03-17-2007, 11:58 AM
So Geezer; when can we look forward to the next episode. this isn't like American chopper where i can get a fix each week... I'm picking up the new 6 on thursday, be back fri. then i'll assess which one is a transplant candidate.

SPElectronics
03-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Excellent! Keep up the great work, and keep the progress reports coming. Definitely MORE VIDS!

Hoping to start an E30 swap sometime in the near future, but I'm probably going to put my aluminum V8 out of my Range Rover into it, since I already have it.

motorhead0922
03-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi, everyone. I joined this forum so I could see all of Wayne's posted photos, and now it's reminding me that I've never posted. So here goes.

I'm the guy who is helping Wayne swing the 5.3 into the 553 (its new name). He should have received his new video software yesterday, and if so, expect new videos on youtube real soon. He'll be out of town after Tuesday so I'm thinking his camera may be being used today.

Ken

smiller
03-19-2007, 09:48 AM
THanks for the update, Motorhead. I talked to a friend yesterday with LOTS of header/welding experience. He doesn't think the left side header would be too difficult. he suggested a boat style setup with the front tube running back and the others just tieing into it. as an alternate to equal length or smoother headers, he says it will lose just a few HP, but be easy (translate to cheap) to do and it isn't like we cant afford to drop 5hp! If you are interested, you might send up some pictures so he can get a good idea of the situation, and we'll run down some day. he can get some measurements and weld up a trial unit. if it works, he can smooth it out and we can run a few off and have them JetCoated.

MWrench
03-19-2007, 03:24 PM
Not quite that easy! If it is run down from the front, the head pipe would run right next to the alternator, virtually along the entire back side of it, then it would have to turn back and run thru the motor mount and along the entire length of the steering box, over the top of the pitman arm, and out the back.

Can't run down under the cross member, would be way to low.

I was trying to finish the drivers side yesterday but made a mistake and got one of the pipes uncomfortably close (again) to the steering box. Once I have finished I will post pictures. When done, I will have enough clearance between the steering box for a suitable SS heat shield and maybe even some heat wrap around the header pipes.

I am using 1.6 ID pipe for my construction which is much thicker then standard 18 or 16 gauge that most make headers out of, I intend to do this just once, and I don't like "header rattle" with thinner material. With the thicker material I can fill and smooth the welds and they look like cast pieces.

HTH

smiller
03-19-2007, 03:57 PM
RATS, i sure wish you didn't know what you were talking about, too bad you obviously do..I'd like this to be EASY.. doesn't sound like it's going to be. keep it up and keep us posted! what have you done to integrate the LS1 ECM with the OBC for tach, etc?

MWrench
03-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Here is the first attempt, found it to close to the steering box so I cut it up and started again, but you will get the idea from this what you deal with on the drivers side. The 2X6 simulates the frame rail, much easier to do it out of the car then in.

http://www.mwrench.com/m6v8/exhaust/leftside1.jpg

smiller
03-19-2007, 04:19 PM
OUCH, might be easier to convert the steering to Drive-by-Wire!!! or just turn the headers up and blast them out the hood like a ProStock! (wouldn't THAT be a lovely thought?) I understand there's a guy out west who is an expert on E24 steering boxes, maybe he could help you.... Oh Wait... That IS you!! Good luck, I still want to do this. looks like more fun than a turbo and i'm not sure my ZF could even take moderate turbo power.

motorhead0922
03-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Mwrench, Wayne and I were thinking that it would help a lot to shift the engine 1/2" toward the passenger side. Also, it looks like running the drivers side exhaust pipe under the crossmember, in the lower control arm bushing vicinity is do-able. What do you think?

MWrench
03-20-2007, 12:55 AM
I looked at moving the engine over a bit but I have the T56 6 speed and have beat out the tunnel all I can for clearance. I could move the front of the engine over but then the driveline runs at an angle, not good! I do not know how much clearance you will have with the autobox, maybe enough to move it over abit.

I suppose the exhaust could be run under the cross member but that is the low point on the car already, I don't think that would be real sanitary!

I will have the necessary clearance around the steering box when I finish my latest version. If one were to use thin wall tubing, it wouldn't be all that bad, much easier to work with then what I am using! Could use 1 3/4 inch tubing and that would give a bit more clearance then I have, I am using 1.9" OD pipe (schedule 40) and that has an ID of 1.6", tight radius elbows are from McMaster-Carr. Found schedule 10 after I had purchased all the material.

Once I have finish, I will post a 360 degree view and that should give a clue how to go about it. Passenger's side is a piece of cake, should flow well, the "tri-wy" is perfect matching, the drivers side is NOT as good, I should have 1+5, & 3+7 joined but that is impossible, so I had to do a 1+3, & 5+7, In the scheme of things it probably will not be noticeable.

Say hi to Wayne for me!

triggrhaapi
03-20-2007, 02:15 AM
Absolutely amazing project. I really can't wait to see how the DoD works out and see it in the car most of all.

Frenchguy
03-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Hi everyone,

just wanted to give Wayne props for his awesome project. Keep it up man ! Can't wait to see the next video.

