PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a vert motor

antmantbone
01-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Hello all,

New member here with a 99 323ic. Apparently the previous owner tried to move the top manually and stripped part of the gearing in the motor. Do you know of any cars that are being parted, or of a place that would have gently used/refurbished parts for a vert?

Thanks for your help!

johnnybad1
02-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Lots of these on eBay stores. Dime a dozen type thing.

MParallel
02-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Just in case...are you sure that is what happened? How you know it's the gearing? Do you here the motors spin, but does the top not move?

Check under the rear seats on the left side and see if the emergency handle is pulled.

In case of an error or whatever problem, you can pull the emergency handle and this will disconnect the motors from their gears, so the top can be manually closed.

So you might only need to push the motors back and resync them.

antmantbone
02-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Just in case...are you sure that is what happened? How you know it's the gearing? Do you here the motors spin, but does the top not move?

Actually the only way I know that the gears are stripped is the BMW dealer worked for 6 hours to try and get it to sit properly in the boot. They found out that the problem was the motor wasn't grabbing properly.

MParallel
02-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Actually the only way I know that the gears are stripped is the BMW dealer worked for 6 hours to try and get it to sit properly in the boot. They found out that the problem was the motor wasn't grabbing properly.

Tough luck man. :(

palomino
02-02-2007, 10:15 PM
try local auto dismantlers, hopefully there is a one nearby that specializes in BMWs.

antmantbone
02-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Tough luck man.

Oh well....guess I knew there would be some start-up costs with an 8 year old car. I'm guessing that it will be worth the extra bucks now to be cruising when it gets warmer!

antmantbone
02-02-2007, 10:34 PM
try local auto dismantlers, hopefully there is a one nearby that specializes in BMWs.

Yeah, I've tried a few import salvage places. None of them have a convertible in. One guy didn't believe me that the 1999 convertible was an E36, I had to tell him two or three times - needless to say he wasn't much of a help.

Looks like I'm going to have to order the part.

I found a place - germanparts.com that has the motor for 350 shipped. Seems like my best bet.