PDA

View Full Version : no one wants to swap my motor?

lilflipM42
02-01-2007, 09:15 AM
ok so I live in Northern Virginia and have finally planned to swap this 4 banger out....I emailed a bunch of shops to get some quotes and to see who would accomodate me the best....As I live in Asburn...I contacted RRT...they are great guys but I had called them back in November and they had a motor for me and wanted to do it but I unfortunately did not have the money at that time....so they probably either sold it or used it on one of their cars by now....but they never got back to me twice now...(within the past 1.5 months)

I contacted RRT, Martin Motorsports, Funktion Auto, Autoy....but no one has responded for 3 days...weird they all must be busy....

I am in the process of buying a home and I will have money left over from closing to buy this motor and pay for the labor to put the baby in....if anyone knows of anyone who will do it or if YOU VENDORS read this...please hit me back....I trying to get some quotes and I am serious about doing this...

Also if anyone has any other info I may need to do this...i.e. which parts I should replace...I already have Jim Leach's manaul and it is amazing but i know there are other things he may have left out...and there are sh*tloads of posts on this...but from the smarter people I want advice...

I know...I might as well buy an M3...but insurance on one car is better than paying for 2....and parting with my car is not an option...its my baby like yours is yours....thanks for all who help...

Dat Avus
02-01-2007, 03:47 PM
wait for vorshlag to finish, then purchase the parts for the ls1 swap.

dswads34
02-01-2007, 04:49 PM
+1
If you are out for balls-to-the-wall performance and relatively cheap mods, do the ls1 swap. The engine is lighter, sits farther back in the engine bay (and lower), and you have a lot more displacement to play with! I believe the kit for it is 4k... can't remember who sells it off-hand though. If you want to stick to bmw, I can't fault you for that either (it's why we bought our cars to begin with, right?)

JoeZ
02-01-2007, 06:54 PM
+1
If you are out for balls-to-the-wall performance and relatively cheap mods, do the ls1 swap. The engine is lighter, sits farther back in the engine bay (and lower), and you have a lot more displacement to play with! I believe the kit for it is 4k... can't remember who sells it off-hand though. If you want to stick to bmw, I can't fault you for that either (it's why we bought our cars to begin with, right?)

Mike Collins sells/sold a kit for $6500. I'm not sure if he is still making kits, but if he is I can vouch for the quality of his pieces. I used a bunch of pieces from his kit for my project and it came out great, not to mention Mike was extremely helpful throughout the build:buttrock

sausrigging
02-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Kit plus engine right? I have read figures of around 15k to get an ls1 in any bimmer.

lilflipM42
02-02-2007, 08:51 AM
i would love to put american muscle in to a car....but not my car fellas...im sticking with BMW motors....thats why i love the car...thanks for the input tho....i gotta keep it euro.....plus it sounds cheaper than the builds you guys are talking about...i like the $3 to $5 grand range (including labor)....and still be able to get it serviced at a dealership..in the event of a problem...maybe when i buy another e36...

lilflipM42
02-02-2007, 09:24 AM
oh btw RRT contacted me and im sure i will be dealing with them...thanks all...also any advice on what i should look out for when i get this done and when i go bring my car in and speak with them about my options....

autophile
02-02-2007, 10:25 AM
So what engine are you going with? Stock, or an M?

JoeZ
02-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Kit plus engine right? I have read figures of around 15k to get an ls1 in any bimmer.

Kit + engine + transmission + differntial mount/subframe reinforcement + little things like brakes, motor mount bushings, gaskets, plug wires, gauges and senders.....I could keep going but you get the idea.

PTGHP
02-02-2007, 12:57 PM
What engine are you installing?

sausrigging
02-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Kit + engine + transmission + differntial mount/subframe reinforcement + little things like brakes, motor mount bushings, gaskets, plug wires, gauges and senders.....I could keep going but you get the idea.

Yeah, I savy.

lilflipM42
02-02-2007, 03:34 PM
s50 along with a list of things to replace to ensure reliability and performance...

autophile
02-02-2007, 05:17 PM
s50 along with a list of things to replace to ensure reliability and performance...

So, we're looking at about $4k for an LS1/6. What's your budget for an S50? Are you getting a new trans, too? Budget?

Also, what quotes are you getting for the labor, parts, fabrication, etc?

kxl77
02-02-2007, 05:37 PM
If you're willing to come to NY, I have someone I could recommend to you.

Young Guns
02-02-2007, 09:49 PM
I work at a high performance fabrication shop and do this sort of thing all the time. We do lots of BMW's and lots of LS motors. I recently started my own shop where i work part time. If you are interested in getting this done by someone with experience and examples of work they have done email me and i can talk to you about some options. Mynumberis21@aol.com