PDA

View Full Version : Just swapped the Continentals w/ Kumho Ecsta ASX tonight!

dieseldriver99
01-25-2007, 09:13 PM
I just want to share the experience with all you VERT lovers out there. When I first bought the used 328iC, steering wheel would vibrate. Not only that, it would kind of feel funny when making turns, steering response was weird.

I had very little tread left front and rear so I bought 4 sets of Kumho Ecsta ASX's from TireRack.com. Each was $47 and with shipping, it came out to like $223. So far, all my VW's have Kumho's on them and have been very happy. Wear is even, and lasted almost 40K miles on the Jetta, so I was pretty excited to put them on.

I went to NTB or Tire Kingdom on Route 1 South in Princeton, person at the counter was very courteous, took down my information, and told me it would be about 30-40 minutes. Sure enough, work was ready in about 30 minutes. I had swapped the fron passenger side rim with the spare one since they were same. It had abrasions on it.

After I paid the guy about $66, I drove home. I was expecting some kind of improvement but... OMG!! I hear the engine rumbling very vividly, and faint wind noise. But the road noise... almost not existing.. and the handling, nice, no more weird steering response, and it rides PERFECT!

All I can say don't take my word for it, TRY IT!

Al,

I'll give you a ride on my new Kumho's - wonderful!

amancuso
01-26-2007, 07:56 AM
Sounds great! I'd like to see how they compare with my new continental sport tires.

dieseldriver99
01-26-2007, 08:41 AM
I bought these after reading some excellent Feedback from customer on TireRack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+ASX&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=06VR5EASX&minSpeedRating=H
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+ASX&fromCompare1=yes&partnum=06VR5EASX&fromCompare1=yes&tirePageLocQty=%26partnum%3D06VR5EASX (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+ASX&partnum=06VR5EASX&fromCompare1=yes&minSpeedRating=H#Survey)

So it really was no brainer.

Sounds great! I'd like to see how they compare with my new continental sport tires.

01-26-2007, 10:58 AM
40 k is pretty good the guy at the tire store told me i would be lucky to get 17 k out of my yokohamas. i actually bought my car with worn out kumhos on the front and brand new yokohamas on the rear. so i just matched the new tires with the already new tires on the rear. the kumhos were all chopped up and feathered {drove poorly} but the front control arm bushings were bad and it was out of allignment. it sounds like i will be changing tires in less than a year. what other tires are people running and liking?

dieseldriver99
01-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Mileage can depend on many factors. I would not be surprised to find the tires wear out quicker in hot climates. Some guy said he put on Michelin Pilots and lasted less than 10K miles on them.

40 k is pretty good the guy at the tire store told me i would be lucky to get 17 k out of my yokohamas. i actually bought my car with worn out kumhos on the front and brand new yokohamas on the rear. so i just matched the new tires with the already new tires on the rear. the kumhos were all chopped up and feathered {drove poorly} but the front control arm bushings were bad and it was out of allignment. it sounds like i will be changing tires in less than a year. what other tires are people running and liking?

MParallel
01-26-2007, 02:07 PM
$47 per tyre!?!?!

Holy motherf*** that for free!

My old Bridgestone Potenza's were $275 per tyre :S

They were excellent though.

German Pride 10
01-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Fresh tires can solve many issues.

dieseldriver99
01-26-2007, 03:10 PM
I had Potenza's before, but, there's nothing like Kumhos, bar none!

Here's one guy that reviewed the tire -

Kumho ECSTA ASX (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+ASX&partnum=06VR5EASX) (Ultra High Performance All-Season (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/uhpas.jsp)) Reviewer's Overall Rating: 10

http://www.tirerack.com/images/reviews/car.gif 1987 Mercedes-Benz 190E http://www.tirerack.com/images/trans.gifMore Tire Reviews for This Vehicle (http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyCommentsMMY.jsp?autoMake=Mercedes-Benz&autoModel=190E&autoYear=1987&autoModClar=&commentStatus=P&additionalComments=Y&index=0)
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_ecsta_asx_ci2_s.jpg
Buy/More Info
Kumho ECSTA ASX (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+ASX&partnum=06VR5EASX) Miles driven on tires: 6,000 Location: Lincoln, NE Driving Condition:
Combined Highway/City Driving Style: Spirited

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
AWESOME tire! Quiet, sticky and great tread wear. I have about 6500 miles on them and the still look and ride like new after my aggressive driving style. Great bang for the buck!

$47 per tyre!?!?!

Holy motherf*** that for free!

My old Bridgestone Potenza's were $275 per tyre :S

They were excellent though.

PicoDeLuuks
01-27-2007, 01:05 PM
I had the same Kuhmo tires on my Saab 900 vert. Absolute great tires for the money. A great replacement tire down the road for the conti's I have currently on my 325i.

dieseldriver99
02-13-2007, 09:13 AM
People have been conditioned to think that Cheap is generally Bad, thanks to human beings' invention called "Marketing"

I'm going on third sets of four tires, Ecsta's, my next swap is on the Jetta, for Kumho Solus.

Once ridden on, never going back to anything else...

I had the same Kuhmo tires on my Saab 900 vert. Absolute great tires for the money. A great replacement tire down the road for the conti's I have currently on my 325i.

jvmitche
02-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Let me just pile-on and say I just put the Kumho Ecsta ASXs 17s on my 318 convertible and they are great. I didn't realize how cruddy the ride was before.

Had some old Turanzas on that were just about worn out, I was riding on barrels! The difference is amazing, they are very quiet and the snow traction is impressive. Sure, more than a couple inches is not fun, but for your typical snow plowed slushy street they are great.