Good luck !

Eloys540i
03-24-2007, 08:32 PM
LS motor in e28!! Holy mother of horsepower. My first car was a 82 528e. I can't even imagine what that would feel like with a small block v8. Can't wait to see the final setup. If you need a 97 e39 to tinker with, just let me know.

motorhead0922
03-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Check it out! The engine is in the 535!

1GeezersGarage
03-29-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks Motorhead. Evidently I still don't have enough juice to post a link but just drop over to YouTube and search for Geezers Garage and look for Segment 9.
The Geezer

triggrhaapi
03-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Lookin good!

Thaniel
04-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Love the engine cover :D

Here is the first attempt, found it to close to the steering box so I cut it up and started again, but you will get the idea from this what you deal with on the drivers side. The 2X6 simulates the frame rail, much easier to do it out of the car then in.

http://www.mwrench.com/m6v8/exhaust/leftside1.jpg

HE53
04-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Hopefully I'll slow down up here and be able to make it down some time soon. :(

RagnarDanskjold
04-19-2007, 12:41 AM
I may have to join you for the trip, Brady. This screams Tech Session...

HE53
04-19-2007, 08:45 AM
I may have to join you for the trip, Brady. This screams Tech Session...

Sounds good to me, you know this is what I want to do with my car... :devillook

1GeezersGarage
04-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Hey, you KC guys.
I've got new stuff to show you if you make it to Stockton. I'll be out of town April 27-30 but should be available most any weekend after that.
The Geezer

htrdbmr
04-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Wow! Like watching Mr. Wizard when I was a kid! ( I guess that makes me a "Geezer" too) Nice work.

dynamowhum
04-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Waiting some what patiently for next installment. Love this type of stuff.

Thaniel
04-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks Motorhead. Evidently I still don't have enough juice to post a link but just drop over to YouTube and search for Geezers Garage and look for Segment 9.
The Geezer

Need to make more posts. I think you need 100 to post pics and links. It's easy to rack up posts in one of the general forums. Especially if you start a thread there and respond to all the comments :D

autophile
04-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Looking forward to vid #10!

Le Nitro
04-23-2007, 11:12 PM
1997 535is?, seems like a knowledgeable guy, but he cant accurately say the model hes putting it in...dumbass

phillyM
04-23-2007, 11:44 PM
1997 535is?, seems like a knowledgeable guy, but he cant accurately say the model hes putting it in...dumbass

So he slipped up the decade once? The guy is being generous enough to record and explain all this stuff for us, give him a break. This engine swap sub-forum is one of my new favorite spots to check on the site. I'm excited to see part 10.

Captain Morgan
04-24-2007, 12:13 AM

wow, way to insult someone for making a simple mistake :rolleyes

RagnarDanskjold
04-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Hey, you KC guys.
I've got new stuff to show you if you make it to Stockton. I'll be out of town April 27-30 but should be available most any weekend after that.
The Geezer

I've seen the first two videos and love them! I'm afraid that if I come down (especially with Brady) I'll get sucked in to a time sinkhole and find myself unable to leave. So many questions...

But I'm definitely keen on a nice spring road trip for such an invitation.
:)

-Wrench Münky
(good spanner and wiring man. stereoscopic vision. opposable thumbs. absorbent forebrain.)

rao
04-24-2007, 08:28 AM

:eek: :mad

Wow. You are very annoying.

garretvs
04-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi From Garret & Steve doing E30-LS1. One of the reasons to do such a cool conversion is just to make the "German Engineering at its Finest" guys pissed off. After all, there aren't any German or Japanese footprints on the moon.

BTW, you M20 guys: what happens when the heater hose attached to the aft end of the cylinder head goes ....... you can't even see it, much less get at it ...... ever change the clutch master cylinder in an E30 ........ etc

smiller
05-04-2007, 04:07 PM
COME ON GEEZER! I'm waiting for the next installment! You should submit to Discovery Channel and have them send a film crew (and a big budget!);)

323I Junkie
05-13-2007, 01:52 PM
This is perhaps one of BFC's best threads. I really like the psychology behind this conversion. And to aquote a very knowledgable BMW employee I know, "The GM V8 is one of the biggest embarassments to european engines in history"

rock on man, :buttrock:

motorhead0922
06-10-2007, 05:29 PM
The Geezer has posted episode 11 on youtube.

BTW, he already knows about the tube slipping when he tacked it.

ModenaM3
06-12-2007, 12:11 AM
This guy rocks.

1GeezersGarage
06-17-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks to all you guys for being patient. Between the day job and keeping up with lawn care and honey-do's, I haven't had as much time in the shop as I'd like.

I'm in the middle of making another set of engine mounts. The one's I got from MWrench push the engine closer to the firewall and the heater valve than I like, plus, I want some flexibility in moving the engine and trans toward the passenger side. Somewhere between 1/2" to 3/4" will make a big difference.

I'll post pix when I finish the prototypes.

one bad duramax
09-24-2011, 06:50 AM
MWRENCE IS THE MAN nice work!!!!!!!!