Thanks for the advice on the forum, I was considering several tires but the comments here put me over the top. They were $82 apiece on tirerack.com and shipped and installed were about $460.

dieseldriver99
02-16-2007, 12:06 PM
No problem - that's why BAV Auto presents Kumho's has Ultra High Performance Tires. For half the price of Michelin's, why even bother. I noticed that the Michelin MXV4 Plus' do not have good tread wear, and it's very noisy. Wht's interesting about the Kumho's are, I put 4 new ones on, for less than $260, including mounting and balancing. Plus, I do not hear anymore road noise. Handling, well, judge for yourself. It feels like I just added new suspension!

Let me just pile-on and say I just put the Kumho Ecsta ASXs 17s on my 318 convertible and they are great. I didn't realize how cruddy the ride was before.

Had some old Turanzas on that were just about worn out, I was riding on barrels! The difference is amazing, they are very quiet and the snow traction is impressive. Sure, more than a couple inches is not fun, but for your typical snow plowed slushy street they are great.

Thanks for the advice on the forum, I was considering several tires but the comments here put me over the top. They were $82 apiece on tirerack.com and shipped and installed were about $460.

palomino
02-16-2007, 04:54 PM
they are grippy tires, but theyre really loud.

dieseldriver99
02-20-2007, 12:35 PM
If you think your car handles now, wait until you swap them out with Kumho Ecsta's!

sprocket1200
03-11-2007, 07:57 PM
they must be making Kumho's better these days. buddy and i both had screwed up tires from them. both went to michelin, never go back

dieseldriver99
03-12-2007, 06:05 AM
These are my fourth sets of four from Kumho, tried Ecsta HP4's, Solus', and ASX, and love them all. Too bad for those had bad experience with them. Stick with Michelins and pay 3 times more for stock replacements. For me, I'll stick with Kumho's.

they must be making Kumho's better these days. buddy and i both had screwed up tires from them. both went to michelin, never go back

poorboyNY
03-12-2007, 08:01 PM
will all the kumho salesmen in the room please say "i"?

dieseldriver99
03-13-2007, 06:14 AM
Kumho salesman? Hmm, how about some GoodYear Eagles for you huh?

will all the kumho salesmen in the room please say "i"?

Cmart
03-21-2007, 09:31 PM
All I know is dont buy Nitto NeoGens unless you like spending money on tires often :/

Museindy
09-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Kumho sales man? LOL~~~

I put the Kumho on my Honda CRV. It runs great with less noise..

I also order Kumho my bimmer today... Nobody can beat their price in that quality.

If you plan to drive in the track, go and get other tires, otherwise, Kumho is more than enough for an ordinary highway driving (up to 100MPH).

Brashland
09-17-2007, 01:07 PM
+1000
I can't say enough
HOW MUCH YOKOHAMAS SUCK DONKEY SACK!
My Ecstas are quiet, handle well, and have already lasted 2X longer than the yokos and were less expensive.

M3rocket
09-17-2007, 03:46 PM
I have Sumitomo HTR+ tires on my M3 vert. The fronts (225/45R17) and rears (245-40R17) were $103 each, plus mounting. No complaints and I thought what a deal compared to Michelin, but now I'm curious how they compare to the Kumho Ecsta ASX at only $50.

RobHacker
09-17-2007, 05:55 PM
I'll give you a ride on my new Kumho's - wonderful!

Excellant! Bring them with you to the Vert meet on the 29th and give me a ride! :buttrock http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=825747

$200 for 4 plus $33 to ship them to Jersey...sounds good to me! When I need new tires, I'll def. give these a spin (pun intended)

bobbyp
09-17-2007, 06:07 PM
I have Sumitomo HTR+ tires on my M3 vert. The fronts (225/45R17) and rears (245-40R17) were $103 each, plus mounting. No complaints and I thought what a deal compared to Michelin, but now I'm curious how they compare to the Kumho Ecsta ASX at only $50.

How many miles on the Sumitomo? My rears wear out center in 8k miles! Fronts have survived 2 sets of rears and have most of tread still left - hardly look worn. I think I need a better/different tire considering the mileage I get out of these in the back.

Riick
09-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Michelin gets my vote. I've bought 2 sets at Costco, where they go pretty cheap.
Set #1 lasted over 50,000 miles.
Yes they cost more, but you don't need new ones frequently,
so net net net they cost about the same --per mile-- with less aggravation.

M3rocket
09-18-2007, 03:50 PM
How many miles on the Sumitomo? My rears wear out center in 8k miles! Fronts have survived 2 sets of rears and have most of tread still left - hardly look worn. I think I need a better/different tire considering the mileage I get out of these in the back.

Only have 8K on the fronts and 5K on the rears. No visible sign of wear yet.

I replaced the rears when I bought the car because they were worn on the inner edges. They had only 13K miles on them. I had the wheels aligned, but tech said the toe-in is typical on M3's and with no rotation, the rears go pretty fast.

50K on Michelins is unbelievable! All depends on how you drive, of course. I wonder how the Kumho Ecsta ASX mileage is...?

FLi GLi
09-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Kumho is more than enough for an ordinary highway driving (up to 100MPH).

I'm running Kumhos on my car and like them as well.

And they handle speeds well over 100 very nicely :cool.

jeffro0502
09-30-2007, 06:55 PM
My Kumhos just came from Tire Rack a few days ago. Had them installed at Walmart for $44 they did an excellent job. The tires are big improvement over the old ones...now the side windows don't vibrate when top is down. Car is nice and smooth.